Looking to purchase a new Garmin cycling computer.
    Master debator.

Looking to purchase a new Garmin cycling computer.

My Edge 500 finally bit the dust. One button on the left side doesn't work, and the battery won't make it two hours anymore. I have been using my Forerunner 945 watch, but I miss just looking straight down at a cycling computer.

Last weekend I was lost so I got my phone out to see exactly where I was, and where I needed to be to get back on track. So I could see some sort of navigation being useful.

I've had time to watch one review of the Edge Explore cycling computer, it looks cool. I see the 1030 is on sale for $399.00, or about $150.00 more than the Explore. When I get time I'll try and watch a review of that one.

Any recommendations based on personal experience?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Adorable Furry Hombre
    By now the 1030 is probably out of Public Beta. For $399, if you don't mind a Garmin, I'd say it is a nice buy. It is very large, FWIW. Which is nice for navigation and font size...OTOH it does best resemble a full on smartphone (say early iPhones) in how big/chunky the case it.

Of course....given that that device was originally $599, and they're still making money selling it for 40% off shows just what the profit margin is on those devices.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Neophyte
    Going from a 500 to a 1000-Series might be size shock for you...

I had a 500 way back, loved my 520 when I switched to it. I got a deal on a 520-Plus when the 530 came out, it's pretty much 520 + full maps and it's okay although for some reason I still like the 520 more. The 530 might fit your bill.

I find that routing/maps on the "smaller" 520 size screen is fine. But I'm usually following a route line, not looking at street names, etc. And to be honest zooming in and out is a bit of a pain. So if looking at a good map is a requirement, maybe the 1030 is indeed a good thing for you to take a look at.

As you surely already know, everything you need to know about all the Garmins is on dcrainmaker.

Master debator.
    I was reading something about it needing a firmware upgrade to match the 830? I wonder why the 830 isn't on sale. I only have limited time here at work to research, I'll be able to look more later tonight after my bike ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had the 1030 since shortly after it came out - love it, not missing anything that I would want that it doesn't do. It's been updated to match the 830 features, many of which I think are pretty gimicy and after trying probably won't use. The big screen and the menu system are awesome, battery life as advertised. If I was shopping again for a computer I'd buy it for sure. Used it for Navigation on long events like DK200 and it's awesome.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I am using an 820 now. It worked fine my me. There are probably many features I don't use but I really want maps and real turn directions so it works for me

Master debator.
    Had the wife order me the 530 for my birthday. I wanted the Edge Explore, but it doesn't have a barometric altimeter and a couple of other minor features. I wouldn't have minded a touch screen, but I do a lot of cycling with gloves on that may not have worked so well, so I'll live without that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2019
    Love my 1030 for road riding and would never go back to the small screens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk