My first climb - I am humbled
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

My first climb - I am humbled

Decided to take an early lunch and attempt to ride up my local mountain (Piancavallo, IT). Not quite all the way up but to this restaurant/hotel. Beautiful day, 72 degrees. Hell of a climb for my legs. My lungs seem to be fine but my legs were feeling the stress despite my triple up front. 46 minutes later and only 4 miles from the base of the mountain, I reached my goal (elevation of 2600 ft.). I am humbled by how other individuals and pros especially climb this with relative ease (and with a double). My next goal is to reach the top which is 3500 ft, 10 miles from the 650 ft. base of the mountain. I guess I have my work cut out for me. Speaking of of work, I need to go back to work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Wink Climb comparisons

Been doing some comparisons on my recent ride and found out that Stage 16 of the Tdf (ITT) Alp de Huez is very similar to my local mountain. Now I just need to ride to the top the next time. Wish me luck.

May 2004

keep at it!

Keep climbing that mountain and you'll see your times improve substantially. Just make sure to allow some rest days in between climbs while you're getting in shape. Nothing toasts your legs like climbing. Good technique also makes a difference. While you're getting in shape for climbing, try to spin at a fairly high cadence. As you building climbing strength, you can start pushing bigger gears. Nothing improves climbing better than more climbing, except perhaps losing some weight -- which is my problem!

Feb 2004

A help, hopefully

The thought is to pick short range goals when climbing and think of positive or neutral things. Meaning, don't say "I'll never make it", "It's far, etc."

Just say, "I'm getting to that bend", I'm now going to the sign", "Look at that view, etc.

Sooner than later, you'll get there. At least that's the thinking.

I'm going to do Gibralter here is Santa Barbara, I've said that a bunch of times now without going, but that'll be my goal. Short ones that is.

By the way, bring arm warmers with you. I hear coming down can get cold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel
    Keep climbing that mountain and you'll see your times improve substantially... Nothing improves climbing better than more climbing, except perhaps losing some weight -- which is my problem!
    I could porbably lose 15 lbs myself. I tried varying (increasing) my cadence but couldn't go more than 70 rpm (guessing). I keep thinking it's easier if I go lower rpms but my legs just started to give. I will get to the top atlelast twice before I leave here. I have 2 more months so I have plenty of time.

By the way, bring arm warmers with you. I hear coming down can get cold.
    Luckily I was wearing long sleeves. The wind was screaming on my way down going 42mph. Pretty scary especially on the hairpin turns. Thanks for all the advise and support!