Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The mechanics I know that work for men's teams change chains out well before 2000mi. I don't even lets the girls chains get that many miles. I never see worn out cassettes on race bikes. Pretty much doesn't happen.
    I don't track mileage (any more) and have multiple rear wheels so it's hard to say about mileage but I ride a ton (around 60k total now), replace chains when worn and have NEVER had reason to trash a cassette. I have worn out a few chainrings in that time.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by OV_Dragonman View Post
    What difference does the sex of the rider have to do with it? ALL riders deserve well maintained bikes, especially if they race!
    You're kidding, right? Men make more power, they wear things like chains out quicker than women do.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Huge in Japan
    Let's keep things simple and stick to chain discussion only!
    If there's one thing I've learned from RBR forums it's that chains are mysterious creatures, the nuances of which will never be fully understood by us mere mortals. There is nothing simple about them or their delicate needs.

In case you're new here I'll just go ahead and warn you not to peruse a thread about disc brakes within a half hour of browsing one about chains. You might cramp up and never understand a thing about bikes ever again.
    Last edited by craiger_ny; 1 Week Ago at 09:29 AM.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're kidding, right? Men make more power, they wear things like chains out quicker than women do.
    Generally speaking, yes. Though I know a woman who weighs 200+lbs and can keep up with me on the bike just fine. I'm pretty sure she goes through chains in less miles than I do.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    No I'm not kidding.

I do not want to get sidetracked, but that comment struck me as sexist and I could not let it pass because of that. ALL riders deserve well maintained bikes, especially if they are racing. Would you tell someone with, let's say, red hair, they do not need to worry about chain wear on their bike because they have red hair?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    No I'm not kidding.

I do not want to get sidetracked, but that comment struck me as sexist and I could not let it pass because of that. ALL riders deserve well maintained bikes, especially if they are racing. Would you tell someone with, let's say, red hair, they do not need to worry about chain wear on their bike because they have red hair?
    Holy christ...there was NOTHING sexist about my comment. It's been my (very extensive) experience that women racers (cuz that's what we were talking about) are lighter and make less power than male racers. If you can't understand that I don't know what to say. I'd advise getting off your uber pc highhorse and try to understand the context the comments were made in.

No **** all riders deserve well maintained bikes, I've spent the last 11 years working my ass off for a women's pro team. Think about that before you get all snowflake on me.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Would you tell someone with, let's say, red hair, they do not need to worry about chain wear on their bike because they have red hair?
    No, but I would tell someone with red hair than they don't need red hair dye while I would tell someone with a different color hair who wants red hair that they may need red hair dye.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    got 12,515 miles from my last KMC chain.

wear checked using a ruler.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    got 12,515 miles from my last KMC chain.

wear checked using a ruler.
    Was the new chain nice and quiet on those 12,515 mile cogs, chain rings, and jockey wheel pulleys? If so, kudos on your pristine maintenance, nice weather, and smoooth pedaling style.

a real member's member
    I do not want to get sidetracked, but that comment struck me as sexist and I could not let it pass because of that.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12