NBC Cycling coverage...woopi doo!!!!

Aug 2004

Thumbs down NBC Cycling coverage...woopi doo!!!!

I can't believe the poor coverage NBC allowed for the men's road event. What a joke. I supposed that if the American Team were in anyway a contender they would have increased the coverage. At least Axel took the bronze. I'm happy for him.

Aug 2004
    I completely agree.

Aug 2001
    Pretty much what I expected. I much preferred the CNBC coverage of the women's road race but even that was pretty choppy and hard to follow.

I guess I've been spoiled by OLN's coverage of the Tour.

Aug 2004
    One thing you have to remember:

NBC is horrible at covering events. They are much better at covering American athletes. If Tyler would have won, the coverage you saw would have been VERY different.

RoadBikeReview Member

... in "defense" of the network...

... while I agree that the overall coverage was... lacking... part of the problem was the venue itself...

Yes, NBC could have invested more "technology" and logistics in covering the event... but given the relatively low draw for what was more like an overblown criterium than a one day classic... they seemed to have opted for the cheap (few endeavours in these games that have so many contenders yet requires the gold to be played out over 5 hours over such distances will do better). Most road cycling events aren't considered "TV friendly" (remember, many American sports have been altered to fit TV).

Their coverage ot the men's event was... expected. Now, where I'll have issues is if they crap out on the velodrome (and they probably will)..

BS the DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadcruiser
    I can't believe the poor coverage NBC allowed for the men's road event. What a joke. I supposed that if the American Team were in anyway a contender they would have increased the coverage. At least Axel took the bronze. I'm happy for him.
    Come on. I'm a cycling fan as much as anyone. The road race is just one of thousands of events at the Olympics. I think we are blessed to have seen as much as we did.
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

Women's Race

And yet, no comment on the women's coverage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asgelle
    And yet, no comment on the women's coverage.
    ... didn't see... can't comment...

Beetpull DeLite
    My dad and I had the TV on mute so as not to disturb my mom's reading, and I kept seeing the name "Merkk" showing up on the Closed Captioning...not being too into the names of major cyclists, but well aware of Eddy Merckx, I was hoping they weren't really slaughtering so great of a name. So I had him de-mute for a second, and sure enough, heard them talking about Axel...oops on them.
    Last edited by GirchyGirchy; 08-15-2004 at 06:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Women's coverage was great

3+ hours on USA network this morning, with full coverage, good comentary and a great race. I'm not exactly sure how NBC is sharing their coverage (even though it was on USA, there were NBC logos all over everything). Wouldn't it be ironic if we got good coverage of this event because it was LESS popular than men's cycling? (Keep men's cycling on the REAL NBC with very shortened coverage, and let the women's race get full coverage on some OTHER network)

Power Napper

Loved watching the women's race today

USA is now "the newest member of the NBC family" so I guess they bought it out sometime recently. That's why the race was on. After watching nothing but men's racing all season, and seeing very little of any women's events in the cycling publications, this was a real treat.

Cannot bench own weight
    I watched the womens race and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was the first time i've ever seen a womans road race. I saw the last couple laps of the mens race and thought it was ok as well.

Jun 2003
    from the listings i saw, Bravo is carrying the track events?? Can someone please
    show the info for exactlly when/where it's going to be televised? many thanks!!

hi, I'm Larry

I saw it also

It was good coverage and a great race. A lot of action at the end. A lot of breaks, captures, counter attacks, bridges. I was very surprised at the German who took the silver. She was supose to be the better sprinter ot the final break of two. She controlled the last 1/2 lap and did not have any juice left to contest the sprint at the very end. Looked like she was being overly cautious. I guess her goal was to get on the podium and took the safe road.

I did not see any of the mens coverage. I missed the first 1 1/2 hours of the evenings broadcast and it was already over. Fortunately, I spent the morning "watching" it on the cyclingnews web feed. Our home town boy Jason McCartney got a couple of mentions in the first half of the race when he took a couple of pulls for USA team at the front, but got yanked out of the race in the second half when he and Levi dropped too far behind. Afterward, he said he was just out of his league and the heat was too much, but he was very happy to be of a little service to the team early in the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    3+ hours on USA network this morning, with full coverage, good comentary and a great race. I'm not exactly sure how NBC is sharing their coverage (even though it was on USA, there were NBC logos all over everything). Wouldn't it be ironic if we got good coverage of this event because it was LESS popular than men's cycling? (Keep men's cycling on the REAL NBC with very shortened coverage, and let the women's race get full coverage on some OTHER network)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe friday
    from the listings i saw, Bravo is carrying the track events?? Can someone please
    show the info for exactlly when/where it's going to be televised? many thanks!!
    www.nbcolympics.com has the schedule of events and TV air times.

This link will take you to a TV Guide type schedule grid. It's not the easiest to navigate through. Find out what day or what channel your events will be on first. The use the this to find out the details.
    http://nbcolympics.zap2it.com/grid.j...one=-5_1&genre=
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadcruiser
    I read the cyclingnews.com live coverage, then watched the road race, and I don't think I missed anything important. Because it was so hot (33C) and the course was tricky, it wasn't a very exciting race. I was surprised the race got as much coverage as it did.

Give points to NBC for having the good sense to get Phil and Paul as commentators.

Dec 2002
    Yep.

For everyone who complained about OLN's coverage, do remember that what you saw for the Men's Road Race was typical of what you would have seen "back in the day" (say, the late eighties/early nineties Tour de France). Having the stage live, plus a highlight show, plus a replay of it live is Nirvana compared to that.

BS the DC
    Quote Originally Posted by chbarr
    Yep.

For everyone who complained about OLN's coverage, do remember that what you saw for the Men's Road Race was typical of what you would have seen "back in the day" (say, the late eighties/early nineties Tour de France). Having the stage live, plus a highlight show, plus a replay of it live is Nirvana compared to that.
    You are sooo right.
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts