Move indoors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move indoors?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Move indoors?

We are facing several days of soul-crushing heat and humidity in the east. I am debating putting the bike back on the trainer in the basement until it breaks. Yea, I can slog through an outdoor ride but my pace and effort will be pedestrian and I probably won't get much training benefit. If I go inside, I likely will train much harder but it proves that I have gone soft. What to do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    htfu

Get out there and sweat hard, and decide to enjoy it. Nothing is "soul-crushing" unless you choose to take it that way.

IMHO, of course. ;-)
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

wots...uh the deal?
    I'm not seeing a thermometer of 'soul crushing', hm.

Heat index over 110* F and I will shorten rides, double up the water etc. Or, cross train.

There is a benefit from riding when it is "hot", you build up a tolerance to riding in heat. Just like riding in the "cold" you build up a tolerance. But, not everyone is interested in expanding their thermal tolerances. (The older I get, the less interested I am)

It is fun to plan rides where there are set water stops where you douse yourself or jump in a river to cool down. (yes, I have seen mamils in full spandex jump in a river after 80 miles to cool off for that last 20) At least that is something different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    htfu

Get out there and sweat hard, and decide to enjoy it. Nothing is "soul-crushing" unless you choose to take it that way.

IMHO, of course. ;-)
    I dont have your flahute genes. A few years ago this wouldn't have even been a consideration - I would have rode outside. But these days it's harder for me to gut it out when its more like drudgery

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Nothing is "soul-crushing" unless you choose to take it that way.
    Not even riding a trainer indoors in July? I think I'll have to disagree with nothing being sole crushing.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Get out and ride at 0 Dark 30.

It isn't bad so long as you get your miles in before the sun up.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    post deleted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaveG; 07-17-2019 at 09:02 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    I'm not seeing a thermometer of 'soul crushing', hm.
    It looks like this

therm.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    would rather do just about anything than ride indoors...I have a lower temp limit, not an upper one.

have ridden when the air temp (not heat index) was 112F.

I lived...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    The other issue here in the East not addressed yet is the humidity. It is extremely humid on top of the heat making it pretty miserable to be outside. Waiting on the train has really sucked the last couple of days.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm getting ready to commute 17 miles home (mostly uphill) here in DC -- It's 95 degrees; dew point is 73 and the heat index is 107. Even worse -- its not over cast like yesterday. Even the ride in this morning was pretty hot. I recall that the worst heat index I ever rode here was 114. But it's a wet heat ;).

Nasty as it is -- I dream about days like this in January when I'm wearing a bunch of winter gear.

And I do indeed agree with Jay -- riding a trainer in the winter is soul crushing ... In July?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I live in Atlanta. I'll offer the following suggestion...

Pick two:
    - Slow down
    - Ride in the early hours of the day
    - Drink a lot of water
    - HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I live in Atlanta. I'll offer the following suggestion...

Pick two:
    - Slow down
    - Ride in the early hours of the day
    - Drink a lot of water
    - HTFU
    Its the slowing down part I want to avoid. At that point I feel feel like I am just going through the motions without gaining much benefit other than accumulating miles. I figure I do a couple of hard Zwift session instead of suffering outside on the worst days and maybe I've gained more from it. Last summer we went through a prolonged period of hot humid weather. I slogged my way through it and at the end I started to hate cycling to the point I was glad when winter came.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    The other issue here in the East not addressed yet is the humidity. It is extremely humid on top of the heat making it pretty miserable to be outside. Waiting on the train has really sucked the last couple of days.
    Here, it is summer and that means humidity. At 0530AM is was 80F with a 73 degree dewpoint--not too bad so long as you kept moving.

Normal summer weather. It is July--this is July weather here in the Great Plains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    The other issue here in the East not addressed yet is the humidity.
    Absoultly. I live in SE Virginia and it has been staggering. I'm hiding out till it back off 15-20 degrees.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Get out and ride at 0 Dark 30.

It isn't bad so long as you get your miles in before the sun up.
    ^This.

Splurge on some nice lights if you haven't lately (because bike lights just get better and cheaper), and go out on dawn patrol.

I'm lucky enough to live near a very long RTR trail, long enough that the "multi-use" aspect of it is not really an issue, especially pre-dawn.

I will also do rides on streets and roads then, and they're usually deserted then, too.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m f—d.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    ^This.

Splurge on some nice lights if you haven't lately (because bike lights just get better and cheaper), and go out on dawn patrol.

I'm lucky enough to live near a very long RTR trail, long enough that the "multi-use" aspect of it is not really an issue, especially pre-dawn.

I will also do rides on streets and roads then, and they're usually deserted then, too.
    I may have to look into that. Right now I do all my weekday riding after work so there is little cool-down. Looks like the next 4 days will be close to, or over, 100F. I decided to take one of my bikes and put in on the trainer. Then I can make a choice.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I may have to look into that. Right now I do all my weekday riding after work so there is little cool-down. Looks like the next 4 days will be close to, or over, 100F. I decided to take one of my bikes and put in on the trainer. Then I can make a choice.
    Before dawn gives you the most time before the cooker turns on. Depends on how much riding you want to get in before Daily Responsibilities set in.

Also depends on where you are WRT the time-zone lines. I'm at the western side of Central time, so proper dawn (sun up crossing over the horizon) is around 6AM local time. As opposed to Tour de Nebraska this year that was out by Scottsbluff AKA the eastern side of Mountain time--so proper dawn was around 5AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    We are facing several days of soul-crushing heat and humidity in the east. I am debating putting the bike back on the trainer in the basement until it breaks. Yea, I can slog through an outdoor ride but my pace and effort will be pedestrian and I probably won't get much training benefit. If I go inside, I likely will train much harder but it proves that I have gone soft. What to do?
    I don't see why you're debating this. If you have a goal and a plan, you do what it takes to stay on track. If that means training inside because the conditions outside don't allow you to adhere to the plan, then HTFU and train inside.

-----

[REDACTED]
    Three words: Early morning rides. Get out at the break of dawn and finish your ride by mid-morning before the heat is brutal.

If I go inside, I likely will train much harder but it proves that I have gone soft. What to do?
    Who the f*** cares what anyone thinks. Personally, I hate riding indoors on the trainer, but if it works for you, tell anybody who tells you to HTFU to go f*** themselves.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hate to throw out the old "It is what it is" but come on. It's summer. You live in the south. We enjoy mild winters and pay for it with long hot summers.

Riding between 5am and 7am is awesome - it's 20 degrees cooler, there is virtually zero traffic and you're done before the world wakes up. It's the invisible hour - the epitome of free time.

I got in 30 miles this morning - before 7am. We had 21 guys on that ride. And, I'll bet there were a few thousand more out there - clubs all around Atlanta - cyclists, runners... training in the dark.

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Metr...s%2C156&sr=8-1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I hate to throw out the old "It is what it is" but come on. It's summer. You live in the south. We enjoy mild winters and pay for it with long hot summers.

Riding between 5am and 7am is awesome - it's 20 degrees cooler, there is virtually zero traffic and you're done before the world wakes up. It's the invisible hour - the epitome of free time.

I got in 30 miles this morning - before 7am. We had 21 guys on that ride. And, I'll bet there were a few thousand more out there - clubs all around Atlanta - cyclists, runners... training in the dark.

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Metr...s%2C156&sr=8-1
    I'm not talking about packing it in for the summer, just getting through a couple of days of really oppressive weather (including an air quality alert). Once its back to normal July hot weather, I'm all good

[REDACTED]
    I'm not talking about packing it in for the summer, just getting through a couple of days of really oppressive weather (including an air quality alert). Once its back to normal July hot weather, I'm all good
    And that's another issue. When the weather is really oppressive, I generally do easier (flatter) rides. Not a real workout, but just to keep the legs moving.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And that's another issue. When the weather is really oppressive, I generally do easier (flatter) rides. Not a real workout, but just to keep the legs moving.
    Hence my original issue: I was thinking I'd be better off doing a couple of hard workouts indoors during those days then just going through the motions outdoors at a slow pace. It's not that I am a big fan of trainer rides, but knowing it is limited in scope makes it way easier to get motivated for it. It looks like temperature in my neck of the woods get back to normal on Monday

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Hence my original issue: I was thinking I'd be better off doing a couple of hard workouts indoors during those days then just going through the motions outdoors at a slow pace. It's not that I am a big fan of trainer rides, but knowing it is limited in scope makes it way easier to get motivated for it. It looks like temperature in my neck of the woods get back to normal on Monday
    This is a temporary condition. Supposed to be a lot cooler here in DC by Tuesday. I continue to commute because the alternative (train) sucks. Do what ever you feel comfortable doing. Hell, take a few days off -- it isn't the end of the world. I hate riding in the cold much more than the heat, but I've known folks who hate the heat more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast