mounting a Garmin Varia with a seatpack
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

mounting a Garmin Varia with a seatpack

I picked up a Garmin Varia. I didn't give much thought to how I would mount it but it seems they assume you attach it to the seatpost. I am a seat-pack kind of guy, so I am wondering if there are any mounts out there that attach to the seat-stays or some other place that allows me to use my pack

Neophyte
    Is there no room at all on the seatpost under your seatpack? If there is, Varia will still work fine with a seat pack above it (has for me, anyway).

There appear to be some 3rd party options that might work but a bit pricey.... you may have to jury-rig something yourself after buying something like the K-Edge Gravity Cap as the basis for your rigging...

Pictures might help if you can post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2019
    I had the same problem. I took a regular Garmin mount and zip tied it to the light clip loop on my seat pack. Been there for over 5,000 miles and holding up fine.

Being on the seat pack makes it more visible then mounting underneath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Either your bikes are too big or your seat packs are. Should be room on your seat post to mount the light.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Not sure how the Varia mounts but most of my older bikes I mount my Fly 6 camera on the seat tube and it peeks out between the seat stays. My two more modern bikes with wishbone stays there is room on the seat post underneath the saddle pack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mine is just under the seat pack and at the bottom of the seat post and that makes the radar view just over the top of the tire. The older version of the Varia was horizontal and fits easier on a short seat post, and works just as well except it's not as bright.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Is there no room at all on the seatpost under your seatpack? If there is, Varia will still work fine with a seat pack above it (has for me, anyway).

There appear to be some 3rd party options that might work but a bit pricey.... you may have to jury-rig something yourself after buying something like the K-Edge Gravity Cap as the basis for your rigging...

Pictures might help if you can post.
    jetdog, there is not much room there. A couple of photos from the rear of the bike

varia_B1.jpgvaria_B2.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    It needs ~2" above collar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Backdash; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:52 PM.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    jetdog, there is not much room there. A couple of photos from the rear of the bike

varia_B1.jpgvaria_B2.jpg
    It might surprise you and fit... but also if the bag doesn't hang out farther than the seat, there are mounts that attach to the seat rails, I believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It might surprise you and fit... but also if the bag doesn't hang out farther than the seat, there are mounts that attach to the seat rails, I believe.
    I will try it and see what happens. Some of the other option get pretty pricy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I will try it and see what happens. Some of the other option get pretty pricy
    Here is a photo of how I solved with the regular Garmin mount, zip ties at each corner to the light tab on bag. Yes there is room on post under bag but this keeps light up at more visible level to drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Off topic sorry, I've been staring at your saddle for probably 2 minutes straight. A little help please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdash View Post
    Off topic sorry, I've been staring at your saddle for probably 2 minutes straight. A little help please.
    Its a Cobb Randee - the original version which had denser padding than the later version. My go to saddle for long rides. Bottle cage attachment bolts to the underside of the saddle. That's my gravel bike in the picture, 2020 Niner RLT9 RDO
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I fiddled a bit with it today. There is no way the seat-post will work. Instead I used the mount insert intended for Aero seat-posts and attached it to the top of the seatstay. I did a short test ride on a busy road and it seems to work fine. This will work on my Ti bike that has fatter seatstays but I dont think I will be able to do this on my skinny seat-stay steel bikes. I ordered one of the seat rail mounts on ebay and will try that as well

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I use the SpeedSleeve saddle pack and have plenty room to install the Varia on the seatpost. The Speedsleeves are smaller, sits higher under the seat (doesn't require connection to seatpost) and as a result leaves plenty room to install the Varia where it's supposed to sit on the seatpost; although small the saddle pack holds a lot of gear. If you have a large saddle pack and it requires connection to the seatpost, you will have problems installing the Varia on the seatpost.
    Last edited by Methodical; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:25 PM.

Neophyte
    Good to hear you have some solutions... most people with the Varia radar have found it a very worthy purchase. I've been very happy with mine. Nothing replaces eyes and ears but it's helpful.