Mavic Ksyrium SR spokes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018

Mavic Ksyrium SR spokes

Hi all. I am new to the forum.
    I was riding a set of Ksyrium SR wheels and broke a driveside spoke.

Good gosh they are hard to find.

Since they sell them in packs of 8-10, does anyone out there have an extra they want to sell?

Mavic Tracomp drive side spokes 297.5mm

Awesome wheels, but currently useless.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Oddly enough there's a section of the forum for exactly this type of question. It's called:

Wheels and Tires
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

a real member's member
    your bike shop doesn't have a similar spoke they can provide?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    your bike shop doesn't have a similar spoke they can provide?
    ALL Mavic spokes are completely proprietary. The SR rear is half aluminum and half carbon spokes I believe. There is nothing 'similar'.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ALL Mavic spokes are completely proprietary. The SR rear is half aluminum and half carbon spokes I believe. There is nothing 'similar'.
    why would anyone buy a wheel where he can't simply replace a spoke?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Been there, done that with this same issue, except this was with Mavic Crossmax mtb wheel. Similar proprietary bladed spoke issue, where there are 3 different kinds (i.e. rear-drive-side, rear-non-drive-side, and front spokes are all different). Even worse is the way the spoke nipples interface with the rim. Officially Mavic says that you should ship the wheel to them to fix the problem, and then they'll ship it back to you!

Yes, there are spoke kits that can be ordered, but finding available ones online was a challenge. I finally had success by going to local shops until I found one that had the compatible spoke kit, and they were able to sell me the replacement parts so I could fix it myself.

Exactly.

banned
    Nov 2009
    never take the bike you own with mavic wheels on a tour of any kind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    sadly, no. These are pretty special spokes--half aluminum, half carbon, 2mm in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by rickh View Post
    sadly, no. These are pretty special spokes--half aluminum, half carbon, 2mm in diameter.
    Which we've posted about repeatedly and is a very good reason to steer clear of Mavic wheels. One of many.

banned
    Nov 2009
    I'm hearing they're half Aluminum half Carbon, a lot of people are saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I'm hearing they're half Aluminum half Carbon, a lot of people are saying this.
    I'd swear I just heard that recently myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Which we've posted about repeatedly and is a very good reason to steer clear of Mavic wheels. One of many.
    Thanks for the advice, but sadly, not helpful: i have the wheel and need a fix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Well, I have had great results with mavic wheels. My Ksyriums have over 17,000 miles, and my Open Pros have over 25,000 miles and absolutely no issues. Haven't had to so much as twist a nipple. Also a set of Mavic cosmos that I've lost track of the miles, but probably over 20,000.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

banned
    Nov 2009
    Try letting your LBS handle the repair for you.

Drop it off and see what happens, you might be mightily rewarded.

I'm pretty sure that any shop can send a wheel to Mavic for a rebuild if it's relatively current and Mavic have the parts needed. Yours is pretty new so it shouldn't be a problem. Call around your local shops and find one that will send it in for you. Hopefully that idea has crossed your mind at some point because an internet forum can only help so much.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Are we to dig through our parts bins and find the spoke for this fellow?

Come on OP get it fixed or move on to another brand wheel.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Your bike shop should be able to get a Mavic spoke for you. I had a set of Ksyriums and broke a rear spoke once. My shop replaced it for something like $5-$10. I rode those wheels for years and years. I never had to true them and only broke a spoke once. They were the original Ksyriums that I paid $800 for when they first came out. After time, I concluded that for the same money, you can get a better custom made wheel that's lighter, more aero and more easily repaired.

Posting anything about Mavic wheels on this forum is going to get you a lot of snide, unhelpful comments. Try your LBS. Replacement spokes made by Mavic are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Your bike shop should be able to get a Mavic spoke for you. I had a set of Ksyriums and broke a rear spoke once. My shop replaced it for something like $5-$10. I rode those wheels for years and years. I never had to true them and only broke a spoke once. They were the original Ksyriums that I paid $800 for when they first came out. After time, I concluded that for the same money, you can get a better custom made wheel that's lighter, more aero and more easily repaired.

Posting anything about Mavic wheels on this forum is going to get you a lot of snide, unhelpful comments. Try your LBS. Replacement spokes made by Mavic are out there.
    People need to have a little bit of initiative and desire to get something fixed. Too often they come here and ask tons of questions and waste a bunch of time waiting for answers instead of just hitting a few shops and seeing what they can do. All we're going to do here is say "Go to a bike shop...". Its' not like anyone here is going to magically produce some spokes. If I had a broken wheel the last place I would go for help would be an online forum.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I agree. Any bike shop selling Mavic products probably has them on hand and could certainly order them. Send the wheel back to Mavic? Seems like over kill for a broken spoke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I agree. Any bike shop selling Mavic products probably has them on hand and could certainly order them. Send the wheel back to Mavic? Seems like over kill for a broken spoke.
    Lots of people have the Kysriums and like them I'm sure. They're pretty strong and fairly reliable. But if for some reason you do have problems Mavic hasn't made it so easy to find available parts. I've had a much easier time fixing broken spokes on 15 year old Campy wheels.

However with similar issues with the Mavic Crossmax wheels it's worse, because it is more likely that you could encounter problems with broken/bent spokes in MTB riding/racing (i.e. just hitting a small stick on the trail can randomly jump up get wedged in your wheel!).

I purchased those Crossmax wheels used, and they were pretty good for awhile and stood up to a lot of punishment. But eventually I ran into issues like a spoke getting stripped out in the spoke nipple threading. The Crossmax proprietary spokes and their spoke nipples that are sort of built-in to the wheel was not something I could fix on my own. The result was prohibitive cost to fix them in having to send them into Mavic. Not worth it, so the wheel is effectively dead and useless. I'm certainly not the only one out there who's been in this same boat.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Yea...I never see this. Whether it is Mavic or Fulcrum or what have you. Why spend $80USD to stock a collection of spokes for wheels you almost never sell either retail, and seldom sell as OEM on floor bikes...and probably never make money off the parts stock?

Fulcrum AKA Campagnolo also plays this game--expensive proprietary spokes--that they only sell in $50USD+ sets.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Yea...I never see this. Whether it is Mavic or Fulcrum or what have you. Why spend $80USD to stock a collection of spokes for wheels you almost never sell either retail, and seldom sell as OEM on floor bikes...and probably never make money off the parts stock?

Fulcrum AKA Campagnolo also plays this game--expensive proprietary spokes--that they only sell in $50USD+ sets.
    Yeah, you're telling this to a guy who has two sets of Campagnolo Neutron wheels. The $50 replacement sets are two spokes -- I assume rear drive and non-drive. Dumbass you say? I couldn't help myself -- they were going on Italian carbon bike frames. I don't think my 125 lbs wife will be able to break them, and I'm pretty easy on wheels to. Still it kind of sucks that Campy would soak their customers like this. And now that the UK places seem to have quit selling Campy groups, I'll probably be going back to Shimano. No way I'd pay $1200 for a Chorus group.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Yeah, you're telling this to a guy who has two sets of Campagnolo Neutron wheels. The $50 replacement sets are two spokes -- I assume rear drive and non-drive. Dumbass you say? I couldn't help myself -- they were going on Italian carbon bike frames. I don't think my 125 lbs wife will be able to break them, and I'm pretty easy on wheels to. Still it kind of sucks that Campy would soak their customers like this. And now that the UK places seem to have quit selling Campy groups, I'll probably be going back to Shimano. No way I'd pay $1200 for a Chorus group.

One of my roadie mates had some Fulcrum 1s from a few years back.

A pawl went kaput and needed replaced....took 2 weeks to get. Had a spoke break, had to buy a $50 spoke kit to get it. Even our LBS, that's great, said "yea, we'd never rec a Fulcrum set again" after all of that. After some freak rim-bed corrosion was discovered when tubeless wouldn't stay sealed...he went back to handbuilts and threw in the towel on them
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    One of my roadie mates had some Fulcrum 1s from a few years back.

A pawl went kaput and needed replaced....took 2 weeks to get. Had a spoke break, had to buy a $50 spoke kit to get it. Even our LBS, that's great, said "yea, we'd never rec a Fulcrum set again" after all of that. After some freak rim-bed corrosion was discovered when tubeless wouldn't stay sealed...he went back to handbuilts and threw in the towel on them
    But you can actually find available Campy spoke kits, and you can repair it yourself. Unlike with Mavic wheels (see issue with stripped spoke that I mentioned below).

I've got 3 sets of Campy wheels, Zonda, 15 year old Neutrons, and 20 year old Electrons. I've beat the hell out of these wheels (Neutrons were road wheels for awhile, but then I started using them as my CX racing wheels). They have stood up to a lot abuse, and I've had to replace a few spokes along the way. But totally worth it and love them for their durability. Hell, I was able to fix a worn hub cone on the Electrons, and they are still going strong.
    Last edited by GearDaddy; 07-19-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast