RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

Method for Cleaning Inside of Helmet?

Hello,
    Any suggestions for cleaning inside of helmet (and padding therein as well as straps) after long hot rides?
    Thank you.

Darling of The Lounge
    Are the sweat pads in your helmet removable?

I normally will spray diluted Simple Green inside my helmet and give it a good rinse with the garden hose and let it air dry outside the rest of the day.

Road Warrior
    Take it to the shower!!!

.je
    Lizard Person
    The shower, sink, with any soap you use to wash the sweat from your skin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hose it down and hang to dry. Mild soap if it needs it.

Pull the pads and wash and dry those separately if you want to get technical.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Take it to the shower!!!
    This is exactly what I do. I merely rinse it for 5-10 seconds, tops, then hang it to dry.
    My experience has been if I rinse it soon after a ride, there's need for using soaps.
    But if you insist, use shampoo. I have at times and it works well.

P.S. Don't forget to take your helmet off, first!

P.S.S. Don't even THINK of putting it in the washing machine. Don't ask me how I know...

a real member's member
    "dahmer used soilex and bleach."

"helmet, stupid! not skulls! jesus!"

"nevermind."
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    I always wash my helmet after a hot sweaty ride. I rince it in the sink, maybe a bit of soap just to give it a nice fresh scent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just let the sweat age like a fine wine and the aromas of aged sweat, foam, pads and glue blend like a savory stew.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I fill my bathroom sink with warm water and a little soap, Then I dip it in and run my fingers across the pads a few times and I make sure the straps get soaked, sometimes after a hot ride they have visible salt on them. Then I rinse it thoroughly and pat it dry with an old t-shirt from the laundry basket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Pull the helmet pads off. Insert pads into cycling sock. Put sock in washing machine. Replace helmet pads. Done.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I stick it in a 5 gal bucket once it gets ripe with a tiny amount of soap and @ a 1/4 cup of baking soda which is great for stipping the funk out of any plastic, lycra included. Swish it around and work the pads with my fingers. Sometimes I'll let it soak first with something holding it down, like a brick. Rinse well, dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Just let the sweat age like a fine wine and the aromas of aged sweat, foam, pads and glue blend like a savory stew.

Agreed. I like the buildup of salt crystals in the straps.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Agreed. I like the buildup of salt crystals in the straps.
    Agreed. And if my electrolytes get too low, I can take my helmet off and lick the straps. Tastes better than Gatorade.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Are the sweat pads in your helmet removable?

I normally will spray diluted Simple Green inside my helmet and give it a good rinse with the garden hose and let it air dry outside the rest of the day.
    Caution flag, careful with Simple Green...

For personal protection when using Simple Green, use protective glasses if splashing is likely, use in well ventilated areas when cleaning small spaces, and use protective gloves when using for prolonged periods of time.
    According to Green Med Info, the chemical's effects include:
    "Inhalation: ... Symptoms may include sore throat, coughing, headache, nausea and shortness of breath ... Skin Contact: May cause irritation with redness and pain. May be absorbed through the skin with possible systemic effects. Eye Contact: Vapors are irritating and may produce immediate pain, redness and tearing. Splashes can cause severe pain, stinging, swelling. Chronic Exposure: ... [C]an cause damage to the liver, kidneys, lymphoid system, blood and blood-forming organs."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Caution flag, careful with Simple Green...

For personal protection when using Simple Green, use protective glasses if splashing is likely, use in well ventilated areas when cleaning small spaces, and use protective gloves when using for prolonged periods of time.
    According to Green Med Info, the chemical's effects include:
    "Inhalation: ... Symptoms may include sore throat, coughing, headache, nausea and shortness of breath ... Skin Contact: May cause irritation with redness and pain. May be absorbed through the skin with possible systemic effects. Eye Contact: Vapors are irritating and may produce immediate pain, redness and tearing. Splashes can cause severe pain, stinging, swelling. Chronic Exposure: ... [C]an cause damage to the liver, kidneys, lymphoid system, blood and blood-forming organs."
    I am always perplexed how many people buy Simple Green because they think the word "green" in it means it's envionmentally friendly. Simple Green is harsh toxic stuff.

Proud luddite
    I am always perplexed how many people buy Simple Green because they think the word "green" in it means it's envionmentally friendly. Simple Green is harsh toxic stuff.
    I choose to ignore this because I love the smell of Simple Green! Some people call it "huffing" but I prefer to say I am "savoring the scent".

RoadBikeReview Member
    OxyClean (the powder, not the spray) is good for both the pads and straps. Just make sure to follow up with scrubbing the straps or rinsing the pads with H2O. Rinsing the pads before soaking is good to get surface schmutz off.
    Pop a wheelie!

Icicle Bay a.k.a. Beetlebaum - Black Cat Disc Roadie
    Tang (CX) - 198? Curtlo Cyclocross (she's heavy, but she's mine)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    You could sell spent plutonium by adding the word "green" or "natural" to the product name

RoadBikeReview Member
    Upper tray of dish washer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So true. Never goes anywhere near my bike or auto.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Indeed, very toxic.

Just use a little mild soap and warm water, let the helmet simply air dry.