Is it me, or are the roads in really bad shape?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Is it me, or are the roads in really bad shape?

So far this year, I've been able to do 950 miles - enough to notice the generally poor shape of most roads in Northeast Ohio (Cleveland area). As far as I can tell, there are two primary drivers of this:

1. An especially harsh winter with roads freezing/thawing from late November to late March - about a month longer than is usual for this area.

2. The ever constricting budgets of local governments. As businesses go under and tax bases are significantly hit, I'm guessing officials are forced to go longer between authorizing road resurfacings/repairs.

My poor bike, especially my new 1500g wheelset, has borne the brunt of the pitted byways. While I attempt to miss as many as I can, the potholes are simply too many to miss all. Furthermore, I've been forced to reduce my average speed by 3-4 mph on many roads in order to dampen the effects of road impurities that can't be avoided.

What are everyone's experiences with this this season? Please list geographical area in response - thanks!

Formosan Cyclocross
    American roads are terrible. Nobody can or wants to pay taxes to fix roads.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan View Post
    Yeah, we've got the same thing around here, especially in the past few years. Big tires and "floating" as much as you can really helps.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

waterproof*
    Yep, moreso in urban areas, central cities especially. They use a lot of asphalt here in TX and in the heat with heavy traffic, these massive lumps and valleys and ridges and cracks appear.
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Here around Detroit, it's pretty horrible in most places. I have routes mapped out that contain good roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    So. Orange County, CA., generally beautiful for riding.....clean, great shape, some bike lanes, rolling hills all over

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... it's phunny cuz many detractors from cycling infrastructure don't seem to realize just how hard motorized vehicle traffic is on northern roads and can't seem to fantom how dollar for dollar, something designed and maintained for cycling is near infinitely (ok, maybe not infinitely) cheaper!!!

FWIW, automobile makers have spent billions on suspension systems to make the average driver not care or realize just how poor the road surface is.

Frog Whisperer
    the federal money is being poured into the interstate highway system while the means to get to them crumble under us.....
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Unhappy

Canadian roads are bad too, maybe worse because of our severe freeze/thaw cycles.
    I've been at the same workplace for 20 years and the deterioration is terrible. I used to commute on Record Strada tubular wheels, I use a mountain bike with Rock Shox now and it's still a rough ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, that's one part. The other part is that when roads are fixed, or newly done, they are such poor quality that they require fixing within at most two years. And don't believe that crap about "harsh weather" or any of this kind of sh!t: Other countries have harsher climates, and their roads are just fine. This country, on the other hand, is dropping down to third-world status, and in many respects is already there. I wonder how long it will take for people to wake up and realize that this is the case. I won't hold my breath...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jefferson County in Northern NY does a great job paving their roads.
    Neener, neener, neener... : )

donuts?
    as the budget woes continue, the potholes get worse. i'll take a pot hole laden stretch of road over a milled surface that is left for months though. my arms go numb after the first mile.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I live in Ohio as well and this winter was especially brutal to the roads. I am thinking about getting a mountain bike just to do some road riding. They're horrible
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2011 Specialized Crux Pinky SS
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2015 Trek Farley 6 Fat Bike
    2011 Fuji D6 3.0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Just imagine you're riding Paris-Roubaix and go ahead and ride!
    Newbie:

2010 Malvern Star OPPY C5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    That's why riding lightweight wheels and 23mm tires is just plain silly unless you're racing. Don't get me wrong - that's what I have on my lightweight road bike (and I don't race!), but I'm really enjoying riding my cross-commuter with the 32's and slightly heavier wheels on it. I probably just as many miles on it as the other since I got it built up and enjoy it every bit as much as my "real" road bike. I do ride the light one whenever I get the chance, but it's usually with others with similar bikes and we all kind of gravitate to the better roads.

Try putting some 25's or, if you can fit them, 28's on your bike. Good quality 28s will roll very nice and you might feel more bullet proof and comfortable on them.

la dolce vita
    At least where I live, everytime I fill up, I pay taxes.
    insert witty comment here

Hanging 10 bra
    Our roads here are absolutely horrible! In fact I lost an Iphone due to the badly maintained roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, nobody wants to pay taxes and that has consequences. You don't get something for nothing.

la dolce vita
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    Yep, nobody wants to pay taxes and that has consequences. You don't get something for nothing.
    We pay plenty of taxes, you can't avoid it, it's how the money is spent that creates the problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    It isn't you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please disregard the lack of content in my first 5 posts

Hello theo3000,
    Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our community in our General Cycling Discussion forum.

Why not start with your first post today and become an active part of the roadbikeREVIEW.com forums now! \

To create new threads in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater.

You currently have 0 posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    West of Boston, bad this year. The worst in memory.

East of Boston, mostly wet.
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    The roads in my neighborhood in Colorado Springs are pretty bad and they repair the potholes every year. I normally ride on the Air Force Academy now which has smoother roads.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mootsie View Post
    We pay plenty of taxes, you can't avoid it, it's how the money is spent that creates the problem.
    Are you implying that we pay enough money in taxes to support out current road infrastructure? And that it is wastefulness in infrastructure spending that leads to the crumbling infrastructure?

Because I was under the impression, based on actual facts, that we don't actually pay the full costs of infrastructure requirements in Federal and State gasoline taxes.
    Pro rep, yo!

la dolce vita
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripped View Post
    Are you implying that we pay enough money in taxes to support out current road infrastructure? And that it is wastefulness in infrastructure spending that leads to the crumbling infrastructure?
    Yep, I just watched a road being repaved right next to my office that was in far better shape than most, but it was a "shovel ready" project so it got priority while other roads without the required red tape approvals sit without improvements. They even boasted about the spending with signage "here are your tax dollars at work" as they repaved it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get a bike that'll take wider tires. Once you get to 32s, you just don't notice the crap roads as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast