My favourite cycling movie yet.
    RoadBikeReview Member

My favourite cycling movie yet.

Went and saw "the triplets of belleville" on the weekend. It's an animated film that takes place in France and "Belleville" (a loosely diguised New York.) It isn't entirely about cycling but neither was braking away really. Theres a great story and cycling is the catalyst for that story. Nevertheless a great film.
    Here's the website if you want to check it out.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/triplets/
    Attached Images Attached Images

flinty-eyed moderator
    Heresy!

There is only Breaking Away! Nothing else may be placed upon the alter of cycling movie greatness. How many people have motorpaced behind an 18 wheeler because of that movie (they kick up lots of crap BTW), hummed italian arias while riding, or dreamed of frame-pumping that annoying guy on your group ride because of that movie?

And the little 500 scenes? There can be only one. . .

;)

Jun 1999

American Flyer?

I agree that Breaking Away is the undisputed best, sort of like Sir Eddy, but American Flyer is at least notable. Come on, it has Sir Eddy (in two forms - the real thing and the sprinter) in it, quasi realistic road racing, and nudity! It will never obtain cult status like the cutter movie, but still it's about all we have that's worthy of mentioning.

Doug

RoadBikeReview Member

untouchable

For years I dreamt about duct taping my feet to the pedals and coming back to destroy the competition, despite broken bones and bruises.

Breaking Away is untouchable.

Done
    Mar 2002

If You Have A DVD Player...

Quote Originally Posted by Frith
    Went and saw "the triplets of belleville" on the weekend. It's an animated film that takes place in France and "Belleville" (a loosely diguised New York.) It isn't entirely about cycling but neither was braking away really. Theres a great story and cycling is the catalyst for that story. Nevertheless a great film.
    Here's the website if you want to check it out.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/triplets/
    If you have a DVD Player, catch the Italian Job. The movie is okay (it's a giant Mini Cooper advertisement), but cycling-related bit is buried in the "Deleted Scenes". There is a scene where the Mini Coopers are blasting along on the sidewalk through the Target Center, and they come up on a group of roadies hanging out and shooting the breeze. One guy is holding his bike when a Mini nails it, leaving the guy standing there sans bike and wondering what happened. The best part is that the bike dude then flips the bird to the rest of the Minis and they roar away.

I think I know why that scene was deleted.
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

hi, I'm Larry

Agreed, Breaking Away

I was a hard core bicyclist who grew up in Southern Indiana in the early 70's. Talk about your movies that hit home. (however, I did find the pacing the truck scene a little hard to believe).

Went swimming in the quarrys in Sothern Indiana many of times. Even took the dives off the cliffs. The quarries were where the kids hung out in the summertime. Away from the prying eyes of the adults. The filming of the movie was a big deal in Bloomington back then. A great coming of age film and a pretty good film at capturing the spirit of why we do this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor
    If you have a DVD Player, catch the Italian Job.
    The original british version of that movie was great... the new one was no where near as good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    There is only one...breaking away.

RoadBikeReview Member

man give it a chance...

I bet none of you have ever even seen this movie and you're all positive that Breaking Away is better.
    Breaking away was pretty good I'll admit... but the phrase that comes to mind is "cheesey americana"

There is room for more than one cycling movie.
    Last edited by Frith; 02-09-2004 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Devoid of all flim-flam

Yes, I love Triplets, too

The theme music has revitalized my interest in Django Reinhart. As I huff and puff up those wicked hills of the Santa Monicas, I imagine myself as Champion, the film's silent, soulful hero. The movie sticks in my brain more than any other I've seen this year...and I've seen lots. Everybody! When it shows up in your town, go. Enjoy.

classiquesklassieker

Also a (Mainland) Chinese version ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor
    If you have a DVD Player, catch the Italian Job.
    There's a recent Chinese remake of this movie, titled "Beijing Bicycle".
    It was very enjoyable, with a different premise than the original Italian version.

Ironically, the Chinese cities are starting to emulate the American suburbia/
    interstate layout and some are restricting bicycles now. Anyways, this is
    for a different thread/discussion.

RoadBikeReview Member

Pretty sure you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius
    There's a recent Chinese remake of this movie, titled "Beijing Bicycle".
    Beijing bicycle is neither a remake of the Italian job (a car movie from the sixties) nor triplets of belleville (an all together different bike movie.) Good movie though.

Feb 2004
    one word: "R A D" 'nuff said
    "I don't know, trying is the first step towards failure." -Homer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    I saw Triplets this weekend-very enjoyable movie. Lots of suffering...and very surreal.

However, I don't think I'll ever look at frogs the same way again.

And I do like Breaking Away better, but Triplets is worth checking out.

Unrepentant Mountainbiker

Ive seen the trailer and

would it help for me to be under the influence of some controlled substance to watch and understand this? If so, I am out of luck for about 12.5 more yrs at least. Just looks a bit surreal.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!

classiquesklassieker

You're right...

Quote Originally Posted by Frith
    Beijing bicycle is neither a remake of the Italian job (a car movie from the sixties) nor triplets of belleville (an all together different bike movie.) Good movie though.
    You're right, it was a remake of "The Bicycle Thief". I confused the two, oops....

RoadBikeReview Member

2 Seconds!

Triplets looks good, but also be sure to check out 2 Seconds. My DVD just arrived and I'm looking forward to seeing it again...

Quit upgrading & ride!

Do You mean Belleville Rendezvous??

A great French animated film, out last year in the arthouse cinemas in the UK.

Got really good reviews in the serious papers here. BBC TV showed it over Christmas & I managed to videotape it. Don't expect a "serious" cycling film, but for an animated story with a cycling theme it's great, even my kids & wife liked it.

Feb 2004

in the US it's called "The Triplets of Belleville"

we're a little slow to get good foreign films here on this side of the pond. ;)

i just saw it last weekend and really enjoyed it. good, light entertainment.

rt
    when i rule the world, things will be different

Feb 2004

ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy M-S
    Triplets looks good, but also be sure to check out 2 Seconds. My DVD just arrived and I'm looking forward to seeing it again...
    Triplets is good, definitely go see it. But 2 Seconds is one of my all time favorites.

rt
    when i rule the world, things will be different