Moving to Georgia
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Moving to Georgia

My wife and I are getting ready to make a retirement move. Does anyone have any experience with cycling in the Gainesville Ga &/or Greensboro Ga areas?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in Atlanta - so can't help on the road riding front. But, if you don't own a mountain bike - get one stat. You're going to be right down the road from some pretty sweet trails. Chicopee Woods is one of my favorite trail systems - https://www.facebook.com/chicopeewoodsMTB/ - 40 min. north of Atlanta.

Welcome to GA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    My wife and I are getting ready to make a retirement move. Does anyone have any experience with cycling in the Gainesville Ga &/or Greensboro Ga areas?
    Hope you like heat and humidity.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You will also need a few MAGA hats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Hope you like heat and humidity.
    And riding year-round ;-)

I moved here from NYC. It's no hotter or more humid than NYC... it's just hot and humid longer. And it is really nice riding through most of the winter.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Buy yourself a banjo.....
    "Hey, ya got a purdy bike there..."
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why? There so many options? If you are committed to living in a slave state the Smoky Mountains offer a ton of great alternatives and you get to live with people who have been anti-slavery since before the war between the states. Plus you get incredible cycling.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Why? There so many options? If you are committed to living in a slave state the Smoky Mountains offer a ton of great alternatives and you get to live with people who have been anti-slavery since before the war between the states. Plus you get incredible cycling.
    Are you really that much of an idiot? Do you have a clue what the demographics of Atlanta are? What state are you in - or in other words, which Native American tribes did your ancestors slaughter? You really need to get out more... and be less of a d|ck.

[REDACTED]

Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Do you have a clue what the demographics of Atlanta are?
    FYI, Georgia is not your typical deep south state anymore:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(U.S._state)

The Smokies are nice too.

Not that I would want to live there, because I don't deal with heat and humidity very well and don't want to live where the HHH season is extended. I also like cross-country skiing in winter which there is obviously none of there.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

Russian Troll Farmer
    Wow, I mean, reaching back 5 generations to dis a state? Maybe New York is off the list because slavery wasn't abolished here until 1810! I beat your 159 year grudge with a 209 year grudge!!!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    AY
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Wow, I mean, reaching back 5 generations to dis a state? Maybe New York is off the list because slavery wasn't abolished here until 1810! I beat your 159 year grudge with a 209 year grudge!!!
    Its difficult to understand hate crimes in Georgia because itís Sate Supreme Court decided hate crimes laws were unconstitutional. Nice trick. It joined Arkansas as the only 2 states. It is 5th, nationally, in recognized hate groups. It is 2nd in total lynchings behind Mississippi. Contrary to the bizarre idea that lynching is ancient history, lynchings were going strong and especially targeted black war veterans after both WWI and WWII. The last lynching occurred in 1981 in Mobile, Alabama. Millions of living people were once subject to the specter of lynching. Today Georgia is the 10th most dangerous state with Atlanta being the 7th most dangerous city.

I mean why would we dwell on something as trivial as slavery when it was abolished a few generations ago? Anyone who can say that rationally is either a complete racist or a sociopath. Same goes for anyone that can dismiss the hell and horror inflicted on black people as the result of failed reconstruction policy whose impact lasted acutely for another century but lingers on still, and not subtly.

Here is good interactive experience to see, graphically, where white people lynched black people.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...tes-180961877/

Lombard, yes it is. But you make one massive exception in introducing southern mountain folk. They are a different culture. A nip of Georgia, East Tennessee, North Carolina... Thatís a whole different discussion, but the histories are radically different.
    Last edited by PBL450; 1 Week Ago at 03:45 PM.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Are you really that much of an idiot? Do you have a clue what the demographics of Atlanta are? What state are you in - or in other words, which Native American tribes did your ancestors slaughter? You really need to get out more... and be less of a d|ck.
    So, Iím a ******** and an idiot for my post?

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...nities/560912/

What am I missing about Atlanta demographics that make me a ******** and an idiot?

edit. Forum wonít let me use djckhead as I was called.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes. Thought that part was clear.

EVERY state in the U.S. has some really bad history. Right were you're reading this, some white guy from Europe killed a Native American. Europeans didn't "discover" this country... they conquered it. Hopefully, we'll continue to move forward and be less and less racist. Singling out a state and labeling it a "slave state" is a great way to slow that progress. Is Michigan an "Indian Murdering State"? Is California a "Concentration Camp State"?

I'll bet the millions of black people in Atlanta would be damn offended by your "slave state" label. A lot of them have busted their assess to make Atlanta (and surrounding towns) great places to live.

By the way, my ancestors are from the north - almost 400 years. They fought (I have the documents) to end slavery. And I'll bet ya... their ancestors probably killed some Native Americans too. Yeah... we all have some pretty sh|tty history here.

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderators Note

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...nities/560912/

What am I missing about Atlanta demographics that make me a ******** and an idiot?

edit. Forum wonít let me use djckhead as I was called.
    Is this the Politics Only Forum? No, it is not. Knock this crap off please. If you want to rant about Georgia's history and politics, put on your flamesuit and go to PO.