Is my bike too big? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    smokersteve - you look properly fitted to the bike but these days people generally ride a bike one side smaller than ideal supposedly to get more aero. Of course they cannot hold a good position on smaller bikes but they can pretend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Does this bike make me look fat????
    C'est le tapis shag...

And how many times do I have to tell you, NO RIDING IN THE HOUSE!

IMG_3631.jpg
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:27 PM.
    rotate avatar left for correct road fit position

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tinball View Post
    Looking at it again I think the same regarding the saddle likely being too high. It looks like your legs are quite extended.

Good video on setting seat height: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNGM...km1V7E&index=2

Neill Stanbury discussing seat height. I like that he discusses the effects of too high and too low saddle height. Essentially slightly too high is worse than slightly too low. It doesn't take much too high extension to negatively impact you while you have to go much lower (relatively) to likely be significantly impacted.

Just remember before you change anything - record all your measurements as a base line and a point to return to if a change negatively affects you. Also if you make any kind of significant change go easy for at least a couple of weeks or a month to let your body adapt to the changes.
    My experience is that slightly too high may reduce your maximum power but slightly too low gives you a pain in the back of your knee. After awhile if you ride carefully that pain goes away but given my choice I would rather not worry about whether I'm going to be limping around tomorrow.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    As others have said, you're either comfy or you're not, but give it some time to get used to it. Just from an armchair analysis I think your saddle might be a smidge high. If you lower it, it'll bring your saddle a little closer to the bars if you don't slide it on the seatpost at all. That'll make it feel a little smaller. It'd be interesting to see a pic of the bike without you on it and a measurement of the saddle to bar drop.

By the way, I like to ride with my elbows on the bars sometimes. On longer flat sections I'll get down in that position quite a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP ... Your pic's look like you have long legs, long torso, and long arms.
    Not all road riders have those qualities as a foundation. You are Big.
    (TLG' kinda guy ).

If it makes any sense ( and it should )... I had to ride 1000 miles before I could nail my fit on a Giant TCR last Spring.

Now as I transition to winter, and a different bike, BMC Road Machine, I suspect my fit will need to be tweaked several times... And come Spring I'll need to do tweaks again when I go back to the TCR.
    ...or any different road bike I get.

You are stuck with the geometry of your bike, but not your physical flexibility and fitness.
    So If You pay for a bike fit ... You'll not be paying for your fitness or flexibility,
    only you can determine that .
    Happy tweaking !
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:25 PM.
    rotate avatar left for correct road fit position

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12