Is it me...what would you do? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Agreed - next time he hits the gas to 'win' the ride back to the finish, let him go. Everyone sits up and 'finishes' the ride right there. Then soft pedal the ride back to the end, joking and laughing with each other, completely ignoring the fact that he 'beat' you to the end of the ride.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    ...when you pull, only go 90%, no digs... when he goes to the front, just stay on his wheel, ... till the last 50 ft.
    Yep. And then pull a Cavendish on him!

In fact, if your recovery is working well, sprint ahead every time he shows weakness, such as on the climbs. Let him lead on the flats where drafting is easier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    So what's the problem? If he jumps, let him go.
    I did. When I got to the end he was all flustered and disoriented because he'd over done it from riding too hard. I was chill.
    Last edited by Methodical; 06-19-2019 at 02:19 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    We let him go and see him not too far down the road.....
    This of course is the perfect opportunity to call an audible and change the route.

If you're off the front... you're on your own ride.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    hmm you refer to him as "buddy". I reckon he's your friend, right?
    What's the big deal? Maybe your friend is just like that, he likes to have a little fun and weekend-warrior competition. Just let him be himself, no harms no fouls in that right?

Yeah I (and many others) know a few guys like that, they'll take a short soft pull, then a long draft, and they time their pulls such that they'd have fresh legs to go for the "finishline". They're part of the crowds man. I used to be bothered by them a bit, but now I'm mostly cool with these folks.

You DO get a good workout and a good ride with your buddy right? (aside from him jumping out that annoys you a bit). If you do, then great! Just let it be, nothing to get a fuss over. Be more worried about the cars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I did. When I got to the end he was all flustered and disoriented because he'd over done it from riding too hard. I was chill.
    So:
    1. He jumped.
    2. You let him go.
    3. You were chill.

If that's true, why is there even a discussion about it? Are you worried he's going to push himself too hard?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I'm coming late to this, but just a few comments. He tires out and you jump around him and dig deep, but you don't take off like a jack rabbit? At the stop he passes you up with fresh legs after tiring out on the climb?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Originally Posted by AlanE
    I just let them go. Good riddance.
    ^^^This.^^^

Originally Posted by Opus51569
    Yet another reason why I ride alone.

^^^And this.^^^
    I absolutely agree.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    ... I have led rides where a rider or two would go way ahead. I always instruct people that if you go ahead of the leader, you are on your own.
    If this isn't the truth nothing else is. Part of running a group ride is cooperation within the group. Organise another evening/day where you'll have a short course where individuals can flock their feathers but in a short closed course event. If you're in the middle of a mass start ride with more than 40 individuals and holding the notes for the course, the cyclist off the front does it on due diligence and risk of lossing the pack at the inapproriate turn.

So I absolutely agree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks fellas. A lot of what you suggest is some of the things I've already done - no sleeping with the wife though - haha!. I've told him that it's not cool to jack rabbit off the front at higher speeds after resting in the line as it may disrupt the pace line and not fair to the person that was pulling, but he still does it. We let him go and see him not too far down the road where he them jumps back in line. This one really sort of pissed me off because the way he did it and the fact that I waited for him when I could've just taken off earlier. It won't happen again though.

There's a group we've ridden with in the past and he's stated on many occasions that he doesn't like to ride their pace line and I know it's because they are very discipline and they practice and preach correct pace line etiquette; one being don't jack rabbit off the front after sitting in the pace line resting and to keep the line tight and be predictable.

As someone mentioned, I have already started riding by myself more often now as I'm growing weary of the too large club rides. On one club ride with over 100 cyclists, folks were riding too unpredictable and some actually sort of reckless. There were cyclist dashing to the left in a crowd without looking (almost took a cyclist out right next to me), some coming up on my right side and not saying anything. I won't stop riding with the club (just not ride as often) and I will drop off to the rear and let the crowd dissipate to get away from the scary unpredictable riders.

I'll just keep on keeping on.
    Itís not going to work until you sleep with his wife. It is obvious that Retro Grouch knows about things. Like Yoda. You donít need to understand... most of us probably arenít ready to understand yet, but you need to listen and comply. Iím fully convinced. I hope to achieve that level of enlightenment some day... Go sir. Go and sleep with his wife.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    ...Go sir. Go and sleep with his wife.
    This reminds me of the thread I can not find. The guy asked how to rid the body odor and sweat from a borrowed car.

Hollywood inspired for over a decade.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    hmm you refer to him as "buddy". I reckon he's your friend, right?
    What's the big deal? Maybe your friend is just like that, he likes to have a little fun and weekend-warrior competition. Just let him be himself, no harms no fouls in that right?

Yeah I (and many others) know a few guys like that, they'll take a short soft pull, then a long draft, and they time their pulls such that they'd have fresh legs to go for the "finishline". They're part of the crowds man. I used to be bothered by them a bit, but now I'm mostly cool with these folks.

You DO get a good workout and a good ride with your buddy right? (aside from him jumping out that annoys you a bit). If you do, then great! Just let it be, nothing to get a fuss over. Be more worried about the cars.
    x2.
    I've ridden with (and been) the rider who's either newer and doesn't have the stamina yet or, because of life getting in the way, not been able to get as many miles in as you'd like to so you pick your battles and take a couple of town-line sprints...No biggie.

You're stronger than he is, and probably getting stronger since you do more work in a ride, so let it be and ride.

I've been on out of rides where the strongest riders will go off the front for a bit for the fun of it and the ride leader "suddenly" changes the route...IMHO that's equally as juvenile.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Sleep with his wife to get back at him.
    This and take his beer with you when you leave.

What the what???

Is it me...what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by em_525 View Post
    This and take his beer with you when you leave.
    No. Absolutely not. I mean, itís one thing to sleep with a manís wife... thatís a measured, proportional response. But taking his beer??? Good god, man! Weíre not savages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 07-12-2019 at 05:00 AM.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Let him have a victory - maybe he needs it because everyone's trying to sleep with his wife and steal his beer. Pity the poor guy.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    Let him have a victory - maybe he needs it because everyone's trying to sleep with his wife and steal his beer. Pity the poor guy.
    It's a self-perpetuating cycle with no end in sight: the guys breaks away, other riders get pissed so they sleep with his wife and steal his beer, then they feel sorry for him and let him break away again on the next ride. Then the process is repeated. Someone needs to stop the madness!!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    It's a self-perpetuating cycle with no end in sight: the guys breaks away, other riders get pissed so they sleep with his wife and steal his beer, then they feel sorry for him and let him break away again on the next ride. Then the process is repeated. Someone needs to stop the madness!!
    That's a brilliant analysis SantaCruz and you concocted. I wood never have thought of such a collusion. Could be a Russian bride gone bad.

err .. Or good?

Even, GREAT!

a real member's member
    how do we know the op isn't a solo riding schizophrenic with dissociative identity disorder?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    how do we know the op isn't a solo riding schizophrenic with dissociative identity disorder?
    So... youíre saying he should drink his own beer and then go **** himself???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    That was my first thought.

Proud luddite
    If that is indeed the case then the OP should disregard our advice about sleeping with his friend's wife and stealing his beer. Hopefully he will see this before he decides to take those actions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Sort of reminds me of Maynard Hershon writing about MAMILs dropping Mark Gorski on group rides with short hills a year or two after he won gold in '84 instead of just shooting the breeze with him and maybe enjoy trying to take a lead out from him when he lets loose with circus cannon acceleration.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    If that is indeed the case then the OP should disregard our advice about sleeping with his friend's wife and stealing his beer. Hopefully he will see this before he decides to take those actions.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to azpeterb again.

For fook sake. Who around here d'ya gotta blow to get a fresh bag of reps to give out?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12