Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    I'd get the lighter shoes.

Generally the lightest shoes are the ones without the fancy buckle. Velcro straps are about as light as you can get, and sometimes those velcro strap shoes are cheaper than the fancy buckle ones.

But for 50 bucks, I'd go lighter. Especially if the weight is that significant

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fit is important of course, stiffness is paramount. Comfort is tertiary... But if you are going to be concerned with weight, this has to be one of the most logical places to matter? You lift those feet a bazillion times every ride. 1/2 lb may be insignificant in many respects, but if you are concerned with lightening up by 1/2 lb this would a great place to take that savings, IMO, my unprofessional opinion... Dead thread or not, I think a lot of people will be interested in this thread. Save the weight.
    Last edited by PBL450; 07-19-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Matters to this guy and he has completed 8 consecutive Grand Tours and counting.

Cycling Shoes | Hanseeno

Out riding.
    You can spend $300-$400 on a shoe such as my Shimano S-Phyre compared to my heavy shoe that weighs 500grams you can shave 250grams per shoe and that's 250grams each coming off your bike. Where my bike weighs 8.5kg and with shoes it weight 9.5kg it now weighs just 9kg with shoes on (thats 19lb down from 20lb). But it's only going to make you quicker if you can ride quicker while going up hill and every bit of weight you save off your bike is a law of diminishing returns. Mind you you're talking about the difference in weight between a $100 shoe and a $300-$400 shoe and you can save weight cheaper by buying a nice stem and seat post for $400 first before you go down that path way.

I have noted new Strava PBs as I've made my bike lighter but that's me, it might not be you... it depends on how much you're training and how much of a fat ass you are. But when you head towards 8-9kg then the overall weight of your bike becomes fairly inconsequential, unless your a pro where every second gained counts. Then of course making your bike weight UCI legal will give you time gains of 30seconds over the duration of an entire race, if you're quick enough to pedal that fast.

That said there are other reasons to have more expensive shoes. Such as BOA clips. I wasn't sold at first but when you consider that you can have a clip that makes sure that the tension in your shoe is perfect within a click of comfort then it becomes something beneficial. I found with velcro straps it was a matter of having things too loose or too tight. With BOA clips you can dial in your comfort within a couple of clicks and never feel like you've got your shoes on too tight.
    Last edited by 1500SLR; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    threadLight Cycling Shoes important or not?-capture.jpg
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz View Post
    Matters to this guy and he has completed 8 consecutive Grand Tours and counting.

Cycling Shoes | Hanseeno
    I'm not sure a well known world tour pro with famously eccentric tastes in gear is the best comparison to make here.

Also, lots of people here are comparing extremely high end shoes to extremely heavy low end shoes to exaggerate the differences here. Mid range / inexpensive cycling shoes are really good and really light these days. I recently got a pair of 2018 Shimano RC7s: very comfortable shoes (YMMV), very stiff, very light and can be had for $120.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123