Is it me...what would you do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Is it me...what would you do?

Here's the scenario.

This past weekend a few of the fellas did a short ride for Father's Day, nothing extravagant. There's a 26 mile trail (13 miles up/back) where you can kick it up if you wish; approximately every 2 miles there are cross streets with automobile traffic. On about a 6 mile stretch there's an incline to the end. At the start of the incline I slowed up to allow my buddy to catch up so we can push each other up this 6 mile stretch (this is a stretch where I typically do intervals when riding alone). The first 2 miles I pull hard to the cross street, then on the second 2 mile stretch, my buddy pulls for about a mile, but begins to slow down, so I jump in front again and pull hard the last mile to the next cross street. Our flow was interrupted by a vehicle, I stopped, but once the vehicle passed, he takes off across the road. So, with fresh legs he takes off and never waits for me; I'm thinking we'd regroup and continue on. When we get to the end, he was saying I couldn't let you beat me. I notice he pulls this kind of stunt often. He's the type of rider that sits in the pace line and then jumps out in front like a jack rabbit with fresh legs, even near the end of a long ride when everyone's cruising to the finish. Now don't get me wrong, he will take his turn and pull, but he always wants to jump out like a jack rabbit because he has fresh legs.

I just wanted to bounce this off of the community to see if anyone has experience the same and how they handled it. I know many of you have been riding for many years and have seen and dealt with a lot of stuff.

What would you do in this type of situation? Any tips?

Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Your friend has issues. Probably can't stand being beaten at cards or board games either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I know the type. Riders who like to turn a recreational ride into a competition. How do I handle it? If someone in the group wants to go off the front, I don't feel obligated to take the bait and chase him down. If it's just me and a couple other friends, he will usually get tired of having to wait up for us and knock it off. If it's a larger group, often the group will take up the chase, leaving others in the dust. If they don't regroup, I just let them go. Good riddance.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

What the what???
    Yet another reason why I ride alone.

Otherwise, if it bothers you, watch out for it next time and run him down. It's not like a stage race. If it really doesn't bother you, let him have his little victory. Maybe he needs it to make up for being a loser in other aspects of his life.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I just let them go. Good riddance.
    ^^^This.^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Yet another reason why I ride alone.
    ^^^And this.^^^
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you have 2 riders, one is usually stronger. He probably knows u are stronger and tired of always being #2, his ego doesn't always want to be #2.
    Now if he is your friend, what would a friend do? Play along, it doesn't take long to set the record straight.
    Now if he is not a friend, and your tired of it..... when you pull, only go 90%, no digs... when he goes to the front, just stay on his wheel, ... till the last 50 ft.
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    There's nothing unusual about your 'friend'. Human nature for weaker people to prove themselves by cheating.

Don't let him sit in the paceline so much. Rotate off and force him to the front. When he jack rabbits off, let him go. Back off your pace and hang him out to dry. Let him wear himself out. The last 5-10 miles hammer it and drop his @$$.

I ride with someone notorious for this. While he isn't overtly douchy enough to brag about getting up the short hill or to the next stop sign first, it's obvious what he's doing. So we let him play his game, wear himself out. Inevitably the last 5 miles he can't keep the pace and winds up finishing solo.
    Then when he gets to the finish we get to hear the latest 'excuse' why he got dropped and couldn't hang.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Or just tell him to stop riding like a dick.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    ^^^This.^^^

^^^And this.^^^
    Yeah, I wouldn't give this "issue" any more thought than it takes to type about 20 words on a screen.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Or just tell him to stop riding like a dick.
    The only problem with that is dicks very seldom admit they are dicks even if it hits them in the face.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Darling of The Lounge
    Sleep with his wife to get back at him.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    You, sir, have won the internet. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    ^^ Oh man. A George Costanza like shut down. Nice!

For me, if the guy is worth having around as a friend, you should feel okay with bringing this behavior up with him and addressing it. If you can't tell him to his face he's acting silly, I wouldn't bother paling around with such a person.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    There ya go! Or maybe piss on his leg to establish dominance?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Don't let him sit in the paceline so much. Rotate off and force him to the front. When he jack rabbits off, let him go. Back off your pace and hang him out to dry. Let him wear himself out. The last 5-10 miles hammer it and drop his @$$.
    This.

I'll disagree (sort of) with another comment about "turning a recreational ride into a competition" - as long as the ride is supposed to be a hard training ride, there's nothing wrong with playing, e.g. attacks, sprints, etc. But no one likes the dude who won't do any work, then sprints the hills/sprint lines or goes off the front for the last mile(s).

As Tig said - make him work!

[REDACTED]
    I like it!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Retro Grouch again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Don’t know much about your relationship or his version of the story, so I will resist the temptation to talk about him specifically. What I can say is people that “race” during group rides without that being an agreed upon plan are just weird to me. What’s impressive about attacking people that don’t even know you’re competing? What are you accomplishing?

If that personality type wants to race, then either agree on a starting point and distance with your buddies and go at it fair and square or get your license, pin on a number, and find out what you are really made of. Otherwise, just enjoy the ride, nature, and each other’s company.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea but what does she look like? You might be not be getting back at him.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned forever.....or not
    Treat it like a race. When you're at the front, don't go so deep. Then, when he jumps, you'll be able to counter it, and pass him quickly enough to drop him.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Russian Troll Farmer
    So, basically he considers you to be his personal domestique​? Maybe you should ask him if he wants you to carry his water bottle as well.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks fellas. A lot of what you suggest is some of the things I've already done - no sleeping with the wife though - haha!. I've told him that it's not cool to jack rabbit off the front at higher speeds after resting in the line as it may disrupt the pace line and not fair to the person that was pulling, but he still does it. We let him go and see him not too far down the road where he them jumps back in line. This one really sort of pissed me off because the way he did it and the fact that I waited for him when I could've just taken off earlier. It won't happen again though.

There's a group we've ridden with in the past and he's stated on many occasions that he doesn't like to ride their pace line and I know it's because they are very discipline and they practice and preach correct pace line etiquette; one being don't jack rabbit off the front after sitting in the pace line resting and to keep the line tight and be predictable.

As someone mentioned, I have already started riding by myself more often now as I'm growing weary of the too large club rides. On one club ride with over 100 cyclists, folks were riding too unpredictable and some actually sort of reckless. There were cyclist dashing to the left in a crowd without looking (almost took a cyclist out right next to me), some coming up on my right side and not saying anything. I won't stop riding with the club (just not ride as often) and I will drop off to the rear and let the crowd dissipate to get away from the scary unpredictable riders.

I'll just keep on keeping on.
    Last edited by Methodical; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    if someone doesn't appreciate me working with them, I just let them go off the front and then take a different route...

life's too short to ride with jerks.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    if someone doesn't appreciate me working with them, I just let them go off the front and then take a different route...

life's too short to ride with jerks.
    I agree 100% and this will be my attitude from this day forth and just back off and chill.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    While I don't paceline, I have led rides where a rider or two would go way ahead. I always instruct people that if you go ahead of the leader, you are on your own. It's amazing how many people who do this miss the turns on my cue sheet. If you miss a turn, get lost and call me to get directions back on the route, I will not take your call.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    So what's the problem? If he jumps, let him go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast