Monster truck drivers
    RoadBikeReview Member

Monster truck drivers

Are these lifted behemoth monster trucks so big that they don't fit on the road without pushing a cyclist off the road or is it the type of person that drives these trucks that thinks the road is all there's? It seems every time I go for a ride, one of these guys blows by me within a foot of taking me off the bike. What's with the mentality of a person who won't move over 3 feet to allow another person some space and be safe?

RoadBikeReview Member
    H2 drivers are worse...

But yea,
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I rarely have trouble with trucks - but I've never met a Prius driver who understood the concept of a stop sign or turn signals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Okay, the HumVees are without doubt the ugliest success story of US marketing and advertising.

But as a 'furriner' - what is the purpose of taking a builder's transport vehicle, which by its very nature handles pretty badly to start with, and spending a fortune to jack it up to where you need a ladder to get in the cab?

An answer to that could well satisfy the OP to some extent.

If you treat any vehicle on the road as something that's driven by someone with minimal driving skill, who was tested for their licence by a joke of a test carried out in a parking lot and is likely to be more interested in their cell phone than in driving their overweight, bad handling vehicle, you won't be far wrong...

Regards

Dereck
    Who once spent longer getting a basic English driving license than it takes for a non-English speaker to get a Chicago cab drivers' license...

still shedding season
    Chances are they have no idea how wide the thing actually is. Drive behind one, and you'll see that they aren't very good at coloring inside of the lines. Last week I about got clipped by a guy in a Focus...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    This is purely an attitude thing. I drive a jacked up truck, but as a cyclist I'm careful around people on bikes. That being said, the majority of people who drive jacked up trucks, do so to further their tough guy attitude. I've had all sorts of drivers come close to hitting me, but only someone in a monster truck has ever thrown a full beer at me!

If you are ever in doubt about an approaching vehicle, listen for the roar of a diesel engine and then get ready!

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by vontress
    What's with the mentality of a person who won't move over 3 feet to allow another person some space and be safe?
    I love how most of these guys raise the truck body, but don't do anything to raise the axles. What's the point? They gain no clearance and their vehicle is now far more unstable. And it looks silly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I was expecting a Bigfoot vs. Grave Digger debate.

I am no Guide
    I find that Pre-Occupied Hockey Moms Driving a SUV or Mini Van Full of kids, and is running late, is way worse then any Pick Up truck Driver as far as driving is concerned.

Guys in Pick ups can be total A$$ hats though.

And yes I drive a Pick Up Truck, and ride a bike.
    It's not the bike, it's the Engine

Third Coast Colnago
    Il love it when they rev their engine as they drive by. I take comfort in know he has a small brain and an even smaller unit.

Third Coast Colnago
    Quote Originally Posted by anthrax
    I find that Pre-Occupied Hockey Moms Driving a SUV or Mini Van Full of kids, and is running late, is way worse then any Pick Up truck Driver as far as driving is concerned.

Guys in Pick ups can be total A$$ hats though.

And yes I drive a Pick Up Truck, and ride a bike.
    This X 1000. and high school kids texting while driving, which is now illegal in Michigan and other states.

Still On Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    And it looks silly.
    It looks better when your vision is enhanced by a twelve-pack.
    Allez Rouge

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since they raise thier trucks the air gets thin and they get less oxygen to thier brain. Can't be avoided

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    ah, the good ol brodozer.

4" body lift
    4" suspension lift
    36" mudders
    FMF/F* stickers (but don't actually ride dirt bikes)
    diesel v8 with all emissions equipment taken off
    never been taken off road

just another flavor of poser, i suppose. their insecurity means that they have to exhibit why the 45,000 truck daddy bought them makes em big and tough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've said a lot of the same things about various classes of vehicles and drivers, but I honestly think for most of us these things are a matter of political and social preconceptions driving selective perception. If I hate big pickups (or little hybrids, or SUV's, or old-lady drivers, or teenage drivers, or whatever), I'll always notice when one of them does something objectionable.

So all the data are suspect.

Except I'm SURE high-school girls driving with their friends are the most dangerous people on the road ;-)

At least in Connecticut suburbs.

It seems every time I go for a ride, one of these guys blows by me within a foot of taking me off the bike
    BTW, this very rarely happens to me, with any sort of vehicle, because I try to ride in a way that minimizes that temptation for drivers. If the shoulder isn't wide enough for a car centered in the lane to pass with adequate clearance, I usually take the center of the lane, forcing overtaking cars to wait until there's room to move into the other lane before they pass. I use a mirror, so I know what's coming up behind, and if someone still tries to buzz me close, my center-lane position allows me to move back to the right and create clearance just as they pass.
    Last edited by JCavilia; 04-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Stick a sport cam on your bike, record your rides, pull out clips of people not obeying the laws, send to appropriate city/county prosecutor. It's extremely easy revenue for them, revenue is their main priority with traffic fines, they will send out tickets. Word will spread.

Hanging 10 bra
    I agree Infinite Loop, my LEO's here in town have told me to get a tag number, time, date and location. Then if they receive more than 2 different reports, the vehicle owner gets a 125$ ticket in the mail.
    As far as the larger trucks, for some reason, they feel the need to gas it hardcore right as they pass me. Not really sure why they do this, it could be that they are trying to impress you or something........esp since they see my pony tail out of my helmet and probably think I am a chick or something until they pass me and see my goatie hahaha.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The teenager girl texting may very well be the cyclists biggest enemy. I now avoid riding by high schools or colleges.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vontress
    The teenager girl texting may very well be the cyclists biggest enemy. I now avoid riding by high schools or colleges.
    Wonder if her parents were overprotective, wouldn't let her see Pearl Izumi ads, and now she's just one more ignorant American teen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dereck
    Okay, the HumVees are without doubt the ugliest success story of US marketing and advertising.

But as a 'furriner' - what is the purpose of taking a builder's transport vehicle, which by its very nature handles pretty badly to start with, and spending a fortune to jack it up to where you need a ladder to get in the cab?

An answer to that could well satisfy the OP to some extent.

If you treat any vehicle on the road as something that's driven by someone with minimal driving skill, who was tested for their licence by a joke of a test carried out in a parking lot and is likely to be more interested in their cell phone than in driving their overweight, bad handling vehicle, you won't be far wrong...

Regards

Dereck
    Who once spent longer getting a basic English driving license than it takes for a non-English speaker to get a Chicago cab drivers' license...
    Isn't the reason for lifting the truck obvious? The larger the tires you can fit on the truck, the more clearance the truck has between the axle and anything it needs to go over. This also raises the frame of the truck so that it can clear higher snow. Last winter we got 4 feet here in two days. Don't know if even I could have gotten through that with my F350 that is not lifted.

To the OP, I was out today riding and got buzzed by two pickups and a jeep. Yep, they are morons. One guy had a Ducks Unlimited sticker on his rear window. Ironically, I have Ducks Unlimited tags and stickers on my pickup and car. Wish I could have caught up to him, but I will remember the truck. There aren't too many of them like that around here.

Also, how about we don't categorize all pickup drivers into the moron category, just like I won't categorize all cyclists into the moron category based upon the minority of cyclists I see running red lights, going to the front at red lights just to block all the cars that already passed him/her/them safely, riding smack dab in the middle of the road when the white line or shoulder is just fine, etc.

Another reason I think we pay a lot more attention to the pickup drivers that buzz us is because the Toyota Prius, Toyota Corolla, Ford Fiesta, etc. that just buzzed us isn't quite as scary. When you hear that tractor trailer or monster truck with the knobby tires coming up behind you, your rear puckers up well before the vehicle gets there. Might be a little bias on our part too.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteLoop
    Stick a sport cam on your bike, record your rides, pull out clips of people not obeying the laws, send to appropriate city/county prosecutor. It's extremely easy revenue for them, revenue is their main priority with traffic fines, they will send out tickets. Word will spread.
    You do realize that the person charging the crime needs to be in Court to testify about it, and since the officer didn't see the crime personally, they cannot just mail out tickets. This isn't like a red light camera or speed camera.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202