Mavic Ksyrium SR spokes - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Well, I have had great results with mavic wheels. My Ksyriums have over 17,000 miles, and my Open Pros have over 25,000 miles and absolutely no issues. Haven't had to so much as twist a nipple. Also a set of Mavic cosmos that I've lost track of the miles, but probably over 20,000.
    That's great for you...your personal experience w/ 2 sets of wheels. I could blow up the RBR server w/ my experiences w/ Mavic 'engineering'.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Old thread but after reading the comments I thought I'd add my $0.02. Proprietary wheel systems suck for all the reasons mentioned. Thus, the primary reason I ended up spending my money on an Easton SLX tubeless wheelset. The only proprietary part is the spoke nipple. The spoke itself is a standard j-bend spoke that can be found at any bike shop and it can be trued using a standard spoke tool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkretsch View Post
    Old thread but after reading the comments I thought I'd add my $0.02. Proprietary wheel systems suck for all the reasons mentioned. Thus, the primary reason I ended up spending my money on an Easton SLX tubeless wheelset. The only proprietary part is the spoke nipple. The spoke itself is a standard j-bend spoke that can be found at any bike shop and it can be trued using a standard spoke tool.
    Easton's latest EA90 SLX uses straightpull doubled butted bladed spoke in anodized black. While this spoke is not proprietary, I highly doubt that just any bike shop would carry it. The most like scenario is that a shop will have to order it from Easton (they're not going to waste time trying to scour the internet to buy)

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jkretsch View Post
    1. If the spoke nipple is proprietary, how does that differ from the spoke being proprietary? What will stop Easton from charging $50 for a nipple?
    2. You've been a member here for almost 15 years. Your 11-th post is this thread dredge. Visit more often.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    1. If the spoke nipple is proprietary, how does that differ from the spoke being proprietary?
    It's a dual threaded nipple. That doesn't affect the spoke at all. The internal thread is identical to a standard nipple.

What will stop Easton from charging $50 for a nipple?
    The market? No one is going to pay $50 for a nipple.
    They've always been available for a couple bucks.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    You've been a member here for almost 15 years. Your 11-th post is this thread dredge. Visit more often.
    post count shaming!!!

I bought into Spinergy SPOX (2 road, 2 MTB) which not only uses proprietary spokes and nipples, but requires 2 proprietary wrenches to true/build as well. That makes me special.

Years ago, I stocked up on nipples and a handful of replacement spokes.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    post count shaming!!!

I bought into Spinergy SPOX (2 road, 2 MTB) which not only uses proprietary spokes and nipples, but requires 2 proprietary wrenches to true/build as well. That makes me special.

Years ago, I stocked up on nipples and a handful of replacement spokes.
    I had a set of those -- road wheels. They came with the little wrenches for truing. They had an interesting ride - almost like a suspension bridge feel to them. They always scared me though. I heard that if a rear spoke -- basically a flexible wire -- breaks, it whips around and whacks you in the leg, and keeps doing so until you stop.

After they'd sat in my basement for at least a decade I sold them on ebay for next to nothing. I must have had 10 sets of wheels i sold on Craigs List -- they all sold except those Spox wheels. For some reason, nobody wanted them. Spinergy must now make them for wheel chairs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12