Light road bike frame that can accommodate 700 x 32 tires? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Accepting disc brakes will really make this a lot easier. Pretty much any endurance road bike (many of which manufacturers will happily sell you as a frame) will accept 32mm tires. For example, my '19 Defy Advanced Pro 0 can actually fit 35s (despite it being advertised as only fitting 32s) with some room to spare. Another huge set of options are gravel bikes. Everyone is making these with a wide variety of geometries and niches they're trying to hit. The less adventure-y gravel bikes like the Checkpoint can easily keep up on a group road ride and can fit massive tires. The new Salsa Warroad might be right up your alley as well.
    Another good entry is the Cannondale Topstone. It comes with 40mm gravel tires, but if you want to do mostly road riding, you can easily put 32-36mm slicks on it and it will cruise just fine with the roadies. It looks like it even has a threaded BB!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I think he was looking for a non-disc brake bike that takes 32mm tires. I don't think one exists anymore.
    When you get bigger than 28mm it's usually not the frame that limits your choice, it's the rim brake calipers.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Hampsten Strada Bianca would fit the bill for big tires and caliper rim brakes, but far from cheap.

Strada Bianca – Hampsten Cycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just fit 43 mm Panaracers on my cross bike (with v-brakes). I've also fit 38 mm Panaracers on my two commuter bikes, which have fenders. They're also both cross frames with v-brakes.

My three road bikes (LOOK, Casati, Tommasini) with caliper brakes can only fit 28 mm tires. My Campagnolo Delta calipers on my Tommasini limit the tire size, not the frame itself.

I'm loving life on the fattest tires possible these days
    Last edited by nayr497; 1 Week Ago at 07:21 AM. Reason: sp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Hampsten Strada Bianca would fit the bill for big tires and caliper rim brakes, but far from cheap.

Strada Bianca – Hampsten Cycles
    Or the Max with room for 35mm tires.

MAX – Hampsten Cycles

And while not cheap, $2700\2800 hand made steel frame is fairly reasonable.

A call to Roland Della Santa may be another option. I've heard that he'll build a road bike with room for 32's, probably race geometry. $2000 for his
    Corsa Speciale.

https://www.dellasanta.com/build

There are bikes being built with room for larger tires and caliper brakes, you just gotta be willing to shop for something other than the main stays(Giant, Trek, Specialized, blah, blah, blah).
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Words to ride by.
    Too old to ride plastic

Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Or the Max with room for 35mm tires.

MAX – Hampsten Cycles

And while not cheap, $2700\2800 hand made steel frame is fairly reasonable.

A call to Roland Della Santa may be another option. I've heard that he'll build a road bike with room for 32's, probably race geometry. $2000 for his
    Corsa Speciale.

https://www.dellasanta.com/build

There are bikes being built with room for larger tires and caliper brakes, you just gotta be willing to shop for something other than the main stays(Giant, Trek, Specialized, blah, blah, blah).
    Betting you'd have to deflate the tire to get the wheel out of those brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Velo Orange Grand Cru Long Reach or Tektro R559 are dual pivot long reach brakes that'll work or Dia Comp 610's are center pull that's work. Or there are plenty of Mafac racer center pulls to be found that'll easily clear 32's and if larger tires are wanted old Mafac Raids or new production Compass center pulls will easily work with 42mm tires and fenders. Maybe larger tires without fenders. No deflating of tires with any of the center pulls and probably not with the dual pivots mentioned here either.

All these brakes will mount same as any other caliper brake on the fork crown and brake bridge.

Or with braze on mounts there are still cantilever brakes and V brakes
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I woulda been wise to large volume tires when I got my Della Santa I would have gladly had it built with clearances for 32's, happily deflating the tire to get the wheel on or off the bike if needed be.

But, alas, I was happy on 23's at that time so didn't think to go for larger clearances. I think about that every time I ride it on those 25's which are about as large as will fit.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't think so.

Reno Rambler: 2017

See the July,2,2017 link in the archives.

Light road bike frame that can accommodate 700 x 32 tires?-img_9802-ds.jpg
    Last edited by velodog; 1 Week Ago at 11:56 AM.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    When you get bigger than 28mm it's usually not the frame that limits your choice, it's the rim brake calipers.
    Looking at my 2014 Synapse Carbon, I see what you're saying. I'm using 28mm tires and right now, the closest clearance is the chain stays. However, there isn't exactly a football field of clearance under the rear brake caliper either.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Don't think so.

Reno Rambler: 2017

See the July,2,2017 link in the archives.
    Looks like Campagnolo tension release at the lever combined with a second one at the caliper-that'll do it.

Velo Orange Grand Cru Long Reach or Tektro R559 are dual pivot long reach brakes that'll work or Dia Comp 610's are center pull that's work. Or there are plenty of Mafac racer center pulls to be found that'll easily clear 32's and if larger tires are wanted old Mafac Raids or new production Compass center pulls will easily work with 42mm tires and fenders. Maybe larger tires without fenders. No deflating of tires with any of the center pulls and probably not with the dual pivots mentioned here either.

All these brakes will mount same as any other caliper brake on the fork crown and brake bridge.

Or with braze on mounts there are still cantilever brakes and V brakes
    Nice! Good to know

[REDACTED]
    If I woulda been wise to large volume tires when I got my Della Santa I would have gladly had it built with clearances for 32's, happily deflating the tire to get the wheel on or off the bike if needed be.

But, alas, I was happy on 23's at that time so didn't think to go for larger clearances. I think about that every time I ride it on those 25's which are about as large as will fit.
    I don't think V-brakes will work with STI shifters. Will the shifters pull enough cable for V-brakes to work properly?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Words to ride by.
    Light road bike frame that can accommodate 700 x 32 tires?-e6af10c7-f519-4a77-9641-4b06b602df59.jpg

This.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think V-brakes will work with STI shifters. Will the shifters pull enough cable for V-brakes to work properly?
    I'm not much of a cantilever or V brake kinda guy so I'm not really sure, but I am a centerpull kind of guy and know that they work with my Campagnolo 11spd shifters. Maybe nayr497 knows, he's running V brakes. Centerpulls mount higher on the fork reducing the chance of brake judder that can be had with cantilevers.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    Just fit 43 mm Panaracers on my cross bike (with v-brakes). I've also fit 38 mm Panaracers on my two commuter bikes, which have fenders. They're also both cross frames with v-brakes.

My three road bikes (LOOK, Casati, Tommasini) with caliper brakes can only fit 28 mm tires. My Campagnolo Delta calipers on my Tommasini limit the tire size, not the frame itself.

What kind of brake levers you using with those V brakes? Lombard wants to know if STI has enough cable pull.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E6AF10C7-F519-4A77-9641-4B06B602DF59.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	324936

This.
    But nobody makes caliper brakes that'll work with that wheel\tire combination.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    I'm not much of a cantilever or V brake kinda guy so I'm not really sure, but I am a centerpull kind of guy and know that they work with my Campagnolo 11spd shifters. Maybe nayr497 knows, he's running V brakes. Centerpulls mount higher on the fork reducing the chance of brake judder that can be had with cantilevers.
    I know cantilever brakes work with STI shifters.

Normal size mtb V-brakes don't work well w/ road shifters. Some of the 'mini-V's will. Road levers generally have too much leverage and not enough cable pull. There sort of the opposite of what a V-brake needs.

[REDACTED]
    Normal size mtb V-brakes don't work well w/ road shifters. Some of the 'mini-V's will.
    Got it!

Road levers generally have too much leverage and not enough cable pull. There sort of the opposite of what a V-brake needs.
    This is what I've always understood.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Do the pulleys with the extra cable loop like QBP's travel agent actually work for road lever/V-brake setups?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    Well well... Looks like we're back into "the do all be everything bike"
    Last edited by rudge66; 6 Days Ago at 02:03 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12