More pros riding "cutout" saddles?
    ari
    RoadBikeReview Member

More pros riding "cutout" saddles?

While watching the Tour this year, I noticed that more pros seem to be on cutout saddles -- something that's popular with recreational riders, but never used to be seen much in the pro ranks. I've even heard many people say that since most pro riders stuck to traditional saddles, e.g. Rolls, Regal, Concor, Turbomatic, Flite, that was proof that gel/cutouts/etc. are just a gimmick. (Case in point: Cipo's "Body Geometry" saddle that was really a rebadged Rolls.) This year, though, Floyd and Dave Zabriskie were both riding Selle Italia Flite Gel Flows, and I believe Cadel Evans was riding a cutout saddle as well -- and I'm sure I saw several others.

Any thoughts? Are pros coming around to the benefits of the new "ergonomic" saddles? I'm usually not that interested in the gear pros choose to ride, since most of them use whatever they're paid to use -- but saddle choice (at least within a given brand) tends to be an exception, since it's so personal.

Floyd:

Dave Z:

Cheers,
    Ari
    My saddle weighs more than your honors student.

What up, dog?
    I noticed a few, but not enough to say it's a widely accepted thing YET. With that said, I'm heading backwards in time this year -- dumped my Fizik Pave TT and Arione for San Marco Regals this year. I just couldn't get comfortable on the Fiziks, so I put my old Concor back on one bike - what a relief!! I looked for something like the Concor that was just a little bit wider. The Regal is near perfect so far!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

More interesting to me is the saddle angle in the picture.

It's pointed a little to the right. I've done this for years to keep my parts comfortable.

Riders ride on saddles that feel good to them and what feels good to some skinny-ass pro rider may have next to nothing to do with what feels good for fat-ass me.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I was just thinking about this yesterday, and I didn't see any cutout saddles in the peloton (but it's hard to tell when they're sitting on them). Lots of saddles that looked like Concors, actually.

Late edit: I was thinking about this a little more, and I think as more and more new riders from the cutout saddle era start moving up the ranks, we'll see more of these saddles. Riders generally like to stay with whatever saddle works for them, and most of today's top guys chose their style long before cutouts became all the rage.

I've gone "backwards" too. I just swapped a Koobi Silver (very LONG cutout) out in favor of a Regal, and I really like it. There's been a bit of a break in period for my backside, but no worse than any other saddle--I was still able to get in over 100 miles last week without too much discomfort, and it got better every ride.

The Koobi was really great when I started, but as my butt got leaner it started to rub me the wrong way. What I really wanted was something that felt like the saddles I was used to back when I was a really skinny messenger, and the Regal was IT for me back then, though I could barely afford to buy them at the time. So I tried it, and I really like it so far. Only time will tell for sure, though.
    Last edited by bikeboy389; 07-24-2006 at 06:26 AM.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

What the Hell is going on

Regals rule

I like Regal saddles and ride them exclusivley. In a pinch I like the Rolls too (just a tad narrower).

Even someone from the Disco team had their Regal recovered with a Bonetrader logo. (Sorry, I can't seem to find the picture).
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP
    I like Regal saddles and ride them exclusivley. In a pinch I like the Rolls too (just a tad narrower).

Even someone from the Disco team had their Regal recovered with a Bonetrader logo. (Sorry, I can't seem to find the picture).
    I think Lance rode a re-badged Concor the whole time at Postal and Disco--maybe that's who you're thinking of? I'm sure lots of guys ride rebadged saddles. The sponsors want their bit, but the saddle is just too critical for the riders to compromise on.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Are Concors still available? I've done a couple of searches for them, but with no luck.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Man, I'm Awesome
    I think these are starting to get a following.

https://www.vrag.ru/images/news_pic/dildo_bike.jpg

What up, dog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Are Concors still available? I've done a couple of searches for them, but with no luck.
    Yes - use this: http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/

Type in "Concor" or "Concor Light". They're all over the web. Otherwise, go through Excel in Boulder.

SlowpokeFromBelgium
    Jul 2006
    I'd really like to get my hands (not to mention my butt) on one of these

But gawd they're expensive...

Maybe I can persuade Santa to bring me one...

Peter R.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcg
    I think these are starting to get a following.

https://www.vrag.ru/images/news_pic/dildo_bike.jpg

Arrogant roadie.....
    Hey, for those who haven't heard yet- "The Pros" use whatever a manufacturer pays them to use.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

ari
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    Hey, for those who haven't heard yet- "The Pros" use whatever a manufacturer pays them to use.
    I think for the most part, the pros ride whatever *brand* saddle the manufacturer pays them to use. However, I doubt Selle Italia has a say over whether Floyd rides, say, a Flite vs. a Flite Genuine Gel vs. a Flite Gel Flow vs. an SLR, etc.

Cheers,
    Ari
    My saddle weighs more than your honors student.

What up, dog?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    Um, no. Lance was getting paid to use Bontrager, but was riding a San Marco Concors with Bontrager stickers on them. Re-think that one. Pros will ride whatever they want, and the manufacturer that pays them to ride "their product" will do what is necessary to make it seem as if their endorser is doing that. Even when everyone knows they aren't.

Remember when Lance had a Litespeed given the Trek paintjob? Same deal...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker
    Um, no. Lance was getting paid to use Bontrager, but was riding a San Marco Concors with Bontrager stickers on them. Re-think that one. Pros will ride whatever they want, and the manufacturer that pays them to ride "their product" will do what is necessary to make it seem as if their endorser is doing that. Even when everyone knows they aren't.

Remember when Lance had a Litespeed given the Trek paintjob? Same deal...
    Yes. And a couple of current high profile riders ,as well: Boonen is in all the selle italia ads, when in fact he uses a white san marco regal. And selle italia runs an ad saying"Ivan Basso uses the gel-flow cut out saddle", when he actually uses the old flite.

What up, dog?
    McEwen was featured in ads for the Selle San Marco Rever K last year, and he doesn't use that saddle. It's all in what you like I guess.