• 07-24-2017
    bdm
    Light road bike frame that can accommodate 700 x 32 tires?
    I'm looking for light road bike frames that can accommodate 700 x 32 tires. I want a bike I can use to get around town that's also decent on climbing rides. I bought a cyclocross bike thinking it might do the trick, but I hate the disk brakes. (And it's really heavy.) I read somewhere that Rivendell bikes might work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
  • 07-24-2017
    SantaCruz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdm View Post
    I'm looking for light road bike frames that can accommodate 700 x 32 tires. I want a bike I can use to get around town that's also decent on climbing rides. I bought a cyclocross bike thinking it might do the trick, but I hate the disk brakes. (And it's really heavy.) I read somewhere that Rivendell bikes might work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

    Referencing Rivendell, you should define what you mean by "light".

    With steel frames as a standard, look for something from the '70s'. No disc brakes, drop-out adjusters, tolerances for 32mm tires on 'club' bikes. Crank in the DO adjusters and slap on your tubular 25s for race day. Spread to 130 and install 10 or 11 speed drivetrains. But hardly light by today's standards.
  • 07-24-2017
    bdm
    I think their Roadeo is sub 20 lbs fully built. That would make me happy. But the lighter the better. I used to race a Klein quantum pro...Back then, that would have been my yardstick for light, but I'm a bit more lenient these days. :)
  • 07-24-2017
    Lombard
    You won't find any new bikes with rim brakes that can fit 32mm tires. That is just the way things are going. That's not to say these bikes can't be fast.

    The new Cannondale Synapse Carbon and the Trek Domane have room for 32mm tires. Not to mention there are gravel bikes under 20 lbs. that have room for 35mm+ tires.
  • 07-24-2017
    Jay Strongbow
    Budget? Seven Redsky would be great but not cheap.
  • 07-24-2017
    SantaCruz
    2 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 319885Attachment 319886

    Pics of my '81 Holdsworth Special (DB 531) with 33knobbie on rear, 30mm on front (both tubulars). Haven't weighed it with these wheels/tires.

    With 23mm tires on lightweight tubular wheels this 59cm frame and fully chromed fork comes in at 21.5lbs. Cost of frame & fork = $150.
  • 07-24-2017
    duriel
    With 32mm tires, your either going to have to go with canti or disk breaks, or PITA wheel changes with rim brakes. Don't really understand the hate for Disks.
  • 07-24-2017
    SantaCruz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Don't really understand the hate for Disks.

    I'm not a hater, but for most road applications discs are unnecessary, heavy, expensive, more difficult in set-up, etc. For the right situation discs are better - mtn biking, steep mountain downhills, extended riding in the rain or deep mud, etc.

    Let's not have another disc brake debate.
  • 07-24-2017
    Herbie
    Actually there are a few choices

    Canti. Which have been mentioned
    Center pull. See Paul Components for the high end
    Tektro extra long reach. I have these on two bikes. With kool stop pads they work well enough for me. I don't have any mountain terrain

    I strongly suggest you check out bicycle quarterly and compass cycles. This right up their wheel house

    One advantage of disc brakes is that they can generally be combined with either 700c or 650B wheels. Since the 650b is slightly smaller, they often can allow a wider tire

    I converted an old frame last year. Instead of being limited to 28s, I have 38s mounted
  • 07-24-2017
    Steve B.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdm View Post
    I'm looking for light road bike frames that can accommodate 700 x 32 tires. I want a bike I can use to get around town that's also decent on climbing rides. I bought a cyclocross bike thinking it might do the trick, but I hate the disk brakes. (And it's really heavy.) I read somewhere that Rivendell bikes might work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

    What c-cross bike ?. Disc brakes don't add a whole lot of weight.

    Bunch of steel road bikes can take 32's and would use 57mm long reach side pull brakes.

    Soma Smoothie ES, possibly a Surly Pacer, Rivendells,
  • 07-24-2017
    SantaCruz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You won't find any new bikes with rim brakes that can fit 32mm tires. That is just the way things are going. That's not to say these bikes can't be fast.

    This statement is not true.
    Checked Surly and Soma who both offer roadies, rim brakes and wide tire clearance. Without checking, I'm sure there are many, many others. But not light, by today's standards in CF race bikes.
  • 07-24-2017
    duriel
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Center pull. See Paul Components for the high end
    Tektro extra long reach. I have these on two bikes. With kool stop pads they work well enough for me. I don't have any mountain terrain.

    Who is Paul?
    Do the Tektro get around a 32 tire with the quick release?
  • 07-24-2017
    Lombard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    This statement is not true.
    Checked Surly and Soma who both offer roadies, rim brakes and wide tire clearance. Without checking, I'm sure there are many, many others. But not light, by today's standards in CF race bikes.


    Interesting. Soma looks like they make some retro frames.
  • 07-24-2017
    marathonrunner
    There are tons of these. Look at every single bike in Paris Roubaix. BMC Gran Fondo. Specialized Roubaix. Felt F-1 (good luck finding one though). Trek Domane. Focus Paralane. Cannondale Synapse.

    I have a 61cm BMC Gran Fondo 105 with disk brakes (my gravel racer) and it weighs 20 lbs set up to ride paved roads, not exactly heavy. And it's aluminum. And it fits 40mm tires.
  • 07-24-2017
    factory feel
  • 07-24-2017
    bdm
    Hey, thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looking forward to checking out the possibilities. (And, as for the brakes, hate is too strong a word...I just have a personal preference for caliper brakes.)
  • 07-24-2017
    Herbie
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Who is Paul?
    Do the Tektro get around a 32 tire with the quick release?

    Paul Component Engineering . Expensive parts, but very high quality. Small company

    The tektro 559 fit around 32's with fenders on my Salsa Casserole. I also decided to convert an old frame to 650B this year. Wanted to do it on the cheap, so used these brakes to get the reach. Not the best brakes in the world, but more than adequate here in the flatlands
  • 07-25-2017
    velodog
  • 07-25-2017
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Actually there are a few choices

    Canti. Which have been mentioned
    Center pull. See Paul Components for the high end
    Tektro extra long reach. I have these on two bikes.

    Here's another good option: https://store.velo-orange.com/index....akes-noir.html

    Plenty of room to spare with 32mm tires.
  • 07-25-2017
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Here's another good option: https://store.velo-orange.com/index....akes-noir.html

    Plenty of room to spare with 32mm tires.

    There are also ton's of Mafac brakes out there to be had, which will easily handle 32mm tires. I put a set on my wives bike that I converted from 27" to 700c and mounted 32mm tires and had room to spare. probably room for 35mm tires.

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...r&_sacat=57262

    Or a set of Compass center pulls, or Mafac Raids, and have room for 42mm tires and fenders. or larger tires with no fenders.

    https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...backing-plate/

    Etriers de freins velo Mafac Raid.1970's brake calipers. Randonneuse. 650B.
  • 07-25-2017
    Keoki
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

    Nice!!! lol
  • 04-10-2019
    mikivuckovich
    Canyon Endurace
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdm View Post
    I'm looking for light road bike frames that can accommodate 700 x 32 tires. I want a bike I can use to get around town that's also decent on climbing rides. I bought a cyclocross bike thinking it might do the trick, but I hate the disk brakes. (And it's really heavy.) I read somewhere that Rivendell bikes might work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

    In case you’re still looking, the Canyon Endurace road disc bike accepts 32c tires.
  • 04-10-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mikivuckovich View Post
    In case you’re still looking, the Canyon Endurace road disc bike accepts 32c tires.

    It's been almost 2 years and pretty much every disc brake road bike now takes 32mm or larger tires...I kinda doubt he's still looking.
  • 04-11-2019
    Lombard
    I think he was looking for a non-disc brake bike that takes 32mm tires. I don't think one exists anymore.
  • 04-11-2019
    Hiro11
    Accepting disc brakes will really make this a lot easier. Pretty much any endurance road bike (many of which manufacturers will happily sell you as a frame) will accept 32mm tires. For example, my '19 Defy Advanced Pro 0 can actually fit 35s (despite it being advertised as only fitting 32s) with some room to spare. Another huge set of options are gravel bikes. Everyone is making these with a wide variety of geometries and niches they're trying to hit. The less adventure-y gravel bikes like the Checkpoint can easily keep up on a group road ride and can fit massive tires. The new Salsa Warroad might be right up your alley as well.