Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Light Cycling Shoes important or not?

43K views 55 replies 43 participants last post by  Hiro11 
#1 ·
Im about to order some new cycling shoes and wondering is the weight should be consideration?

The shoes Im considering both fit well and I like a lot, but one pair is about 100grams lighter, Also a bit more $.

Do lighter cycling shoes make any noticeable difference? Seems silly to ask but we spend so much effort/money on lightening our bikes, especially for the racers and competitive riders shouldn't shoe weight be a consideration also?

#2 ·
IMHO, yes. Do I own light shoes? No. If the lighter shoes are much more expensive, I would go for the heavier ones. But then, I don't race and the only reason I ride is for fitness and fun.

#3 ·
Any weight you can take off anywhere on your bike, body, water bottles, whatever, will make you go up hills faster. Weight would be low on my list of priorities when buying a shoe though. If you do go for lighter shoes, make sure you aren't sacrificing any sole stiffness. I have a feeling there may be more affordable ways to take off 100g, too. Some of those high-end shoes are mighty pricey.

#4 ·
If you are not a Cat 2, you will just be spending money.

If you want to go up hills faster, train more.

#44 ·
If you are not a Cat 2, you will just be spending money.

If you want to go up hills faster, train more.

Or better yet, shed weight off the engine. :wink:

#7 ·
I say spend as much money on shoes as you want. It's a direct contact point to your body. Never skimp on bibs, jerseys, jackets, shoes, socks, chamois cream, gloves, and saddle.

Losing the weight on the shoes is always cheaper than losing them in the pedals. And buying nice shoes is always more satisfactory than a nice pedal.

#14 ·
You realize you're talking about 3.5 ounces, right? How much difference could that make. I echo the posts above that say a stiff sole (carbon fiber) and a good fit should be your primary concerns. I'd also suggest that you visit the weight weenies forum.

#16 ·
Im talking about almost half a pound, its over 100 grams per shoe. If you think that amount is insignificant you obviously must not do any competitive cycling. Like I've said already they both fit/feel great and neither seems to have an advantage fit or feel wise. The only noticeable difference being $50 more for the lighter ones.

#17 ·
IMHO, the weight is MUCH less important than fit. Remember the shoes are basically attached to your cranks, so the weight that is being lifted on the rising upward stroke pedal is equal to the weight being pushed down by gravity on the downward stroke pedal. 200 grams off total bike+rider system weight has only a negligible effect in most cases.

#18 ·
If they both fit, then yes, the lighter shoes will make a very noticeable difference. And 100 grams for the shoes is a significant difference. They're in direct contact with your body, you're having to move them directly, they ain't gonna move unless you move them.
I'm stuck wearing a heavy pair of Carnac Legends. I haven't yet found a light pair that are wide enough. If I do, I'll switch in a second.

#19 · (Edited)
Do lighter cycling shoes make any noticeable difference?
They make as much difference as lighter pedals, lighter brakes, lighter frame or "lighter anything": they make no difference whatsoever by themselves, but they can make some difference as part of the system of lightweight components (where weight savings from each component add up to something more noticeable).

If you decided to lighten your entire bike by improving everything that can be improved, then choosing lighter shoes makes perfect sense. But if you are only considering the shoes and nothing else, then it will make no difference at all. Better select the shoes by the level of comfort, not by their weight.

Of course, as long as we are talking about a well-made modern bike, the weight of the bike is a completely inconsequential parameter. Its effects fall well below the "noise level" of a typical road ride, meaning that they are not detectable outside of exotic laboratory conditions and measurement environments.

#22 ·
The importance of rotating mass considerations is determined by the magnitude of RPM change and the distance from the axis of rotation.

Lighter wheels are not very important, but it is easy to make a theoretical point for lighter wheels in light of the above considerations.

In case of shoes the "rotating mass" considerations play no detectable role at all (unless unless your cranks are half a meter long and you go from 0 to 500 rpm of cadence in an instant).

#23 ·
Blow your budget

Shoes and pedals are the most important contact point on the bike because they impact both comfort and performance. Blow your budget IMO

#28 ·
Can always drop the weight from the heaviest part of the bike - you! But if you're one of those slim Italian physique types then maybe shoes is the only place to lose weight? But at the end of the day, its your money. Do whatever you want with it. As long as its a good fit :thumbsup:

#33 ·
"The shoes I'm considering both fit well & I like, but one pair is about 100 grams lighter"

I'm not very good at math, but the last I knew there were 2 shoes in a pair. That would equal about 50 grams per shoe or about 3.5 ounces per shoe.

I'm talking about almost a half a pound, it's over 100 grams per shoe."

I'm not saying that's untrue, but you have to admit it's certainly different from your 1st post

If you think that amount is insignificant you must not do any competitive riding."

It's probably just me but, I thought maybe there was a little condescending tone in that last statement. At any rate I'm guilty as charged. I raced a lot in the mid 60s through the late 70s & eventually worked my way up to cat 2. I'll be 70 in a few months & no longer compete because I just don't feel like it. I'mm in 2 cycling clubs both of which have very spirited rides. They're not actually competition. Sometimes I join in. Anyway, if your comment was not meant to be condescending I apologize in advance.

"Unless you're one of those forum regulars..."

Jeez! Guilty again.

"...that loves to make new members look like idiots for asking simple questions that are "so below you."

Nah, that's not me. I've been riding for a very long time & I still have lots to learn. There are several reasons I'm a regular at these forums. One is to learn, another is to help other cyclists when I can, & also I like the camaraderie. It's likely I could have couched my post in more "gentle" phrasing. One of my personality defects, & I'm not sure it's a defect, is if you don't want to know what I really think, don't ask me because I'll tell you.

Anyway...I'm ready to play nice if you are.

#35 ·
"The shoes I'm considering both fit well & I like, but one pair is about 100 grams lighter"

Anyway...I'm ready to play nice if you are.[/B]
The weight was per shoe, 110grams per shoe.

Im not into those "I'm right your wrong" inter web discussions, So lets not make assumptions as to intended tone.

It just didn't sound like you were into competitive cycling based on your response, no harm intended.

#34 ·
I went from a casual mountain bike shoe (leather-ish upper, rubber sole) and mtb pedals to SIDI SDS (sidi design, other manufacturer) road shoes and Look KEO pedals.

MUCH lighter, and a lot more comfortable. However, if asking about a minimal difference from one road shoe to another, probably not so important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.