A lucky break today
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

A lucky break today

Went out for a longer ride on a super-hot day today. At the end of my ride, 100 feet from my own driveway, the rear tire blows out. I look at it and see that the tire was worn to the casing. Bad on me for not catching this earlier, but I felt very fortunate that I was not left stranded many miles from home in 95F degree heat

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Went out for a longer ride on a super-hot day today. At the end of my ride, 100 feet from my own driveway, the rear tire blows out. I look at it and see that the tire was worn to the casing. Bad on me for not catching this earlier, but I felt very fortunate that I was not left stranded many miles from home in 95F degree heat
    Last weekend, I was out for a long ride on a likewise hot day, and was using a section of the NYS Canal bike trail. I came upon an older woman in one of the more remote parts of the trail with an older upright bike who had a flat tire. I looked at the tire, and it was obvious that the casing was falling apart (being probably 25 years old and dry-rotted). The casing had come apart around the bead, and the wires had frayed, puncturing the tube and leaving a carcass that could never hold air again. Poor lady had some sort of ankle issue; said she couldn't walk the approximately 1 mile to either where her car was, or where the nearest trail access was (can ride, but can't walk??!!). Of course, I was riding with tubulars, so I didn't have anything I could help her with. I let her know that both tires were unsafe, and needed to be replaced.

I guess she ended up calling her husband to come get her. Still not sure how she got out if she "couldn't walk". Maybe he brought a wheelbarrow with him.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Darling of The Lounge
    A blowout 100 feet from your driveway? If it were me, I would have called my wife to pick me up...then catch hell for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Had my first tubeless flat... in my basement.
    Was thankful I wasn't on the road.

When its this hot out, I make sure to put some salt in my water bottle.
    Last edited by rudge66; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:53 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    Had my first tubeless flat... in my basement.
    Was thankful I wasn't on the road.

When its this hot out, I make sure put some salt in my water bottle.
    I use Nuun tablets on hot days. I can't say for sure that they work, but they do taste better than just water. The next two days here in Jersey are supposed to be absolutely punishing. I think I will just do a short ride tomorrow and take a day of Monday

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love the heat and Strong Sun when riding. I like sweating out.
    Beware stoping you'll heat up quick,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post
    I love the heat and Strong Sun when riding. I like sweating out.
    Beware stoping you'll heat up quick,
    Yep, it's not too bad when moving, but stopped at a long light it gets warm fast!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    A blowout 100 feet from your driveway? If it were me, I would have called my wife to pick me up...then catch hell for it.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Retro Grouch again.

The worst is when you're close enough to home that you don't feel like dicking around with doing a repair, but far enough that you don't feel like walking, and the wife isn't available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Went out for a longer ride on a super-hot day today. At the end of my ride, 100 feet from my own driveway, the rear tire blows out. I look at it and see that the tire was worn to the casing.
    If the tire was really so worn that the casing failed, then it is hard to imagine you didn't see this coming. Alternatively, your definition of a "blow out" is different than the rest of us. Or, you just happened to hit something that cut your tire so close to home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    If the tire was really so worn that the casing failed, then it is hard to imagine you didn't see this coming...
    Yes, I noticed that too ... But seeing the guy just wanted to be thankful he's not stranded in the high heat, and is Grateful to get back home, is humbling.

Considerably hotter today for road rides.
    Preparation. Pay attention NY East Coast.
    Last edited by rudge66; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:06 PM.

Never Give Up!
    Went out Saturday morning with a buddy who finished putting his bike back together the night before... so he thought!. Temps where already approaching the mid/high 80's, however about 10 miles into the ride I hear hold-up Ant... Hold-up I have an issue.

I turn back around to find my buddy dropped his chain, he forgot reinstall the chain catcher. The chain is now sucked into and in-between the rings and the BB and he can't get it undone. He asked if I carried a chain tool and /or the little tool need to loosen the cranks caps so he can pull the cranks and fix the the problem... of course I don't carry any of these tools... waited 30 minutes in the baking hot sun for his wife to pick him on the side of the road.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    The next two days here in Jersey are supposed to be absolutely punishing.
    You've bigger stones/heat tolerance than me. Heat index in Southeast Virginia today was 107. Iím tapping out until itís a cooler 90. This heat wave sucks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    I turn back around to find my buddy dropped his chain, he forgot reinstall the chain catcher.
    He actually forgot how to adjust his front derailleur. Shouldnít happen less you downshift under power on a VERY bumpy surface.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    You've bigger stones/heat tolerance than me. Heat index in Southeast Virginia today was 107. Iím tapping out until itís a cooler 90. This heat wave sucks.
    My heat tolerance has gone down as I've gotten older. I have been riding the last few days, but I am avoiding pushing too hard and its less enjoyable. Today was the triple-whammy: hot, humid, poor air quality alert.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    My heat tolerance has gone down as I've gotten older. I have been riding the last few days, but I am avoiding pushing too hard and its less enjoyable. Today was the triple-whammy: hot, humid, poor air quality alert.
    When I was in my 20s and 30s, I loved riding hard on extremely hot days, mostly MTB. But not so much now. Also, I check the air quality index. Too much ozone bothers my throat and lungs.

Never Give Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    He actually forgot how to adjust his front derailleur. Shouldnít happen less you downshift under power on a VERY bumpy surface.
    Agreed... crossing over some rough asphalt and starting to climb a small hill and dropped his chain!

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I think it's cool you guys can ride in the really hot weather and not burn up; I can't. I hate riding in the really hot weather. I do not like being out in the really hot weather. I am nocturnal.

If I start out in cooler temps and it heats up, I am ok because my body acclimates to the rising temps, but if I start out in *90 weather, I always get overheated. My riding range is 20-89* I get on the trainer when it gets over 90*.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I think it's cool you guys can ride in the really hot weather and not burn up; I can't. I hate riding in the really hot weather. I do not like being out in the really hot weather. I am nocturnal.

If I start out in cooler temps and it heats up, I am ok because my body acclimates to the rising temps, but if I start out in *90 weather, I always get overheated. My riding range is 20-89* I get on the trainer when it gets over 90*.
    When its really hot and humid and the air quality is poor, I have often wondered if it would be better to train indoors (safer, able to push harder). But, I also want to get miles against my goal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    When its really hot and humid and the air quality is poor, I have often wondered if it would be better to train indoors (safer, able to push harder). But, I also want to get miles against my goal.
    I've tried pushing hard (and not really really hard either) when it was really hot outside and I overheated every time. After the 3rd time, I took no more chances. It's just not worth it for me. I actually "now" enjoy getting on the trainer with TrainerRoad. I used to hate the trainer (was like watching paint dry), but TR provides goals to reach that makes me forget that I am on the trainer.

Never Give Up!
    I have very hard time riding indoors/trainer even-though I have a decent setup with a overhead HD projector and large screen (100") connected to FIOS, along with IMO an outstanding blue-tooth sound system for that full move effect and not to mention the ability to connect to my iPhone and play over a hundred hours of music without hearing the same song twice.

I would rather be outdoors riding regardless of the heat!

2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    I have very hard time riding indoors/trainer even-though I have a decent setup with a overhead HD projector and large screen (100") connected to FIOS, along with IMO an outstanding blue-tooth sound system for that full move effect and not to mention the ability to connect to my iPhone and play over a hundred hours of music without hearing the same song twice.

I would rather be outdoors riding regardless of the heat!
    I try to ride outdoors but every summer there are a couple of days where the heat/humidity/pollution turn riding into drudgery ans I just decide not to do it. If I ride in the basement, I try to make it a hard workout

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    If the tire was really so worn that the casing failed, then it is hard to imagine you didn't see this coming. Alternatively, your definition of a "blow out" is different than the rest of us. Or, you just happened to hit something that cut your tire so close to home.
    Maybe. I was on a ride once where one of the riders hit a pothole with both tubeless tires. Sidewalls slashed on both, that was an Uber ride home. I presume he was using some super light paper thin racing tires. I hit the same hole with my tubed Vittoria Rubinos and not even a pinch flat.

And before anybody here says I should have been looking where I was going, there was traffic and nowhere to swerve to avoid the hole unless I wanted to become intimate with some automotive sheet metal.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.