Thread: Man vs Machine

banned
    Nov 2009

banned
    Sep 2015
    That's what happens when you have a big head.

A couple of take aways I believe can be extracted from the video.

One, the rider was clearly or rather unclearly wrongheaded and two, better to be lucky than good.
    Last edited by 11spd; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:08 AM.

Out riding.
    You play with train sirens you get run over and killed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Locally, we've got a few crossings like that (double tracks AND long passing sidings that look like double track) and I've seen car, pedestrian & cyclists caught off guard but escaping death. Indeed, in many instances, people are rushing the crossing guard, not realizing it's still down for another train.

One of my favorite railfanning locales is a true double track and I learned early on... don't stand on one set of tracks to take pics of a train on another unless U know it's clear!!!

Road Warrior
    That falls into the Natural Selection Process for Thinning the Herd!!!

In rural areas most crossings do not have warning barriers-signs-signals and you need to look before you cross. That dumb-ass as a death wish..

Out riding.
    It doesn't look like that crossing has crossing guards more so flashing lights and sirens at best. Maybe it has none of the above, who knows. It's inexplicable when a crossing like that should by rights have a boom gate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
    It doesn't look like that crossing has crossing guards more so flashing lights and sirens at best. It's also the United States so maybe it has none of the above, who knows. The rail system you guys have is chronically underfunded because in a system that is user pays no one wants to pay for anything. It still doesn't explain away stupidity, but it goes a long way to showing why this crossing doesn't have a boom gate when it should.

Definitely not the US. Loco says UK (low clearances). Some crossings do have audibe signals. I'm interrested in the barricade. It might indicate a crossing closure because they were INSTALLING guards.

Out riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Definitely not the US. Loco says UK (low clearances). Some crossings do have audibe signals. I'm interrested in the barricade. It might indicate a crossing closure because they were INSTALLING guards.
    Didn't read the story hence my edit. Seems like its elsewhere. After years of stuff like this here in Australia we pretty much don't have a single crossing that is open anymore... Even still the point has relevance. Amtrak has been chronically underfunded for more than 30 years.

Yes I put too much together but hey... Either way its a pretty relevant point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Something else occurred while reviewing this video.

It's highly likely that the Engineer saw the cyclist and applied full emergency braking. The Engineer, most likely required a bit o therapy after thinking he/she just ended someone. At least a half mile to bring that puppy to a halt. Indeed, there might even have been injuries among passengers. Wish stories like this had better/easier follow up.