MELD Saddles - Two thumbs down
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018

One days these folks at Meld will learn that a saddle is a saddle. Stand behind your product and treat your customers with respect. Yet another complaint. Not a surprise given how quickly they ripped me off.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...p?f=3&t=152781

Nice BBB review as well.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-jose/p...480/complaints

Russian Troll Farmer
    To be candid, anybody who spends $350 on a saddle is a sucker.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

banned
    Nov 2009
    Why do Jackwads sign up on a message board just to talk crap about a Company in their first post?

Have some Couth.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Why do Jackwads sign up on a message board just to talk crap about a Company in their first post?

Have some Couth.
    Absolutely. The guy with BDA in the other thread may have actually benefitted from those saddles.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Nice...1 post and his reputation is pretty much sealed. I guess people like this think they're saving the rest of use from buying whatever product they had a bad experience with.
    #promechaniclife

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Nice...1 post and his reputation is pretty much sealed. I guess people like this think they're saving the rest of use from buying whatever product they had a bad experience with.
    Keep in mind, the guy earlier owned a Brooks saddle with a hole cut in the middle and his junk got caught which put his panties in a veritable twist. So he really isn't coming from an objective place with his scathing review and maybe understandably overly sensitive.

xxl
    Meld's response, assuming it's legit, was to apologize:

"Hi everyone,

We need to begin by sincerely apologizing to Smithjeb for insinuating that he could not afford the replacement fee, that he repeatedly breaks saddles, and that he uses our saddle on a MTB. We reviewed our communication from last night, and to our horror, realized that what we said can be interpreted in a different way. There is no excuse for our mistake, Smithjeb is right about this, and again we sincerely apologize. We discuss the specifics below.

The timeline
    ============

Smithjeb's saddle was shipped to him on 2017-10-13. On 2018-7-7, he notified us of the issue, and we asked for a few photos of the damage, which was provided. We noticed additional scuffing on the saddle, and that prompted us to request for the saddle to be shipped back for an autopsy. This was on the same day, 2018-7-7. The saddle was shipped by Smithjeb on 2018-7-14, and we received it on 2018-7-24.

Our autopsy was completed on 2018-7-25, yesterday. We emailed Smithjeb of the result yesterday at 3:47pm. Between that time and 11:39pm yesterday, a total of 19 emails were exchanged.

The exchange
    ============

During the exchange, we attempted to explain the reasoning behind the deep discount we provide for the first impact-damaged replacement. We realize now that what said can be interpreted as being insulting, and we sincerely apologize for that.

In conclusion
    =============

We want to end by again sincerely apologizing to Smithjeb for our insinuations. Even though we did not make those statements with malicious intent, we understand they can be interpreted differently and we accept responsibility. However, we still cannot deviate from our policies, which all our users and us agree on. Doing so will not only adversely impact all current users, but also future ones. We hope Smithjeb can see this from our point of view.

Thanks for reading,
    Meld"
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are 1.8 million covid cases in the United States (as of June1), four months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

banned
    Sep 2015
    only thing to add, is the autopsy revealed that not only did the saddle receive rough treatment i.e. some level of assault but toxicology reports now back reveal it had been poisoned as well. This is of course was only determined after exhuming the saddle buried after proper memorial. Next of kin has been notified.

For some reason this wasn't disclosed but I do believe all said relevant to the investigation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avidcycle View Post
    One days these folks at Meld will learn that a saddle is a saddle. Stand behind your product and treat your customers with respect. Yet another complaint. Not a surprise given how quickly they ripped me off.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...p?f=3&t=152781

Nice BBB review as well.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-jose/p...480/complaints
    Your $350 would have been INFINITELY better spent getting a fix. Now you're riding on a jacked up fit that is causing you all sorts of pain and slinging crap at products which probably are at the very least, decent.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    After reading the entire thread over at Weightweenie, I'd stay away from Meld. Regardless of who's right or wrong here, Meld's handling of the situation through some fan... is unprofessional to say the least. And no, there is no evidence to say that Meld's "autopsy" (a strange word to use) is rigorous either. Didn't see any mention of any methodology analysis. As far as I can tell, Meld's main argument is: "None of our other customers crack their seat from riding impact, thus your crack is your fault". Yeah, that's pretty much their methodology. $350 saddle eh, lol

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    After reading the entire thread over at Weightweenie, I'd stay away from Meld. Regardless of who's right or wrong here, Meld's handling of the situation through some fan... is unprofessional to say the least. And no, there is no evidence to say that Meld's "autopsy" (a strange word to use) is rigorous either. Didn't see any mention of any methodology analysis. As far as I can tell, Meld's main argument is: "None of our other customers crack their seat from riding impact, thus your crack is your fault". Yeah, that's pretty much their methodology. $350 saddle eh, lol
    Where did Meld find a forensic saddleist?

There are 1.8 million covid cases in the United States (as of June1), four months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Where did Meld find a forensic saddleist?
    when I read the word "autopsy", I was thinking: is Meld a fan of CSI Miami, or some crime investigative TV series.

There's no way I'd spend $350 on a saddle unless I have severe asymmetric sit bones requiring a totally one-off custom. And the only stories I have heard of saddles breaking from riding impact are stories from those el-cheapo ebay chinese carbon saddles, and yes these do crack and assplode when you hit a pothole sometimes, and even here, the cracks are not anywhere as bad as the OP's saddle (as seen in the pics in the thread over at Weightweenies)

RoadBikeReview Member

Have some Couth.
    My first post to a watch forum was to inquire about experiences with a certain company, because I was receiving really poor customer support at the time.

However, I searched the history and only found positive posts about this company. This made me wonder if I was unique. Which made me post about my situation.

Come to find out, there were tons of people with the same bad customer service I was experiencing. Not only that, but it got the attention of the owner and I finally started getting some reasonable, albeit insufficient, customer support.

The difference from this post is that I didn't include any negative comments in my post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    There's no way I'd spend $350 on a saddle
    Have you ever gotten something that's custom tailored / fit? If you have, you would know that they cost more than store bought item. It's called economies of scale.

unless I have severe asymmetric sit bones requiring a totally one-off custom.
    Since you don't, consider yourself fortunate.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jspharmd View Post
    My first post to a watch forum was to inquire about experiences with a certain company, because I was receiving really poor customer support at the time.

However, I searched the history and only found positive posts about this company. This made me wonder if I was unique. Which made me post about my situation.

Come to find out, there were tons of people with the same bad customer service I was experiencing. Not only that, but it got the attention of the owner and I finally started getting some reasonable, albeit insufficient, customer support.

The difference from this post is that I didn't include any negative comments in my post.
    You had some Couth.

xxl
    when I read the word "autopsy", I was thinking: is Meld a fan of CSI Miami, or some crime investigative TV series.

There's no way I'd spend $350 on a saddle unless I have severe asymmetric sit bones requiring a totally one-off custom. And the only stories I have heard of saddles breaking from riding impact are stories from those el-cheapo ebay chinese carbon saddles, and yes these do crack and assplode when you hit a pothole sometimes, and even here, the cracks are not anywhere as bad as the OP's saddle (as seen in the pics in the thread over at Weightweenies)
    To be fair, I once was JRA, and my saddle broke. I hadn't hit a thing.

The saddle was an American Classic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I just remembered this thread about broken saddle rail on this forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    To be fair, I once was JRA, and my saddle broke. I hadn't hit a thing.

The saddle was an American Classic.
    Junk. Broke at a seat rail joint? I saw a couple of light weight saddles that split right in the middle! American classic went out of business. Shoulda stuck with the tried and true, like Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Brooks.

Also, the idea of press fitting the butt on the saddle and then modifying the saddle to fit is a natural part of "breaking in" any saddle. The good ones "wear in" to the butt and the bad ones distort in the wrong ways, IME. They get flexy and then break under the prodigious weight of a 150+# rider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Shoulda stuck with the tried and true, like Selle Italia, Selle San Marco, Brooks.
    What if someone started a thread about broken saddle rail of Selle Italia?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I just remembered this thread about broken saddle rail on this forum.
    Selle Italia, huh? But it was 15 years old and broke at the saddle clamp obviously from 15 years of bouncing up and down. All of my Turbo S's have given up when the leather wears out on each side and starts leaving scuff marks on the lycra shorts. CRMO rails, if that's what these are, are usually the strongest link in the system.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 08-15-2018 at 01:54 PM.

banned
    Jun 2008

I agree with you mostly except I had Fiziks Arione carbon shell (carbon railed) crack after about 6 months. They refunded my money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    I agree with you mostly except I had Fiziks Arione carbon shell (carbon railed) crack after about 6 months. They refunded my money.
    I never really get the carbon seat thing. They are harsh, and their carbon rails can crack if you clamp them too tight and you hit a pothole, boom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Have you ever gotten something that's custom tailored / fit? If you have, you would know that they cost more than store bought item. It's called economies of scale.

Since you don't, consider yourself fortunate.
    Cycling has got to be the most “fit demanding” sport out there. Need everything to fit to maximize performance. Frame, stem, handlebars, saddles, shoes, bibs, helmets,etc. Sometimes I wish I could run again. Put on a nicely worn pair of shoes and go at it.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Cycling has got to be the most “fit demanding” sport out there. Need everything to fit to maximize performance. Frame, stem, handlebars, saddles, shoes, bibs, helmets,etc. Sometimes I wish I could run again. Put on a nicely worn pair of shoes and go at it.

yep no flat tires to impede you.

Russian Troll Farmer

Have some Couth.
    In the world of online hooey, there are sockpuppets, who are people who log onto any site under a pseudonym just to extol the virtues of their own company/products. This guy may be a "mockpuppet", somebody who logs on just to trash the reputation of a company/product, either because of some personal vendetta, or because they are trying to reduce the business of a competitor.

It kinda reminds me of those Yelp reviews that start with the preface "if I could give zero stars, I would". You know it's gonna be a "hit job".
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast