Mystery Bikes of the TdF

May 2004

Question Mystery Bikes of the TdF

The flat stages have forced me to squeeze every last bit of interest out of the "this is the break-away group" shots that seem to go on for eternity. Naturally, my gaze is going to fall on the bikes every so often, which has thankfully sparked a mystery; a mystery, to be sure, that is only a mystery because I haven't spent too much effort trying to resolve it, but a mystery nonetheless. So, with that senseless build-up out of the way:

What do the fine RBR readers know about Decathlon and BH bikes? I've seen almost every kind of exotic bike there is here in NYC's Central Park, but neither of those.

Cipo's long lost cousin

Decathlon

Decathlon is a sporting goods chain in Europe (think Sports Authority or Sportsmart). This is their house brand bike. Not sure who "really" makes the frames for the TdF teams though...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

Aug 2002
    I think the word around the campfire is that BHs are rebranded Giant carbons. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that BH is a large bike manufacturer like Schwinn was, only in Spain. Of course, everything is arguable, like the Wilier - Scott fiasco.

toomanybikes
    BH is a Spanish Manufacturer that has been involved off and on in major pro sponsorship for over 40 years.

They get their Pro bikes made for them by framebuilders. I had not heard that they were using Giants this year but they typically go to a custom builder to build their team bikes.

Decathlon do make theirs as they have started selling their "Pro " Bikes in their stores recently.

Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    Decathlon do make theirs as they have started selling their "Pro " Bikes in their stores recently.
    I think I read somewhere (on this forum?) that the TDF Decathlons were actually made by Cyfac. Could be wrong, though.

Jul 2003
    Several of the AG2R guys are on Cyfac frames, notably Nicolas Portal who just won a stage in the Dauphine prior to the Tour. He's riding a Nerv frame. Laurent Brochard, whose brother is the head builder at Cyfac, is also on one. Keeping things in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by geeker
    I think I read somewhere (on this forum?) that the TDF Decathlons were actually made by Cyfac. Could be wrong, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Questo
    The flat stages have forced me to squeeze every last bit of interest out of the "this is the break-away group" shots that seem to go on for eternity. Naturally, my gaze is going to fall on the bikes every so often, which has thankfully sparked a mystery; a mystery, to be sure, that is only a mystery because I haven't spent too much effort trying to resolve it, but a mystery nonetheless. So, with that senseless build-up out of the way:

What do the fine RBR readers know about Decathlon and BH bikes? I've seen almost every kind of exotic bike there is here in NYC's Central Park, but neither of those.

Looks like Liberty Seguros is using repainted Giant time trial bikes. Guess Saiz has a soft spot for Giant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jhr
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

Man thats obvious

Its even got the gold nokon cables from last years Once Giants.

jhr