Looking for the best bluetooth speaker that would fit in a water bottle cage
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Looking for the best bluetooth speaker that would fit in a water bottle cage

Hello all,

I searched for this question and the only legit thread was over 4 yrs old and most important, there was no info shared. So I thought I'd try again.

I do have a speaker right now, but doing the research I did, it's about 1/3 in watts from the most powerful one I found. I have the Boom 2 from UE;
    https://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/w...rs/boom-2.html
    This one aint bad, but it would be nice to get something better.

I looked for someone that has done a review with the criteria being, it has to fit in the water bottle rack. I'd like to add that it could use one Velcro strap.

Here's what I found so far. I guess #1 will be the most favored. Also I'm leaving the option to be able to re-bend my water bottle cage, if needed;

Zamkol ZK202 30W
    JBL Flip 4 30W
    Tronsmart T6 Plus 40W
    Tribit StormBox 24W
    Zamkol ZK306 30W

I doubt I found all the possibilities. So if anyone has anything to share, please do.

Please, for those that find the need to lecture the ones interested, save it. I myself don't need it and I'm betting no one else does. But feel free to start another thread that addresses the dangers of using a speaker on your bike.

OK so anyone else have any speaker(s) that want to add to the list?
    Last edited by User1; 07-22-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Well, start by getting this.
    https://www.backcountry.com/arundel-...xoCfnIQAvD_BwE
    It expands to the size of a 32 Oz nalgene. I donít know for sure, but I think my UE mega boom would fit. (And it is MUCH more secure than a standard water bottle holder, it cranks down tight).
    But I come across you listening to Korn out on some remote trail, I will sick a grizzle on you. Which would be ironic, because that cage should actually have bear spray in it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by User1 View Post

But feel free to start another thread that addresses the dangers of using a speaker on your bike.
    Dangerous? Maybe in certain wild scenarios but not that likely. What is far more likely is looking like a tool and annoying everyone you come in contact with. Some don't care I guess. A single BT earphone is much preferred

PCM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gloverb103 View Post
    What is far more likely is looking like a tool and annoying everyone you come in contact with.
    ^^^
    This

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I've seen a couple riders on group rides that had speaker during the ride. I don't recall anyone being annoyed by it. As a matter of fact, I jammed to a couple of the songs right along with the rider. I guess it all depends on the type of people you ride with and the type of ride it is. If you ride solo, then who cares what other riders think. You are in public space. I don't ride with a speaker, but wanted to share with you one of the BT speaker I use that you may want to add to the your list.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never Give Up!
    Donít be a tool, as road bike riders we get enough smack let alone without adding to unsolicited music loud enough for the neighbors to here as you ride byÖ.

better off connecting a blue-tooth earbud to your phone and enjoying all the music you want during your ride without bothering your neighbors, your friends and/or other fellow riders in your area.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I've seen a couple riders on group rides that had speaker during the ride. I don't recall anyone being annoyed by it. As a matter of fact, I jammed to a couple of the songs right along with the rider. I guess it all depends on the type of people you ride with and the type of ride it is. If you ride solo, then who cares what other riders think. You are in public space. I don't ride with a speaker, but wanted to share with you one of the BT speaker I use that you may want to add to the your list.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    That speaker was actually the first speaker I bought. I think it's 1 or 2 gen below this one. That speaker doesn't fit that well in the rack, cause of the shape.

I ride group rides that like to have some tunes, and me personally, I support riders that bring their tunes and if they're bringing it, they can play whatever they like.

The bigger "party rides" you are pretty much able to roll and check out the tunes and find something you like to roll next to. I would argue that you can even roll where it's pretty quite.
    Last edited by User1; 07-23-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Eddy 53:11
    OMG. I hope Velominati does not hear about this thread.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I know Sears used to offer an entire radio you could mount on your handlebars. I remember some old crank who used to have one, set to the "oldies" station as he pedaled up and down the MUT at 5mph. Even had streamer on his bar ends......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Donít be a tool, as road bike riders we get enough smack let alone without adding to unsolicited music loud enough for the neighbors to here as you ride byÖ.

better off connecting a blue-tooth earbud to your phone and enjoying all the music you want during your ride without bothering your neighbors, your friends and/or other fellow riders in your area.
    The group rides are moving, so no one is stopping in front of anyone's home and playing music. The riders would be passing by the house and in their space maybe a few seconds, if that, so I don't see how that's disturbing them...no different than someone driving by in a car playing music or folks on the Harley's playing music.
    Last edited by Methodical; 07-23-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
    '12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
    Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by User1 View Post
    That speaker was actually the first speaker I bought. I think it's 1 or 2 gen below this one. That speaker doesn't fit that well in the rack, cause of the shape.

I ride group rides that like to have some tunes, and me personally, I support riders that bring their tunes and if they're bringing it, they can play whatever they like.

The bigger "party rides" you are pretty much able to roll and check out the tunes and find something you like to roll next to. I would argue that you can even roll where it's pretty quite.
    Sounds like you ride with riders that are pretty cool with the music and not tight asses. Like I said, it depends on the type of ride and the folks you ride with. I could care less. It's public space, so there is no expectation that one can have privacy in a public space.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Never Give Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    The group rides are moving, so no one is stopping in front of anyone's home and playing music. The riders would be passing by the house and in their space maybe a few seconds, if that, so I don't see how that's disturbing them...no different than someone driving by in a car playing music or folks on the Harley's playing music.
    You don't need to be stopping in front of someones house, I guess if your riding in populated areas the music will slightly be drowned out buy other traffic noise etc.. ... and like you said "no different than someone driving by in a car playing music or folks on the Harley's playing music".

However I guess I'm looking at this one sided, as 90% of my rides/group rides are in rural neighborhoods where there is not much traffic and noise level will carry.

As for the Motorcycle rider with there blaring music and/or cars, I'm not big fan of that either.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    loud enough for the neighbors to here as you ride byÖ.
    Can you HEAR it if I ride over HERE?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    You don't need to be stopping in front of someones house, I guess if your riding in populated areas the music will slightly be drowned out buy other traffic noise etc.. ... and like you said "no different than someone driving by in a car playing music or folks on the Harley's playing music".

However I guess I'm looking at this one sided, as 90% of my rides/group rides are in rural neighborhoods where there is not much traffic and noise level will carry.

As for the Motorcycle rider with there blaring music and/or cars, I'm not big fan of that either.
    The music is not louder than the sound of a motorcycle passing by or a bus or a truck or a delivery van or a tractor, dirt bike, ATV or, well you get the picture. In other words, the neighborhoods will not be immune from external sounds and the low volume of music on a bike is the least loudest of them all.

I just can't imagine someone on a bike causing much of a disturbance when passing homes in rural areas that are miles apart. You just don't spend that much time passing by the house on a bike. I ride in rural areas too and we pass the homes within a few seconds and they are usually set far enough off the road that the sound from a small speaker on a bike is irrelevant. As a matter of fact, if the residents are outside, they typically wave at the group of riders.
    Last edited by Methodical; 07-26-2020 at 11:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Not sure how long this will be offered, but there's the JBL Link 10 for sale to the public for $25!

ATT offer - https://www.att.com/buy/accessories/...Source=4485850

Specs - 16 watts and 6.6" x 3.4" kinda can fit in the parameters set, at least this could be a nice home unit that's portable.
    Last edited by User1; 07-28-2020 at 10:48 AM.