Long Rides-What bike do you ride-long
    RoadBikeReview Member

Long Rides-What bike do you ride-long

I am getting ready to go do tha America Most beautiful Bike Ride this sunday and am wondering what bike should I bring. The reason I ask this is because I have just purchased a new 02 Trek 5200 in team postal colors.
    I have been riding my Waterford 2200 for most of the year and have put about 1500 miles on it. I have changed saddle three times going from a flite gel to prolink to flite gel. I have not been completely comfortable on any of these saddles but have done rides of 50 miles + on them without to much pain.
    I got the Trek less than a week ago and have put over 100 miles on it and have found it nothing short of awesome. When I got the trek I also put a fizik arroine on it and have found it very comfy. My longest ride on the Trek was a ride around folsom lake, 60 miles with about 4500 climbing. To put it mildly I was stunned at how "easy" the bike was to pedal and how silent it seemed. After I was done with that ride I hopped on the Waterford to see how it felt and was kind of shocked to feel the road buzz in the handlebars. I though that the steel would have taken most of it out..
    I have been under the impression that steel bikes are supposed to be more comfy on longer rides. Both of these bikes have very similiar geometrys and are set up with the same stem, handlebars. The Waterford seems to be a bit sluggish, even after putting on the bontrager race lite rims, after riding the 5200. The 5200 just seems to surge during each pedal stroke and seemed to take most of the road buzz out of the equation.
    So I am wondering which bike to take to this ride, a bike from a manufactuer that only turns out 4-5 bikes a day or a bike that I will see over and over amongst the 3000+ riders in the ride. Thanks for any input you may have..

Diesel Engine
    Ride what feels best to you, it's just a bike ride...

You seemed to answer your own question in your narrative.

RoadBikeReview Member

You couldn't be clearer about which bike you should ride

I'd probably prefer the Waterford and would choose it, but YOU should definitely take the Trek. Lets see - you're more comfortable on it, it feels easier to ride, you prefer the non-road buzzy feel of the Trek, and the saddle on the Trek is more comfortable, etc. How could you NOT choose it?

-Ray

Cipo's long lost cousin

Pick the bike

Pick the bike that's made in Wisconsin. The choice is clear...
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

Bikespace member
    seems like a clear choice to me too. if you're concerned about how 'common' the trek is, why did you get it? put streamers on the bar ends. there probably won't be many 5200's in postal colors with those on them and you'll easily spot your bike from all the others. :-)

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Ride the Trek. Give it a thorough workout. Give it a true test.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member

Ride the Trek -

But you also ask what we ride.

I have a Litespeed Tuscany and a Vanilla custom. Both are great bikes. The Litespeed is a bit lighter (alot lighter after I load the saddlebag onto the Vanilla) and feels a bit more lively on a climb. But, for long rides, like 200+ miles, I prefer the Vanilla.

Both bikes have the same wheels, but different bars, tires, saddles. I can ride the Vanilla all day & night & feel great the whole time. The Litespeed ride isn't quite as smooth as the Vanilla and I feel fatigued sooner than I do on the Vanilla. The bars, saddle & tires on the Vanilla help the comfort. Vanilla has Kestrel bars, Brooks Swift saddle & Rivendell Ruffy-Tuffy tires. Litespeed has Deda Magic bars, Selle Italia Trans Am Flite saddle & a mix of 700x23 tires.

Aug 2002
    Isn't the Trek 5200 the same (or similar) one the USPS team rides or has ridden 2400 miles around France every July? Seems like a good testament to its long ride comfort and performance.