Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    Hope these pics are a little better. The FSA compression plug in the pick is how Cannondale wants it. I don't think it was installed correctly when the bike was built but I adjusted it when I learned about them a few years back. The other plug is longer then I thought. The length brings it right to the top bearing. I'm open to using any compression plug, even a different one from what I have.

I'm not a power full guy. 175 lbs 6 feet tall. I don't race, just love cycling. This bike is now gonna be used in the fall and my travel bike. I like taking my bike with me when I go on vacation (if possible). Stem is 100 mm and I still have all the stock spacers under the stem. 30 mm or so.

I wouldn't mind on recommendation if those compression plugs arnt right. I just bought a new bike, another Cannondale. It's gonna be the bike I use mostly in the summer and would like to avoid any issues with it. It's a supersix so it's practically the same setup as this bike.

Thanks for all the help. All you guys been awesome.
    OP,
    Great pics and see it a lot better. Looks like carbon now.

Groove size and depth are a non issue. Felt that way before and new pics confirm it.

As Cx said, deep version of the compression plug is what the doctor ordered...all the way down to top bearing from top of steerer is very robust support of the entire steerer above the bearing.

Your size and weight are non threatening to steerer failure. You and I are close to the same size and neither of us are gorilla's to break handlebars or steerers when sprinting out of the saddle.

Ride it in good faith. Remember, if you want to change the stress concentration away from the groove, simple change the stack height by 3mm or so lower which will move the groove under the stem clamp. Btw, this is not necessary based upon your pic and all you describe.

Out riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    It's a carbon steerer full carbon fork.

I had someone look at it and said it's fine. I'll just keep an eye on it.

I've usually tightened to the upper limits. I probably should just tighten to what's needed. Should thr spacers below the stem be easily turned after everything is on correctly?
    Buy a torque wrench you silly person

Without a torque wrench on carbon component you're an accident waiting to happen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123