Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Out riding.

My life is wrecked: I think I might have an ingunal hernia of my groin.

I've been walking with pain on and off for a few weeks now. I was told this evening by my doctor that I should get an ultrasound done to find out whether I have spaghetti groins (or whether I have a hernia where my bowels could come out). Apparently this is supposed to happen to old men

Not sure what to think tonight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Happens to a lot of guys. Your life is not wrecked.

Neophyte
    Whether you end up with surgical procedure or not, once root cause is determined and you end up in physical therapy at some point, make sure to follow the PT's instructions and that will hopefully go a long way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
    What to think is that you should get the damn test ASAP, evaluate the results, and make a treatment decision, then do everything you can to recover as quickly as you can.

What NOT to think is that your life is wrecked because you may have a treatable condition. Get the info and be rational.

I know, that's easier for me to say when I'm not the one facing the diagnosis and pain. But I did have hernia surgery once, a loooong time ago when I was 7 or 8 years old. I don't remember it well, except that I remember a bandage that seemed like it covered half my body. I've had no recurrences or other effects in the 60 or so years since, though with close inspection I can still detect a scar about 5 inches long.

Good luck. I think you'll be fine.
    Last edited by JCavilia; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:10 AM.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    What to think is that you should get the damn test ASAP, evaluate the results, and make a treatment decision, then do everything you can to recover as quickly as you can.

What NOT to think is that your life is wrecked because you may have a treatable condition. Get the info and be rational.

I know, that's easier for me to say when I'm not the one facing the diagnosis and pain. But I did have hernia surgery once, a loooong time ago when I was 7 or 8 years old. I don't remember it well, except that I remember a bandage that seemed like it covered half my body. I've had no recurrences or other effects in the 60 or so years since, though with close inspection I can still detect a scar about 5 inches long.

Good luck. I think you'll be fine.
    had one at infancy. nice scar to show for it but that is about it.
    Seems PO has had a life blessed more than most can only dream of if this is what it "wrecked" looks like.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    some fairly overwrought hand-wringing at this stage...

even if surgery is required, recovery time is fairly brief.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Russian Troll Farmer
    Your "life is wrecked" because of a hernia?? Oh, brother.......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    that's what you get...........
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The very nature of our existence requires us to cope.

Out riding.
    Sorry my humor doesn't work well on the internet.... my life is far from wrecked.... I just had a 90mile ride planned instead I've got an appointment set up with my doctor on Tuesday to organise an ultrasound to work out if I've got a hernia or not. Its just time off my bike and my "I don't wanna!" attitude when I'm off my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    test done yet?

Out riding.
    No not yet it doesn't work like that, I mean I could go to the hospital, but I have to wait till Tuesday to see my regular doctor and get a referral to the private radiology to get the scans done. It's not super painful but it was really annoying me last night. I'll get back to you on Tuesday or Wednesday once I have the test done.

I had a house call doctor last night who suggested it might be a hernia but they don't do referrals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well you're taking notice of it and are already on the way to getting it sorted out. You know this time off the bike is perfect for planning for the next bike. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    The very nature of our existence requires us to cope.
    Confucius say.
    So true. And the aging process introduces many 'challenges' trying to keep us off the bike.

Hang in their OP. Hernias are easily misdiagnosed. Get second and third opinions before any procedures if any are needed.

There are about 1000 things that can interrupt our health keeping us off the bike.
    Many of us have had these challenges. Life is a long haul and injury avoidance if we put ourselves out there is virtually impossible IMO. Don't really know anybody that has been devoid of injury along the way. Pros and amateurs alike struggle with injury. I currently have too many things wrong with me to name but I ride anyway.

Always darkest when confronted with a new issue and the tendency is believe the sky is falling when our favorite toy...cycling...is taken away. Vast majority after coming through the darkness make their way back to ride another day.

Good luck in your recovery.
    Last edited by 11spd; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:51 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair about 12 years ago. No sweat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    I had one fixed earlier this year. I bounced back fairly quickly as I had the mesh surgery. My best advice is don’t rush back heal first. You don’t want to do it twice. And if you do need surgery some people have a vasectomy at the same time. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been walking with pain on and off for a few weeks now. I was told this evening by my doctor that I should get an ultrasound done to find out whether I have spaghetti groins (or whether I have a hernia where my bowels could come out). Apparently this is supposed to happen to old men

Had the same mesh surgery last year. It was a small hernia I'd been carrying for years, bike riding the whole time. It never pushed the intestines out, but could feel pressure once in a while and it was starting to get annoying.

Doc cut a 2 inch incision next to the belly button and went in with his tools and video camera. He used mesh on the tear and stitched the belly button in about an hour. I could still walk. The belly button hurt worse than the repair. The next day it didn't hurt at all and the groin had tightened up nicely. Where doc slid the tools in the abdominal cavity felt weird for a few days. It was the most painless surgery I've ever had. No big deal.

Had the other side repaired years ago and it never reoccured, so if the thing heals okay, it should be for keeps. Good luck!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003
    I had a bilateral done when I was about 55. Mesh surgery and the surgery itself was no big deal. However, I did have weird nerve oriented twinges for the better part of two years. They didn't keep me from riding but were irritating and concerning none the less. Dr. told me later they may have "nicked a nerve" but all is well now. Just be sure you ask for a Dr. who has done more than a few before you give the nod.

Out riding.
    Thread update

My hernia is confirmed. At the moment its just the fat in my groin but they can't push it back in. That didn't stop the radiographer to make the really dumb decision to try to push it back in... I mean why? It's not your job, and now it hurts pretty much more than ever.

My cycling life is officially ruined until I get this fixed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thread update

My hernia is confirmed. At the moment its just the fat in my groin but they can't push it back in. That didn't stop the radiographer to make the really dumb decision to try to push it back in... I mean why? It's not your job, and now it hurts pretty much more than ever.

My cycling life is officially ruined until I get this fixed.
    I was going to say timing is right since we're going into winter. Then I saw you're from Australia, so it's spring there.

OK, your cycling season may be ruined and it sucks to be off the bike. But once you get this thing fixed, you'll be good to go. Believe me, I've had surgeries that have kept me on crutches for months. Yours will be soft tissue, so not that big a deal.

Hang in there!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Out riding.
    Thanks, I'll be fine. I guess.... I'll be back to see my doctor on Friday to get the full news. They sent the digital images off to him today. Then I guess it will be a referral to see a surgeon and to see how long its going to take to get back on the bike again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    well crap a few weeks off the bike is not the end of the world. look at what happened to Nibali in the Tour this year. Broken spine! Yet he came back to attack the Vuelta.

my 76 year old dad almost died from a serious crash in August this year. ICU for 2 weeks, collapsed lung, broken pelvis, other broken bones, unable to walk 2 months. now he's back up to riding 150km a week and heading to AZ for non stop riding months in the sun
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... and it turns out I will getting heart surgery for a new valve in coming months. that will mean about 6 weeks off the bike I understand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    ... and it turns out I will getting heart surgery for a new valve in coming months. that will mean about 6 weeks off the bike I understand.
    Good luck with that, BCS! You'll make it with flying colors.

Your dad is awesome. Art is still mech-ing at the LBS and he's 78. He looks about 68. Rides all the time. Things stat to go bad by the mid 70s, but I heal quickly from cuts, bruises, fractured bones, and haven't had the flu in 10 years, all thanks to the physiology conditioned from riding, probably a great deal centering around cardiovascular fitness.

Retirees stop going to work, cut back physical activities, get high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and soon die, all from sitting on their a$$es feeling sorry for themselves. Cycling is the tonic that'll keep an old man going. Kudos to your dad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    mm thanks. Though looking into this more, looks more like 4 months off the bike, 6 weeks before I will be permitted to lift over 6 lbs, being a helpless imp. But on the other side a year after, the heart should be ready for much tougher full-on workouts than I am permitted to do now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast