RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018

my tire is too big

I bought new Gigantex carbon rims for my road bike. The tires are about 2 months old and the front one keeps slipping out of the rim. Is there someone with a lot of experience with tires that knows which tires have a tight fit? There is a thread that explains that Michelin tires are tight fitting but that thread was 6 years old. They might be different now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    what tires are you using that are popping out of the rim?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Continental Grand Prix 4000 s2 23 mm

'brifter' is a lame word.
    This forum has different sections that are set up by the owners for different types of subject matter. There is a 'wheels/tires' section for questions like yours. In the future please use the correct section.

As for your question, it's not a problem w/ the tire or them, or it shouldn't be. More likely a problem w/ how the tire is being installed.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Stamos View Post
    I bought new Gigantex carbon rims for my road bike. The tires are about 2 months old and the front one keeps slipping out of the rim. Is there someone with a lot of experience with tires that knows which tires have a tight fit? There is a thread that explains that Michelin tires are tight fitting but that thread was 6 years old. They might be different now.
    I'm assuming identical rims and the same tire in the back and the back combo is okay. Don't be afraid to actually apply some thought here.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought new Gigantex carbon rims for my road bike. The tires are about 2 months old and the front one keeps slipping out of the rim.
    What does that mean, slipping out of the rim? While you're riding? While you're installing?

Have you tried other tires?
    Have you tried swapping the front and rear tire?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    What does that mean, slipping out of the rim? While you're riding? While you're installing?

Installation goes good, then about 1 hour into the ride the front tire slips out a little, I feel a bumpy ride. The inner tube does not blow out. I lower the pressure, push the tire back in, and pump up to 80 psi, and finish the ride.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Installation goes good, then about 1 hour into the ride the front tire slips out a little, I feel a bumpy ride. The inner tube does not blow out. I lower the pressure, push the tire back in, and pump up to 80 psi, and finish the ride.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    What kind of rim strip is on the front wheel?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    My first thought would be a defective bead on your tire.

What is the INTERNAL width of your rims? Which rims are these?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I would change that tire out immediately after finishing the ride, are you crazy?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I get the feeling that this particular Gigantex rim is defective, either its diameter is a little small or its bead hook is weird. It would be helpful if you could compare the diameter of the front vs the rear Gigantex rim. Take a piece of sewing thread/string and stretch it across the diameter of both rims and see if their diameter are the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    The obvious thing to do is switch the front and rear tires. Then you'll know if it's a problem with the tire or rim.

Your next decision is completely uninformed until you try this, and any other input is useless.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Out riding.
    Either your rim is defective or your tyre is defective. One or the two, or perhaps even both. You might have noticed that the rims aren't the same width, or your tyre is defective. It should be one of the two and you should be able to work it out. If the tyre is defective take it back and get a new one. If the rim is defective either get it replaced or buy a new one.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post
    Either your rim is defective or your tyre is defective. One or the two, or perhaps even both. You might have noticed that the rims aren't the same width, or your tyre is defective. It should be one of the two and you should be able to work it out. If the tyre is defective take it back and get a new one. If the rim is defective either get it replaced or buy a new one.
    You forgot to log in as Lombard.

Such lame advice that is utterly useless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    You forgot to log in as Lombard.

Such lame advice that is utterly useless.
    And do you have any good advice to add? As usual, no. You're just trolling with insults and cornball jokes that nobody thinks are funny.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein