luggage racks for carbon frames
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

luggage racks for carbon frames

Other than Arkel Randonneur, Tail Fin, or using a Roberts Bob Thru Axles with Blackburn or OMM racks: are there any other products out there for carbon frames specifically? I don't mind an attachment to the seat post but I do not want to attach anything else to the frame. Thx.

Cleavage Of The Tetons

Cleavage Of The Tetons

[REDACTED]
    The Topeak products are nice because the bag and rack have a track. You just slide it on and it clicks in. Presto!

Do you need a bag with panniers or just a beam bag? Their products are below:

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/racks
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Thx for responding-I'd prefer to have a rack for panniers because but I do not want anything attaching to my carbon frame. I am willing to accept a seat post rack provided that there is little or no sway when traveling. The only seat post rack I found that has this capability is the Arkel Randonneur. I am trying to find a less expensive one. My load while touring is about 15 lbs.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    How do the Topeak options ‘sway’, in your opinion?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Seat post racks sway because they are not fixed to any other part of the bicycle other than the post. The Arkel seat post rack is fixed onto the saddle rails instead taking the pressure off the post. I am trying to find similar systems which give this kind of stability.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Sounds like you know the answer, dig deeper in your couch for some more coins, and buy the one that really does what you are looking for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    The Topeak products are nice because the bag and rack have a track. You just slide it on and it clicks in. Presto!

Do you need a bag with panniers or just a beam bag? Their products are below:

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/racks
    Hey, that Roadie Rack in the picture on the right has two skinny struts that attach above the dropouts. That would be an okay scheme to clamp on a 15 pound load I would think. The struts are the answer to shifting loads.

I'm seeing those big seat post packs thrust out under the saddle. They look ridiculous, but riders are going cross country with tent and sleeping bag tacked up back there, so they must work.

Putting the weight right over the rear wheel or down the sides, is the way to do it. It's a very steady 4 point mounting system. Panniers keep the weight down low for a nice steady ride. I would think 15 pounds would be heavy enough to feel bouncing around way up there under the saddle. Never tried it, though.

For that weight, the trusty backpack gets pulled out, the grocery getter/short distance commuter. Also in downtown DC, if you leave anything on your bike, it'll be lifted before you get back, lights, frame fit pumps, computers, stuff like that. So I take it all with me it in the backpack. They get sweaty, press the butt harder on the saddle, and get uncomfortable over a long ride.

A few options you may not have thought about, Hartley1.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 4 Days Ago at 08:21 PM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Hey, that Roadie Rack in the picture on the right has two skinny struts that attach above the dropouts. That would be an okay scheme to clamp on a 15 pound load I would think. The struts are the answer to shifting loads.

I'm seeing those big seat post packs thrust out under the saddle. They look ridiculous, but riders are going cross country with tent and sleeping bag tacked up back there, so they must work.

Putting the weight right over the rear wheel or down the sides, is the way to do it. It's a very steady 4 point mounting system. Panniers keep the weight down low for a nice steady ride. I would think 15 pounds would be heavy enough to feel bouncing around way up there under the saddle. Never tried it, though.

For that weight, the trusty backpack gets pulled out, the grocery getter/short distance commuter. Also in downtown DC, if you leave anything on your bike, it'll be lifted before you get back, lights, frame fit pumps, computers, stuff like that. So I take it all with me it in the backpack. They get sweaty, press the butt harder on the saddle, and get uncomfortable over a long ride.

A few options you may not have thought about, Hartley1.
    OK, Boomer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    OK, Boomer
    Boomers brought you vinyl records, TV, and the internet. Don't knock 'em.

Recently found out, being 4 days younger than Mick Jagger in '43, we're 3 years ahead of the Boomers. They started after WW2 in '46. I fired up a ham radio station in '56 built out of WW2 surplus bomber equipment available over at Uncle George's Radio Ham Shack. I used a Morse code key to hide my age and got pretty good at it. Still have the "straight key" originally off a Naval vessel. Nothing but the best. Stayed in Morse code, the original digital medium, and worked 225 different political entities in every corner of the world. Those were tony days, son. The revolution was well underway.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Boomers brought you vinyl records, TV, and the internet. Don't knock 'em.
    One out of 3 aint bad.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by hartley1 View Post
    Thx for responding-I'd prefer to have a rack for panniers because but I do not want anything attaching to my carbon frame. I am willing to accept a seat post rack provided that there is little or no sway when traveling. The only seat post rack I found that has this capability is the Arkel Randonneur. I am trying to find a less expensive one. My load while touring is about 15 lbs.
    What are you carrying that only weighs 15lbs that you need panniers? One of the Topeak bags "telescopes" up to where it's pretty large without panniers:

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...tx-trunkbag-dx

Note: If your seat post is carbon, you can't use a seat post rack or it could crack. You need to swap it out for an alloy post so you can tighten it to where it won't sway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    The Arkel racks claim to work with carbon posts because the pressure is on the saddle rails not the post but I have both alu and carbon posts.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I have the Arkel rack and love it. I use it on long rides as well as in bad weather when I want to carry extra clothing. I also have the Arkel bag that goes with it, but that would be too small for overnight use, IMO.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Hi-Have you carried loads as much as 15 lbs? Have you been able to carry light panniers as well? Thx