MELD Saddles - Two thumbs down - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Nice...1 post and his reputation is pretty much sealed. I guess people like this think they're saving the rest of use from buying whatever product they had a bad experience with.
    Well, how many of us would be silly enough to drop $350 on just a saddle? Even if I were restoring a classic with a period Ideale aluminum rail saddle, $350 would be a lot...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, how many of us would be silly enough to drop $350 on just a saddle? Even if I were restoring a classic with a period Ideale aluminum rail saddle, $350 would be a lot...
    I am going to post an old saddle in the 'classifieds' forum.
    If I find someone willing to pay $350, I will have the answer, and will let you know...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Well, how many of us would be silly enough to drop $350 on just a saddle?
    Maybe those who drop $350 on a pair of cycling shoes...?
    BTW, for those whose bums don't work well with pre-made saddles, they don't have a choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Currently, Specialized website has 5 different S-works model saddles that are listed at $300. There must be a market for these high priced saddles if Specialized is selling 5 models. This is just Specialized, pretty sure there must be others selling something similar in price range.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...dles/c/saddles

So, upon further review, $350 for a bespoken saddle isn't that bad of a deal (of course assuming the saddle doesn't crack at the first pothole).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    In the world of online hooey, there are sockpuppets, who are people who log onto any site under a pseudonym just to extol the virtues of their own company/products. This guy may be a "mockpuppet", somebody who logs on just to trash the reputation of a company/product, either because of some personal vendetta, or because they are trying to reduce the business of a competitor.

It kinda reminds me of those Yelp reviews that start with the preface "if I could give zero stars, I would". You know it's gonna be a "hit job".
    Nope. Truly just a very disappointed customer. No vendetta, no trolling, no hit job. Just someone who believed in the advertising, spent the money, and got taken. Nothing more, nothing less.

Completely get ďthe couthĒ comment and like others would never post a negative review if there was ANY customer support here - but this was a very expensive saddle - and a very poor experience.

Part of my post is venting (admittedly) and part is seeing others have had the same experience and being super annoyed by it.

Huge advocate of small business and get all the associated growing pains but MELD is downright fraudulent. No apology, no meaningful resolution - nothing. Itís painful.

I would give anyone and everyone the benefit of the doubt but these guys are not fair.

As others have suggested - search MELD saddle review - and reach your own opinion.

It just sucks to get ripped off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Avidcycle View Post
    Nope. Truly just a very disappointed customer. No vendetta, no trolling, no hit job. Just someone who believed in the advertising, spent the money, and got taken. Nothing more, nothing less.

Completely get ďthe couthĒ comment and like others would never post a negative review if there was ANY customer support here - but this was a very expensive saddle - and a very poor experience.

Part of my post is venting (admittedly) and part is seeing others have had the same experience and being super annoyed by it.

Huge advocate of small business and get all the associated growing pains but MELD is downright fraudulent. No apology, no meaningful resolution - nothing. Itís painful.

I would give anyone and everyone the benefit of the doubt but these guys are not fair.

As others have suggested - search MELD saddle review - and reach your own opinion.

It just sucks to get ripped off.
    I read your orginal thread over at over at Weightweenie. My immediate impression of the Meld owner was that he was not all that apologetic. His attitude was along line: "yeah we made a mistake, BUT...". There's always an underlying "but" in his tone. And it was damn comical that Meld sent pics to that one fanboy to post on the forum, while Meld sat back and observe the fanboy go at you. Oh yeah, no doubt Meld was following that entire thread before they finally spoke up. Meld is a good example of how not to do customer service!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Currently, Specialized website has 5 different S-works model saddles that are listed at $300. There must be a market for these high priced saddles if Specialized is selling 5 models. This is just Specialized, pretty sure there must be others selling something similar in price range.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...dles/c/saddles

So, upon further review, $350 for a bespoken saddle isn't that bad of a deal (of course assuming the saddle doesn't crack at the first pothole).
    One can get a Turbo for $55 at Amazon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    100 views. But no buyer yet.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cla...50-365548.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Well, I have two Melds, one for each cheek. Just kidding, one each for my two road bikes. Several thousand miles on both. Iíve cracked, warped and variously broken San Marcos, Selle Italias, and Spesh saddles over the years. Not all of course, Iím not that brutish. My wheels last decades, my saddles not so much.... anyway, my two Melds are very comfortable. They still are going strong, not warped or cracked. I feel they were well worth the price given the aforementioned high price of some non-custom saddles. I found their customer service very quick, responsive and helpful.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    Umm....I was referring to a N.O.S. Ideale, not some off-brand with lot's of wear and dried leather.........
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    I ordered Meld Saddle last summer as a good friend told me best saddle he ever had. I have been riding and racing since 1980. At age 68 I still race cyclocross and gravel and road I am retired teacher of exercise physiology.

Saddle came I got the one with a bit more padding and Alps frame. Carbon rails and $400 cost. After about a week or two and three or four rides the top came unglued on front and back. They were fast in telling me to send back to them. They did pay for shipping back. I also mentioned I thought I needed a bit more padding as I have very low bodyfat etc. They told me I was sitting on their saddle in wrong place. I did change position and did notice the saddle does flex nicely over small bumps I am 5' 8" and 140 pounds with very thin skin 2.5 mm over bones in saddle area. They told me my stem may be wrong and old bike fit was wrong etc. I have had maybe over 20 or more saddles over the years. Told them Terry Mens, Fizik,WTB all worked well for me now but hope the Meld would be even better. I even asked them to please put in just slightly more padding again. Told me I should not expect a hammock to ride on. I even told them that Please put in padding and I would never again ask for any more changes. They did not reply to my last three emails recently. I asked how I could get refund as I was not a happy customer They only said I need to read how to mount and use their saddle. I have never in all my years of buying bike parts and I have bought lots.had a company that you could not talk to on the phone. Or a company that was so condescending in dealing with me. I presently own three road bikes. two cyclocross bikes and a mountain bike and tandem. I use goniometer in checking my bike fit. In fact at bike fitting four years ago, they did not make any changes to what I have been using for several years with no injuries of any kind. I have placed second at USA National Mountain Bike Chanpionships at Snowshoe, I have placed 7th at Cyclocross Nationals at Ashville, I ride over 6000 miles a year, so am not a novice, I use good shorts Santini,

I even emailed them on Facebook site with no response. I am sure the saddle works great for many. And I think I could use it with a bit more padding but would just like a refund if they are not willing to help me. Worst customer service I have ever encountered. I now cannot get onto my account on Meld Saddle Solutions.
    Last edited by kim butler; 04-14-2020 at 06:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Are they open for business during this lockdown?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    They had been in Facebook page this month

banned
    Mar 2019
    You bought the wrong saddle ...you need to order the DeluxeSuperDupperPadding

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Looking at their website, they do not do 'special orders', or customize saddles outside of the parameters of their system. They make this quite clear.

Based on what I've read there, I would want nothing to do with them. You tell them some things about you, your riding, etc, and provide them a sketchy mold of your sit bones, and they provide you with a the "saddle of your dreams". if it doesn't work, YOU are doing something wrong.

There is no way I would subscribe to paying $400 for a bike saddle under these conditions.

Sure, it might work for someone, but if it doesn't work for you, that's a lot of money you could have spent on other models trying to find what works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Yes You are quite correct. Lesson learned in this case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    On their website: "We do not modify our saddles based on how they are installed by riders."

Quote Originally Posted by kim butler View Post
    After about a week or two and three or four rides the top came unglued on front and back. They were fast in telling me to send back to them. They did pay for shipping back. I also mentioned I thought I needed a bit more padding as I have very low bodyfat etc.
    So you asked them to modify your saddle padding while fixing the defect of the top layer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Are they open for business during this lockdown?
    I hope not - everyday they are open just gives them one more chance to peddle their crappy product and steal your money.

If you post a review they donít like on Facebook - they will block you and remove the review (note none of this makes it to their page).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Hello Avidcycle. I am on facebook under my name if you want to discuss in emails. I am now blocked on Meld. I never cussed or was mean in any of my emails to them My good friend who has two Meld saddles now has had similar problems with company. I ordered my saddle after seeing his I touched it lightly. I also read Leonard Zinn review before I bought my saddle. My friend who loves his saddles recently had one crack while riding on the road. No potholes no crash. He sent back saddle. They accused me of tampering with his saddle and refused to honor warranty. I only touched in once over 13 months ago on trail.. He loves the saddles but is unhappy that it cracked already.They now have seemed to also lock him out of site. I again in all my years have never seen a company that has no address and no phone number and will not take care of customer. I still have my saddle. Other than cover coming loose on both ends that they repaired, I have had no issue with saddle other than asking for more padding. Friend sent back saddle for evaluation. Now they will not respond to him and did not even offer him crash replacement at a reduced cost. Again, I know saddles with work well for some and would have worked well for me. I do not know how a company like Meld will stay in business.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    Please file a complaint with Better Business Bureau as well. Weíre gathering all of these issues across multiple forums and providing to a local lawyer. There are a lot of cases out there - some bad product, others catastrophic failure. Most cases they deliver a substandard product and then stop responding.

We also photographing the failures and sending to the various magazines that have provided reviews. More to come.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Well I sincerely hope you donít end up shutting down this company. I now have three of their saddles on two road bikes and a gravel bike and they are the best saddles I have ever used IMO. Just so you k ow the negative impact youíll have in others if you proceed with tour efforts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by otoman View Post
    Well I sincerely hope you donít end up shutting down this company. I now have three of their saddles on two road bikes and a gravel bike and they are the best saddles I have ever used IMO. Just so you k ow the negative impact youíll have in others if you proceed with tour efforts.
    Yep, totally fair. I was a huge fan as well. Most people love the saddles. Then the shell or rails break and MELD will put the fault on you and block you from all communications. Same story all over the place.

Rumors now materials are weaker and cheaper than before.

Good luck. I hope your saddles hold up and perform as expected. I loved mine until the shell cracked at 25 mph in a group ride and almost ended in disaster. When I tried to work out with Meld once they saw saddle - they made up some crazy pothole story and wouldnít even return the saddle or allow anyone to see it. And they kept my money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    Yes, The company has had negative impact on customers who were treated poorly with no respect who now dont have a saddle or their money. Yes, many love the saddles. My friend loved his two saddles until one cracked and had the same story line with fault being all his. He just wanted another saddle made for him. They have now even insinuated that I have access to his saddles and went in his house and broke one of them. Makes no sense. He is friend who I have not ridden with in 13 months. I would have bought a second saddle if I could have had a tiny bit more padding. Lucky, I did not have saddle break, so I still have it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kim butler View Post
    I would have bought a second saddle if I could have had a tiny bit more padding.
    Since I didn't see your answer, I'll ask again, you asked them to modify your saddle padding while fixing the defect of the top layer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2020
    I said in first email sent when saddle top became unglued on front and back that I need more padding. That was even before saddle was sent back to them. I still have saddle. It had not cracked in any way. I can ride it for short rides with new Shorts but longer rides is still hard on my sitbones. I would have ordered second saddle with just slightly more padding. In continuing to ask about his I was banned from Meld. I have been quite diplomatic in my emails to them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast