McLain Rollers replacement belts?
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    884

    McLain Rollers replacement belts?

    So, I have a 25-30 year old set of McLain rollers, and today the rear (fan) belt broke. Anyone have tips for finding a replacement, maybe something from another manufacturer? The belt is 7.5” or so long, measured from the center of the roller bolt to the center of the fan mounting bolt.
    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    acg
    acg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, I have a 25-30 year old set of McLain rollers, and today the rear (fan) belt broke. Anyone have tips for finding a replacement, maybe something from another manufacturer? The belt is 7.5” or so long, measured from the center of the roller bolt to the center of the fan mounting bolt.
    Thanks in advance!
    The belts for the Kreitler rollers may work:

    https://www.kreitler.com/spareparts/
    Merlin Extralight Campy
    Airborne Lancaster XTR
    Planet X Uncle John Campy

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,981
    I had a friend who successfully shortened the length of a tubular roller belt, Kreitler or equivalent, for a mutual friend.
    He cut it to length and butt spliced the ends together with adhesive. After the adhesive cured, he used a razor blade to shave the joint smooth.

    If you want the name of the adhesive, let me know and I'll ask my friend.

  4. #4
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I had a friend who successfully shortened the length of a tubular roller belt, Kreitler or equivalent, for a mutual friend.
    He cut it to length and butt spliced the ends together with adhesive. After the adhesive cured, he used a razor blade to shave the joint smooth.

    If you want the name of the adhesive, let me know and I'll ask my friend.
    That would be great, I can’t imagine what adhesive would be strong enough for this. I am striking out with the manufacturer...

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,981
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That would be great, I can’t imagine what adhesive would be strong enough for this. I am striking out with the manufacturer...
    Give me a day or two to hear back from my friend.

  6. #6
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    26,058
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The belt is 7.5” or so long, measured from the center of the roller bolt to the center of the fan mounting bolt.
    Thanks in advance!

    If you want to search for belts, you will want to use the circumference, not the center to center distance. Because the diameter of the pulleys makes a difference.

    Fixing it might not work, given the age you might have some rot going on. Glue might work, or you can try this method, since you won't have much to lose: https://youtu.be/fwOAD41JWG0 uses an iron to melt it together. If not, you might get a longer roller belt and try to cut it to size and melt it together, depending on if the belt is similar width.

    I would start with seeing if a Kreitler belt will work, as acg suggested. But find the circumference of your old one as your first step. Which is easy to do accurately, given it is broken.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

  7. #7
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    884
    The old one is 24”. It is not the long belt that goes between the front and rear rollers (which is much thinner), but the rear one that connects to the wind resistance fan unit.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,921
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The old one is 24”. It is not the long belt that goes between the front and rear rollers (which is much thinner), but the rear one that connects to the wind resistance fan unit.
    If it is the typicall "tubular belt" rather than a flat belt, you might try searching for O-rings of that length. Then you'll need to sort through the materials to get a tough one - polyurethane is what you need, I think.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Give me a day or two to hear back from my friend.
    I made a mistake-my friend did NOT use adhesive to join the ends of the belt together. He told me he heated the ends with a propane torch and pushed them together. He ended up with a raised ring at the junction, which he removed with a belt sander.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    If it is the typicall "tubular belt" rather than a flat belt, you might try searching for O-rings of that length. Then you'll need to sort through the materials to get a tough one - polyurethane is what you need, I think.
    If your belt is a similar diameter, you could buy a Kreitler belt and modify it as above.

    In fact, if you buy a regular Kreitler belt, you'd have enough length to practice or make mistakes and still result in a usable belt. Use the hot iron method mentioned above and you won't need a propane torch or a belt sander, which not all people have.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,232
    you might want to see if these folks could help you...their stock of o-rings is impressive.

    O-ring Kits | Austin TX
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    ...their stock of o-rings is impressive.
    there is a filthy filthy joke in there somewhere,







    .. and I'm hoping that one of you will follow thru.

  13. #13
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    884
    I actually got one from, get this...the manufacturer!

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    820
    I know Al Kreitler (rip) used to "weld" belt ends together as a complementary service. I'm still using one, but probably just jinxed myself. No idea how he "welded" them but I can imagine something like a ski base extruder might do.
    Last edited by GKSki; 12-18-2018 at 05:14 AM.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I actually got one from, get this...the manufacturer!
    Occam's Razor.

  16. #16
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Occam's Razor.
    It took a bit of sleuthing. They now make mostly wheelchair rollers that use this short belt, I think that’s way cool.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    820
    Yup, jinxed myself. Killer Headwind fan belt broke right at the original weld just yesterday. Will be pulling out my ski waxing iron to see what I can do with it.

Similar Threads

  1. cell phones and chastity belts
    By gutfiddle in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 08:41 AM
  2. seat belts
    By Touch0Gray in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
  3. Mclain Rollers--Any experiences?
    By jlgoodin78 in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 03:32 PM
  4. Replacement Belts for Rollers
    By juan antonio in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 04:39 PM
  5. Kreitler belts
    By juan antonio in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 12:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.