Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,422

    Looking for Orthopedic Doctor in SoCal

    Been having pain on the outside of my right leg just below hip for about 1 year. Have been to two orthopedic doctors, had an MRI, X-ray, PT and cortisone injection. Nothing so far has helped. Stopped riding my bike 6 weeks ago. Saw the doctor again today, only diagnosis is possible tendonitis located at same spot on X-ray that shows calcification. He recommended that I get a second opinion at this point. Most doctors around here are mostly doing joint replacement surgery and not treating injuries so much, also many specialize in knees, elbows, shoulders and won't see me for pain located elsewhere. I am in San Diego north county but willing to travel to L.A.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,075
    Take up swimming and stay off the bike for three months and re-evaluate.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,422
    Yeah, have been swimming for 1 hour three times a week.
    Upper body is getting muscles that were non existent before.
    The real swimmers are zooming by at double my speed.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,075
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    Yeah, have been swimming for 1 hour three times a week.
    Upper body is getting muscles that were non existent before.
    The real swimmers are zooming by at double my speed.
    Hopefully it is a simple overuse injury that has manifested itself as a warning sign.

    I know how near impossible it seems to stay off the bike but it usually gets easier as time goes by.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,422
    It is hard but it got to the point I wasn't enjoying it much because of the pain or worrying it was making it worse. Actually went yesterday for a super easy flat 20 mile ride with my wife and it went ok but not planning to do that on a regular basis at this point. Thanks for the advice.

  6. #6
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Reputation: Mapei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,028
    SCOI. Southern California Orthopedic Institute. Dr. Auerbach expertly repaired my seriously broken wrist in 2016. Sogno saw a different doctor and was a happy patient there in 2017.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GlobalGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    375
    The reference to "hip" is vague and can mean many different areas. Identify what's known as your greater trochanter AKA GT. (I'm speculating that's what you are describing when you say hip.) You almost certainly have tendonosis of a tendon that attaches to the GT. The calcification indicates it is long-term injury. The tendon is most likely attached to your gluteus medius muscle.

    The only way to get over it is with proper treatment AND physical therapy. You may not be able to get over it but simply learn through trial and error on how best to keep it under control or manageable.

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,075
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    It is hard but it got to the point I wasn't enjoying it much because of the pain or worrying it was making it worse. Actually went yesterday for a super easy flat 20 mile ride with my wife and it went ok but not planning to do that on a regular basis at this point. Thanks for the advice.
    It is hard, real hard to do but in time you may find, as I have recently that I have stayed off long enough now to where I actually have broken the addiction (2 months).

    I have had some self doubt such as “what if I fall out of love with cycling?”

    I believe when I pick it back up again it will be in a more balanced and healthy way. It was mentally tearing me down not being able to ride at a level I believed I should be At.

    The mental part of this stuff is brutal.

    Keep us updated !

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    The reference to "hip" is vague and can mean many different areas. Identify what's known as your greater trochanter AKA GT. (I'm speculating that's what you are describing when you say hip.) You almost certainly have tendonosis of a tendon that attaches to the GT. The calcification indicates it is long-term injury. The tendon is most likely attached to your gluteus medius muscle.

    The only way to get over it is with proper treatment AND physical therapy. You may not be able to get over it but simply learn through trial and error on how best to keep it under control or manageable.
    I think you have described it pretty well.

    I have been to PT twice in the last year. The first session involved a lot of strengthening exercises, many which seemed to aggravate it. More recently it was mostly massage and "A-Stim" which also seemed to aggravate it. Now that it has been 2 weeks since I stopped PT the pain seems less. So I am not sure if there is a PT which will help or if PT should make the pain worse for it to get better.
    Doctor today gave me a prescription for Meloxicam. My first thought was I didn't want to try it because Aleve did not help but after reading some reviews it looks worth a try.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    It is hard, real hard to do but in time you may find, as I have recently that I have stayed off long enough now to where I actually have broken the addiction (2 months).

    I have had some self doubt such as “what if I fall out of love with cycling?”

    I believe when I pick it back up again it will be in a more balanced and healthy way. It was mentally tearing me down not being able to ride at a level I believed I should be At.

    The mental part of this stuff is brutal.

    Keep us updated !
    I know exactly what you are saying and going through.
    Cycling certainly has an addictive quality for some of us.
    Over the past 5 years or so I have had to rethink my approach to cycling because my competitiveness was causing me to go into periods of deep fatigue where I would have to stop riding for months and feel really bad. So I have really moderated my riding and that has helped a lot and it is just as enjoyable of not more so than it was when I was pushing myself to the limit. So it has not been as difficult as I thought it would to quit riding. Taking up other interests in life has also helped.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,881
    I would go to a sports medicine doctor for a second opinion. Orthopedists may or may not be that good at focusing on issues for those of us who are very active. A sports med doc (physiatrist) would be the best route to go.

    PT can be very useful, but only if done correctly and given the right kind of exercises. I'm thinking they should have given you some flexibility excercises since cycling without doing other activities can make you quite stiff.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GlobalGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    375
    Reduce inflammation and rest is step one. Without doing that first the prognosis is guarded. Injection of a corticoid steroid is often indicated but unfortunately, it requires a skill that "average" or for that matter most but not all orthopods lack.

    After inflammation and dealt with and adequate rest acquired the underlying problem almost always is based on a lack of flexibility or improper muscle balance or leg length discrepancy. In some cases, a too high of a seat for the individual, especially given their problem, further aggravates.

    Consequently, strength exercises are seldom helpful. (At least not as initial treatment.) As often or not they cause or aggravate the specific problem.

    After rest and reduction of inflammation stretching and muscle balance is most often the ticket. In the context of muscle balance at a certain point and done strategically then light strengthening exercises may very well be indicated.

    When it comes to stretching note that stretching just the affected muscle, usually the gluteus medius and minimus that you also need to increase flexibility and muscle balance in the entire leg and back too.

    The key is doing it right and patience as you can't cure it overnight. You can usually after treatment for inflammation and pain continue to bike but be conservative.

    DO NOT under any circumstances exercise or stretch or attempt to rehab the tendon and muscle for at least three or four days should you get a corticoid steroid into the tendon.

    As always, don't overstretch in stretching sessions, either in duration or in repetitiveness.

Similar Threads

  1. Uh Oh - Orthopedic Doc
    By snapdragen in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 07:26 AM
  2. Torn Meniscus. I might need Orthopedic surgery. :(
    By spinwax in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 07:00 PM
  3. Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this.........
    By MR_GRUMPY in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 11:53 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 02:57 PM
  5. orthopedic surgeons??
    By SCSkim83 in forum Northern California
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 10:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.