MIPS helmets and ventilation
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

MIPS helmets and ventilation

I picked up a Giro Savant MIPS helmet at the beginning of the season. Initially I was happy with it, but once the weather started getting hotter I noticed that there was much less ventilation than my old Bell Sweep. So, I went back to the Sweep for hot days. The Savant has plenty of vents but the MIPS liner restricts airflow. Is this something that all MIPS helmets have in common or is the Savant just a sub-par design?

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I picked up a Giro Savant MIPS helmet at the beginning of the season. Initially I was happy with it, but once the weather started getting hotter I noticed that there was much less ventilation than my old Bell Sweep. So, I went back to the Sweep for hot days. The Savant has plenty of vents but the MIPS liner restricts airflow. Is this something that all MIPS helmets have in common or is the Savant just a sub-par design?
    One more data point: I just bought a new helmet with MIPS, and have not noticed the problem you describe. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure the MIPS "layer" has cutouts at the vents.

I was unnecessarily concerned about the new helmet being too hot because the new helmet is black. This hasn't been an issue, and it's been in the nineties here lately.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    One more data point: I just bought a new helmet with MIPS, and have not noticed the problem you describe. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure the MIPS "layer" has cutouts at the vents.

I was unnecessarily concerned about the new helmet being too hot because the new helmet is black. This hasn't been an issue, and it's been in the nineties here lately.
    I can’t say, but the trade off between negotiating sweat in my eyes vs the added heat of headsweats is a difficult trade off. My Bontrager helmet is nicely vented and it is obviously short circuited by the headsweat layer. BTW, the color won’t be an issue because of the foam design in bicycle helmets. It insulates. It eliminates the color/heat concern. Modern technical fabrics do the same to jerseys and the like.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Based on my experience with both Bell and Giro MIPS equipped helmets, I can't see how the plastic liner would effect ventilation. I have not noticed this. My only complaint with the Giro is how they attach the plastic liner. It catches the hair, and when I remove the helmet, it pulls on what little hair I have left. No issues with the Bell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post

My MIPS helmets has cutouts for the vents but the size of the cutouts are much smaller than the helmet vents thus restricting airflow. It possible this is more of a bad implementation by Giro than an inherent flaw of MIPS

[REDACTED]
    I have a newer Giro MIPS helmet and haven't noticed any difference in hot weather.

I wear a white skull cap underneath anyway or I would have mega sweat mixed with sunscreen running down into my eyes - OUCH! Don't know if the color of the skull cap makes much difference in head reflection, but I'll take any little cooling advantage I can get.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    My MIPS helmets has cutouts for the vents but the size of the cutouts are much smaller than the helmet vents thus restricting airflow.
    Your observation would appear to have nothing to do with MIPs then. Some are just designed for more air flow than others mips or not.

I can tell by googling pictures yours that it wouldn't be good for ventilation even if I didn't know it had mips, just like it's fairly obvious for some that don't have it.