• 04-27-2004
    Cool Roadie nom de Plume
    Measurements required for proper bike fit
    When I told a friend about my new bike purchase and the frame size I am getting he reckons it is too small.

He says that I need to be fitted out on a "fit kit".

There was not fit kit at the LSB but the measurments taken for fitting included:
    - Inside leg measurement
    - Height
    - Shin length
    - Fore arm length
    - shoulder width

I also had a run of the same bike size of the same model from the same manufacturer (although a 2003 model Vs my 2004). All felt good and I had a stand over height of 1".

We will dial in stem length, rise, seat position etc when the bike is deliverd and I am there with my shoes pedals and shorts.

So the question is - what is the minimum measurements required for a proper bike fit and is a "fit kit" the only way t ogo as my friend reckons?
  • 04-27-2004
    Akirasho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool Roadie nom de Plume
    When I told a friend about my new bike purchase and the frame size I am getting he reckons it is too small.

He says that I need to be fitted out on a "fit kit".

There was not fit kit at the LSB but the measurments taken for fitting included:
    - Inside leg measurement
    - Height
    - Shin length
    - Fore arm length
    - shoulder width

I also had a run of the same bike size of the same model from the same manufacturer (although a 2003 model Vs my 2004). All felt good and I had a stand over height of 1".

We will dial in stem length, rise, seat position etc when the bike is deliverd and I am there with my shoes pedals and shorts.

So the question is - what is the minimum measurements required for a proper bike fit and is a "fit kit" the only way t ogo as my friend reckons?

... as fit systems go... you've probably got enuff info to get you in the ballpark (in my opinion, all fit systems are intended to get you close... with the last bit of tweak being based on personal wants and needs) as to frame size. The ultimate test of any fit will be your ability to ride efficiently and without biomechanical pain (injuries not totally withstanding). Personally, I fit a wide range of frames depending on their individual geometries... from a 58 to a 61cm most often dependent on top tube length. Classic fit systems place me on a 61...

... a critical aspect of any fit is the accuracy and methodology of measurments... without more data, it's nearly impossible to tell who has a better hand on the situation... your LBS or your friend... or you (can't rule out your previous experiences on similarily sized frames).
  • 04-27-2004
    frogjasm
    I don't think there is any set of measurements that can give you your ideal frame/bike dimensions, especially since your own flexibility and strength have so much to do with what positions are comfortable. It sounds like what you've got going is pretty good. I think a fit kit or body measurements will both work to get the right frame, and from there the best way to go is to stick the bike in a trainer and experiment with different stems/saddle heights etc. while someone trained in bike fit watches your position.
  • 04-28-2004
    bimini
    Should get you close
    Here is a link to a fitting program I played with. I already had my bike dialed in from trial and error and it gave me all the same sizes. It even identified some of my very unique sizing problems I have (like needing a steep seat tube angle, and longer than normal top tube, or long stem).

http://www.bsn.com/cycling/ergobike.html

On basic seat tube sizes it gives several answers based on which frame sizing phylosophy you abide by. There are several.

If the program gives you the same answer as the LBS I would go with your LBS, if not you might want a second opinion.
  • 04-28-2004
    coonass
    Imho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool Roadie nom de Plume

If you're going to spend >$1000 on the bike, then I'd recommend that you spend the bucks (~$100) to get fitted. Tweaks can be made, but the Top Tube length is as important as the Seat Tube length, eetc.....at least after you've been fitted, you'll be more confident that you're making the right decision and not just listening to the salesperson's recommendations....the fitter will give you a print-out of the recommended dimensions of a frame that should be perfect for you with minimal 'tweaks'....Listen to your friend, he's trying to help you in making a smart decision.

My first bike was sized based on the 'two-fingers-between-the-top-tube-and-crotch' method and it was absolutely the wrong size for many years......always moving around trying to find a comfortable position, never comfortable for more than 10 minutes...
    What feels good in the store or parking lot for 5 minutes, may not be 'good' after 4 hours on the road.... :(

(I'm off the soap box now).