Masks (Non COVID)
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Masks (Non COVID)

So my typical ride takes up PCH between San Clemente and Dana Point. After a few weeks a month on all the leading edges forks, seat stays, cables there's a black sooty build up. I see that and I think man, should I be wearing a mask. Anyone else wonder about that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Never have that problem. Only normal dirt and not that much of that. Guess I am fortunate. I couldn't ride with a mask. Too hard to breath. I don't like to wear a balaclava in the wintertime. Just something to keep my head and ears warm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I agree. I don't think I could wear a mask but it is troubling to a degree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    So my typical ride takes up PCH between San Clemente and Dana Point. After a few weeks a month on all the leading edges forks, seat stays, cables there's a black sooty build up. I see that and I think man, should I be wearing a mask. Anyone else wonder about that?
    Particulate pollution. Possibly motor vehicle exhaust but possibly just dust. If you ride in foggy weather you can get impingement precipitation on the leading edges of the bike and then the resulting wet surface is a dirt magnet. There is no reasonable mask you could wear that would also allow you to exercise vigorously.

banned
    Feb 2016
    Ride up GMR more often. That puts you above the pollution and soot. Well, much of it as there is far less traffic.

I did wear a mask when they had the big fires 15 (?) years ago. Funny getting home with a raccoon mask.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Particulate pollution. Possibly motor vehicle exhaust but possibly just dust.
    The majority of it is dust from soil... so dirt and plant bits. About 30% is nasty stuff, and the main component of that is tire residue and brake dust.

I got that from a paper abstract, so it must be right.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I got that from a paper abstract, so it must be right.
    That depends on who published the paper. If it was by a mask company, then take it with a grain of salt.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    That depends on who published the paper. If it was by a mask company, then take it with a grain of salt.
    Somehow I doubt an article published by Aussie academics in "Chemosphere" almost 10 years ago is part of the conspiracy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Somehow I doubt an article published by Aussie academics in "Chemosphere" almost 10 years ago is part of the conspiracy.
    I somehow also doubt they were talking about the air in a particular small area of California.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I somehow also doubt they were talking about the air in a particular small area of California.
    Most of the black stuff on the bike is coming off the road. Which is why riding in the rain or wet gunks up the bike so much, and does not clean the bike off.

The actual air quality varies by weather, wind speed and direction, traffic volume, how much of that traffic is diesel, etc etc etc. On PCH, chances are very good that most days the air for a rider going south (seaside) will be better than for one riding north. Because wind. Avoiding rush hour will cut a lot of the air pollution breathed as well. But drivers are breathing more bad stuff than cyclists, iirc some studies I have seen. So I won't be worrying air pollution when riding, personally.