Long Cage vs Short Cage Derailleur
    slyjackson

Long Cage vs Short Cage Derailleur

I am building a new bike and I am using a 39/50 double crank and I want to use a 11-28 sram cassette and a Shimano America Ultegra SL RD-6600-G Rear shorter cage Derailleur. Benefits of a shorter cage length from what I have been able to find :

- Snappier shifts
    - better chain tension
    - less chain slap / greatly decreased drive train noise (!)
    - Better obstruction clearance / improved spoke clearance.
    - Slight weight loss -- but you gotta be a real weight weenie to appreciate this one.

The problem is, I read in some areas that this short cage derailleur biggest gear support is a 29T and then I read that the biggest is a 27T. Im getting mixed info on this.

My question is, have anyone of you guys used a cassette with a 28T gear on it with a short cage Shimano derailleur? If so, any shifting problems on the 28T?

Thanks in advance !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    each der will have a capacity listed in its instructions or on their website. there is a calculation to determine the capacity of your drivetrain:
    [big chainring - small chainring] + [Largest rear cog - smallest cog] = capacity

you can be a bit off and still do okay. the problems come up when you are running smallest chainring and smallest cog - thats where cage length matters (it takes up excess slack).

duh...
    you might be disappointed in the benefits you list... it's more about chain wrap capacities, both long & short have published specs of 27t max. whether you can get away w/ 28? well, there is always the fudge factor, will prob work, but may not be the smoothest- whether it would be noticable is another thing

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

slyjackson
    I think it may be better just to get a "medium/long" cage and not worry about it..

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slyjackson
    I think it may be better just to get a "medium/long" cage and not worry about it..
    AgreeŚmost of the so-called advantages of short-cage derailleurs reside only in the mind of the beholder, especially the one about snappier shifts.