• 05-16-2006
    reh1966
    Nashbar/Performance- Who makes their stuff
    I was curious as to who made the products that carry the Nashbar or Performance name? I wouldn't think that either made their own products because I am of the opinion that they are just retailers like K-Mart or Wal-Mart.

The second thing that I would like input on is to the quality of thier items. You can get what appears to be a reasonable good price on many of the items with their name-specifically the shoes and pedals. Thanks for any input.
  • 05-16-2006
    TurboTurtle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reh1966
    I was curious as to who made the products that carry the Nashbar or Performance name? I wouldn't think that either made their own products because I am of the opinion that they are just retailers like K-Mart or Wal-Mart.

The second thing that I would like input on is to the quality of thier items. You can get what appears to be a reasonable good price on many of the items with their name-specifically the shoes and pedals. Thanks for any input.

They are made by whoever has the lowest price this week. May be great - may be junk. - TF
  • 05-16-2006
    Mayday
    Hit or miss
    "They are made by whoever has the lowest price this week. May be great - may be junk. - TF"

That's right, they buy from a lot of different manufacturers. Some of the items you'll see in their catalogs are exactly the same as name-brand stuff, some is made just for them and doesn't compare as directly with name-brand items. I've had good and bad luck with the bargain buys -- from a pair of shorts that outlasted every other shorts I've owned, to a computer that failed after about one week of use.
  • 05-16-2006
    Dave_Stohler
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reh1966

Hey! Brilliant observation!!!! Like, you really thought that Nashbar/Performance had people sitting in the back of their corporate offices hammering components together???

Really, the same manufactureres make most off-brand stuff, regardless of what it says on the box. An example-Wellgo pedals. Wellgo makes some really cheap, crappy pedals in China, and sells some of them with their own brand name on them, but most carry names like Nashbar, Performance, Supergo, as well as several others. All are essentially the same (and all are junk, IMHO).
  • 05-16-2006
    CNY rider
    I think I remember Performance making their own clothing, at least I thought that was true in the past. I happen to think most of their clothing, particularly the shorts, are of good quality. I've never tried their components.
  • 05-16-2006
    Mr. Versatile
    I like Performance clothes too. I think they're different from Nashbars. Performance stuff fits me better, and feels better as well. Lasts pretty near forever. I like it much, much better than Pearl Izumi.

I bought some Look style Nashbar brand pedals from Nashbar. I think I paid around $40-45 for them. I put them on my commuter. They have a little over 2000 mostly winter miles on them, and so far, they're fine. I like'em. They don't clip in as easily or firmly as my Looks, but they're smooth & work very well.
  • 05-16-2006
    stevecaz
    Performance clothing is made by them, right here in the USA.

But....

I recently ordered a pair of tights and LS jersey in the spring, and they were the first pieces of Performance clothing I bought in 20 years that weren't made in the US. They were really cheaply priced items, but still, it used to be ALL of the clothing was US made. Most of it still is, but I'd call and check on the item you're looking at. However, support Performance and their US made stuff!!!!! You are literally keeping a real American at work.

As for pedals, yes Wellgo makes theirs and many many others, like Ritchey. I love my particular Nashbar Wellgos for 7 years now, but there are other Nashbar Wellgo designs that are indeed junk.

As for everything else like parts, of course it is sourced out to asian makers just as the highest branded stuff is too.
  • 05-16-2006
    bas
    Whoa! all my cheapo shirts from last year were Made in Mexico.

my cheapo performance shorts where usa

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevecaz
    Performance clothing is made by them, right here in the USA.

But....

I recently ordered a pair of tights and LS jersey in the spring, and they were the first pieces of Performance clothing I bought in 20 years that weren't made in the US. They were really cheaply priced items, but still, it used to be ALL of the clothing was US made. Most of it still is, but I'd call and check on the item you're looking at. However, support Performance and their US made stuff!!!!! You are literally keeping a real American at work.

As for pedals, yes Wellgo makes theirs and many many others, like Ritchey. I love my particular Nashbar Wellgos for 7 years now, but there are other Nashbar Wellgo designs that are indeed junk.

As for everything else like parts, of course it is sourced out to asian makers just as the highest branded stuff is too.

• 05-16-2006
    bas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    I like Performance clothes too. I think they're different from Nashbars. Performance stuff fits me better, and feels better as well. Lasts pretty near forever. I like it much, much better than Pearl Izumi.

I bought some Look style Nashbar brand pedals from Nashbar. I think I paid around $40-45 for them. I put them on my commuter. They have a little over 2000 mostly winter miles on them, and so far, they're fine. I like'em. They don't clip in as easily or firmly as my Looks, but they're smooth & work very well.

the mexico shirts required some extra sewing machine time by my mom.:mad:
  • 05-17-2006
    collectorvelo
    who makes it
    I think most of the clothing is either made in mexico
    or made in san deigo by people from mexico

I think most of the parts they sell that are not name brand are made in china
  • 05-17-2006
    stevecaz
    Performance clothing - It WAS made in NC.
    Well can someone clarify this. Their clothing as of recent was not made by Mexicans in California (if thats true). It was made by actual Americans in North Carolina. But then I just found this on the web referring to a woman:

"In 1990 she was hired at Nova Designs in Graham (North Carolina), making 'Performance' bicycle clothing for the Chapel Hill-based company. After a period of downsizing, the Human Resources director came from Chapel Hill in January 2005 to tell them they were losing their jobs."

So it appears they reduced they amount of clothing made in the US, and possibly moved US productions to another wholesale firm (where they might use crimaliens or legal guest workers). Does anyone know for sure?
    All I know is that I will try to buy Performance clothing which I've always liked, but first I will call and ask where each item I want is made, and exactly where. If its not made in the US and by American citizens, I won't buy it and I'll tell Performance why. I suggest others do the same, because its the only way they will ramp back up their domestic production. I will gladly pay the extra 10-20% it probably costs. I'm simply trying to support the US economy where possible. Clothing made by citizens is my money staying in the US economy. If its made by "guest workers", then a portion of that money is being sent out of the country. Since Performance has a long established record of manufacturing in the US by citizens, I will continue to hold them to that.
    On the other hand, I have no problem buying a Taiwanese made Performance branded stem since thats the common and long established source.
  • 05-17-2006
    Antonio_B
    Quote:

"In 1990 she was hired at Nova Designs in Graham (North Carolina), making 'Performance' bicycle clothing for the Chapel Hill-based company. After a period of downsizing, the Human Resources director came from Chapel Hill in January 2005 to tell them they were losing their jobs."

I believe you're right, stevecaz.

I used to live about a mile away from their facility on 15-501 towards Pittsboro in Chatham County. Not there anymore, huh?
  • 05-17-2006
    FatTireFred
    It's fairly easy to figure out... Wellgo and Tektro stuff are pretty obvious, but they also (used to?) use ITM and I think TTT. They have/had a quill stem just like the Goccia and their bar bend is/was exactly like the various Formas. Their house-branded stuff isn't all that bad...
  • 05-17-2006
    bas
    What American in their right mind would want to be stuck making clothing all day? LOL

Quote:

Well can someone clarify this. Their clothing as of recent was not made by Mexicans in California (if thats true). It was made by actual Americans in North Carolina. But then I just found this on the web referring to a woman:

So it appears they reduced they amount of clothing made in the US, and possibly moved US productions to another wholesale firm (where they might use crimaliens or legal guest workers). Does anyone know for sure?
    All I know is that I will try to buy Performance clothing which I've always liked, but first I will call and ask where each item I want is made, and exactly where. If its not made in the US and by American citizens, I won't buy it and I'll tell Performance why. I suggest others do the same, because its the only way they will ramp back up their domestic production. I will gladly pay the extra 10-20% it probably costs. I'm simply trying to support the US economy where possible. Clothing made by citizens is my money staying in the US economy. If its made by "guest workers", then a portion of that money is being sent out of the country. Since Performance has a long established record of manufacturing in the US by citizens, I will continue to hold them to that.
    On the other hand, I have no problem buying a Taiwanese made Performance branded stem since thats the common and long established source.