Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Mirror for a road bike

14K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Samadhi 
#1 ·
I find I'm riding on city streets more and more and I'm finding there are times when a mirror would be a Good Thing.

There are lots out there, but I don't want to buy every single one trying to find one that works.

I've tried those clip-on-your-glasses mirrors and don't like them.

Those mirrors that plug into the bar end seem ok, but ......

Opinions? Recommendations? Advice?

#4 ·
What did you not like about the glasses mirror? I use a helmet mounted Pro Third Eye mirror and just love it. Works great on a road bike provided you do not run a ton of bar to saddle drop. I run about 2 and a half inches and can see over my shoulder ok.

With the mirror on the glasses or helmet you can swivel your head around and really see just about everything behind.

Later, Axlenut

#5 ·
COuple things -

The product I got (forget the name) didn't fit my glasses (Wiley SG-1) well.

When I did get them on I found I spent a lot of time trying to actually "see" something in the mirror. This was taking too much attention from watching the road ahead of me.

So, I quite using them. Going into this thread I figured that any of the clip-ons or helmet mounts would be about the same.

However It does seem that I lot of people like them - especially the Take A Look product.

I'll look into the pro third eye, too.

thanx

#7 ·
As you can tell mirrors are a personal choice between the types used. I bought my first mirror, a Take A Look one a year or so ago, I like it, I have no need to try a different mirror. Some people don't like the one's that fasten to the glasses, so you buy one that you like. I don't use the mirror much, only on busy streets, but I'm not bothered by taking my attention off the road, you shouldn't be staring in one spot all the time anyways, I use it like a car mirror, glance at it about every 5 to 10 seconds or so on busy streets and less frequently on lightly traveled roads only when I hear a car coming.

#8 ·
I use a Sprintech on my road bike and love it. It's got a great field of view and at a glance you can see what you need to see, perfect for me.
I've been hit from behind and wouldn't ride without one anymore as I like to keep an eye on what's going on back there.

I've used clip on mirrors for your glasses and they're ok but not my favorite. I've also tried other brand bar end mirrors and really prefer Sprintech's unit. I'd only get a left, no need for a right or pair.

#10 ·
I am also looking for a mirror now that i have a road bike. Always ride w a bar end one on my hybrid (flat bars). I dont think the bar end would be in an optimal place for me on my new ride.
Has anyone tried the Mirrycle Road for STI levers, 2nd generation? I've just come across it and it looks promising to me. I need to see how it attaches. Would be a big plus if its easy on/off. As of right now I havent even installed bottle cages (i use a camlebak most of the time) Cause my Cervelo is so damn sexy I dont want alter her image. lol

#11 ·
As of right now I havent even installed bottle cages (i use a camlebak most of the time) Cause my Cervelo is so damn sexy I dont want alter her image. lol
Not sure if I should comment on the stealth brag or the fact that you are choosing a Camelbak over bottle cages for image reasons?

Just kidding, do/wear what you want, and congrats on the new Cervelo. Though I do recommend getting some of THESE or THESE and getting that weight off your back.

#12 ·
Y'know, I almost hate to say this but after reviewing everyone's kind responses, I decide to go home nad take another look at my eyeglass-mounted mirror.

As it turns out, it's a 3rd Eye product.

So, I stuck it back on my glasses, futzed with it and went for a ride. It took a little more fituzing to get the right angle on the bike, but finally it worked pretty good. Not perfect, but not bad, either. I have to move my head slightly to get a view straight behind me, but I can get a clear, steady, rear view now. I can detect a car coming at me by 1/4 mile. It's not crystal clear, but I can tell it's a car and that's enough. If the car has it's lights on, I can see it even farther.

I have to use left turn lanes regularly and crossing from the right shoulder to the turn lane has been a little scary, especialy if there's more than one traffic lane. That mirror makes it a lot less scary. I'm not sure I'll stick with this mirror as it does mess with the fit on my glasses, but I'm in no hurry and I've got plenty of info from you guys for future reference.

#14 ·
I run a Cycle Aware Reflex Helmet Mirror and it works well. The base sticks on all the time and you can unsnap the mirror if you want. I have bar end shifters on my road bike, and flat bars on my touring and mtn. bikes, so wanted a mirror that works on all of them. I adjust it so it is in view through my glasses so the focus is the same as looking forward and I set the view to just catch my shoulder and neck on the bottom and right edge of the mirror. I need to adjust the angle between my bikes, since the road bike position is farther forward, I need to tilt the mirror up a little. I find it easier to glance to the side to catch the rear view than it is to look down at my GPS on the handlebars.

#15 ·
Alright, alright. I can appreciate a good ribbing as long as its good hearted. As I stated i'm new to Road bikes. Ive always ridden Mt and Hybrids, so Im learning as I go along. I'm happy to say that without even asking, the shop that i bought my bike from handed me a bag with the spoke protector and reflectors in it. lol i said thanks I forgot to tell you i didnt want those on the bike. The salesman said "I couldnt in good concience put those on this bike".
Anyway am i to take it that a camleback is a faux pas as well? Its so much more convient than bottles, plus I can store a tube and tools in it thus avoiding a seat bag. Ive been using it for any ride over 25 miles. Btw i did plan on getting some nice carbon cages soon anyway - thanks for the link! I do not have a wedge bag, or MTB pedals (i use Ultegra clips). I do want the mirror though. One bridge in particular that i ride over, which has a bike lane, I have cars wizzing by me at 70 mph and they do come over the lines sometimes. I'd like a chance to dive over the cement divider on my right if i can see a vehicle is gonna hit me.

#16 ·
Anyway am i to take it that a camleback is a faux pas as well?
If you hope to become a Velominati the yeah, it's a faux pas. Otherwise, knock yourself out.

I, personally don't care for a camelback. They cause me to sweat a lot and end up iritating my skin, causing a rash and all sorts of other unpleasantness.

Its so much more convient than bottles, plus I can store a tube and tools in it thus avoiding a seat bag.
I use a seat bag myself, but everything you need can be fit in jersey pockets, too. Keeps you cool and comfy that way.

You can also get tool caddies that fit a bottle cage.

Your mileage may differ.:D

I do want the mirror though. One bridge in particular that i ride over, which has a bike lane, I have cars wizzing by me at 70 mph and they do come over the lines sometimes. I'd like a chance to dive over the cement divider on my right if i can see a vehicle is gonna hit me.
Same here. I'm not much of a slave to appearances. I'm a lot more interested in safety than I am looking like Marco Pantani. I think mirrors serve a real and valuable service whether your riding roads, streets or bike paths. I'm not flexible enough to turn around far enough to shoot a glance behind me, so .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.