Modern road bikes are over-engineered crap designed ONLY to make corporations money! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yes, really, as for rating this troll, I'd give it 2 stars out of 5. Next time, try to be a bit more original, a bit more condescending, and a bit more unhinged and irrational.
    meh, you're far too generous with your rating...

this was, at best, only jr high-school level of effort. way too ranty...the 'call EVERYONE' line reeks of juvenile silliness.

couldn't award any troll stars, but did give it a Red Chiclet...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Yep by the under engineered bikes at a big box store. You way more for your money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Every bike I've ever bought was better than all the ones that preceded it. Otherwise, what would be the point? And sure, also generally more expensive than the ones that preceded it. But the same can be said of cars and many other things.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Darling of The Lounge
    The OP must not play golf and looked into the price of a set of Homma BERES 07 irons.

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/be...IaAs65EALw_wcB

RoadBikeReview Member
    I appreciate the design and technology that goes into a fine carbon road bike frame.
    Today a good many carbon frames , ride superb . Sorry if the Pearl Harborites disagree. They may cost you an arm and a leg... but after a serious battle like Guadalcanal, The Tet offensive, were we got are ass kicked real good .... steel sucks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    To the OP.
    Waves on a Beach.......Waves on a Beach......aaaaaaaaaand calm

I'm sure you'll feel much better now

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    The OP must not play golf and looked into the price of a set of Homma BERES 07 irons.

Of course I would pay $26,999 for what is, essentially, a fancy bunch of sticks. But the $.99??? That's a bridge too far!
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

But that's just the irons. You need a driver, 3 & 5 wood too. Ohh... and don't forget the putter!

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/be...-clubs-drivers
    https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/be...-fairwaymetals
    https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/80...&start=1&sz=12

$26,999.99 + $4,599.99 + $4,499.99 + $4,499.99 + $2,399.99

Plus your Garmin! $499
    https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/ap...logy-gps-units
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    But that's just the irons. You need a driver, 3 & 5 wood too. Ohh... and don't forget the putter!

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/be...-clubs-drivers
    https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/be...-fairwaymetals
    https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/80...&start=1&sz=12

$26,999.99 + $4,599.99 + $4,499.99 + $4,499.99 + $2,399.99

Plus your Garmin! $499
    https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/ap...logy-gps-units
    Holy craptoads, thatís nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Holy craptoads, thatís nuts!
    On top of that, Pebble Beach green fees for a standard round are a whopping $550 per person and will increase to $575 on April 1, 2020.

In addition to that initial price, it costs $45 per person to use a cart. If you choose to go the caddie route and walk, which is recommended, the caddie fee will run you another $95 per bag. (That figure does not include a caddie tip. Here are some guidelines for how much to tip your bagman.) All in all, with a caddie you will end up close to $800 for your outing.

According to a Golf Channel survey, the median cost for an 18-hole round at a public golf course is $36 including cart. (That sounds low, at least on a weekend. I was paying that 20-30 years ago)

One of the reasons I gave up golf years ago was because it was so damn expensive. My local public course is $50 on the weekend.

Thankfully it's still free to ride my bike on the roads.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    One of the reasons I gave up golf years ago was because it was so damn expensive. My local public course is $50 on the weekend. Thankfully it's still free to ride my bike on the roads.
    and in addition to the expense, golf was a huge time-suck. driving to a course, hitting some practice balls, playing 18 holes, and returning home was taking ~5 hrs, even longer on wkends.

the last time I ever played, I was at a tee box desperately trying to salvage a bogey round when three roadies went zipping by...decided right then that I'd much rather be pedaling than swinging a club.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%JR View Post
    To the OP.
    Waves on a Beach.......Waves on a Beach......aaaaaaaaaand calm

I'm sure you'll feel much better now
    Hahahahaha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Think about it PEOPLE! They have formed a monopoly! There is NO reason bikes should cost as much as they do! The group and wheel sets are affordable, BUT what in the world is going on with the cost of carbon/TI FRAMES? Is everyone insane? Why would you pay thousands of dollars for carbon/TI frame!?!?! They can make a reliable/safe good riding frame for just a few hundred bucks, BUT YET somehow the big companies squash the ability of the consumer to buy a decent frame for an affordable price.

If you want to be a high performance racer, then great buy the sports model, but the over whelming majorty of us, by the millions just want a reliable/safe nice riding carbon frame with ultegra components ($650)and a 1500gram or less wheelset ($350). DO THE MATH, it shouldn't cost more than $1500, BUT NO bike companies have determined that we need over-engineered (or just hyped?) pieces of carbon cracking crap.... there is a dirty little secret in the bike industry that they are manipulating the prices so they can charge $3000 or more for a lousy frame.

EVERYONE call EVERYONE you know, and also call your congressman and tell them that there is a conspiracy to inflate the cost of bikes. It is a RIPOFF of gigantic proportions.

BEFORE you bike industry people post a snarky response, go look in the mirror, and tell yourself there is a better way to earn a living than rip people off! GET A LIFE!
    Buy directly from their sources in China and build your own bike. Talk to Durianrider on Youtube. He can get you some good prices on frames.
    Last edited by Methodical; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:41 AM.

Neophyte
    OP, I have a solution for you! With your $1500 budget for an Ultegra-equipped bike, you can go to this online bike store called bikesdirect.com. You can go to the road bike section and there is even an "Ultegra" button you can press that brings you to the part of the bike list that shows bikes equipped with that groupset. And lots are below $1500. You're welcome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    Here we go again with the opinion by some individual that has little or no facts or figures to back anything of what is spewed. 1st Modern Bike - Please define, 2nd over-engineered again give examples and why is it over engineered, (can you even define over engineered?) and please stay away from in my day.. and lastly designed only to make corporations money. That is the only thing you got correct. Now please tell me what does any company make or offer that is not designed to make money? Here is the reality of the situation... There are plenty of places called Wal-Mart, Target, e-bay, and other places that sell bikes and I am sure you can find a wonderfully engineered, money losing product to your liking for a fraction of the price. If you think the the price is still to high, what's stopping you mr wiz banger, since you know all that there is, on why they are over engineered, over priced solely to make money, then go out, get funding or use the money stuffed in your mattress and build your wonderfully engineered bike that we all can buy and is made so that you earn nothing. Meanwhile, while my bike, and what ever I paid I can live with it, I have no idea why the cost, but then again I don't care. If I want it and can afford it so be it, if not, then I drop down to something I can do, if nothing there, save your money till you can. stop your gosh darn complaining, suck it up and do something constructive instead of complaining. and yes nothing upsets me more than its a bicycle argument, great observation, so what. How is this any different than any other product.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMoss View Post
    Here we go again...
    sorry, but the OP isn't a serious premise. it's just silly troll bait and you took it hook, line, and sinker...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    I hate it when that happens.... thanks for bringing back to reality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    sorry, but the OP isn't a serious premise. it's just silly troll bait and you took it hook, line, and sinker...

Perhaps hook, line, sinker, but I did at least appreciate the use of paragraphs making it easy to understand the most excellent counterpoint.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKilo7 View Post
    Modern road bikes are over-engineered...........

Stop buying these ridiculous priced bikes that are over-engineered........
    Would you rather that bikes be under-engineered and collapsed under you sending you to the hospital or the morgue?
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    There are two big reasons bikes cost so much:
    1. The economy of scale sucks. If there was enough demand to mass produce bikes in comparable volumes to cars, they would be dirt cheap.
    2. The R&D costs have to be recouped, and going in tandem with point #1 they aren't spread very thinly.

Over-engineered? Possibly, but have you considered the drivers behind this? The UCI mandates all bikes entered into professional races must be available on the open market, so that places one constraint. The UCI also has stringent definitions of what constitutes a bicycle and what technologies are allowed. If it were race legal to place wind-cheating fairings on the fronts of bicycles, manufacturers would do that instead of trying to eek out every aerodynamic advantage with their frames and wheels. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and more consumer friendly.

In short, if you want cheaper bikes, start your own company making models that aren't race legal or make the UCI change its ways. I won't hold my breath for either.

Banned Sock Puppet
    couldn't award any troll stars, but did give it a Red Chiclet...
    So YOU'RE the meanie.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    So YOU'RE the meanie.
    meh, have little tolerance for time-wasting troll bait.

someone rec'd him back to green, guess they enjoy reading gibberish.

Banned Sock Puppet
    meh, have little tolerance for time-wasting troll bait.

someone rec'd him back to green, guess they enjoy reading gibberish.
    Wasn't me, I promise!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I thought the OPís trolling was a bit too obvious, but Iíve seen worse.

I would have scored it around a C-, but he got some bites, so maybe I could go with a C+.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    If you don't think the big companies are massively marking up their products then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast