need 2 bikes

Thread: need 2 bikes

donuts?

need 2 bikes

i'm looking to pickup 2 bikes very soon - 1 for me and 1 for my wife.

she's not a rider, but wants to go out tooloing around with our 5 yr old son on the local MUT and on some other park trails (pea gravel and paved). i have no idea what to get - she wants something that provides an upright postion. i want something that i can put a rack on and use for several day bike path adventures (C&O Canal, Alleghany Highlands).

my wife thinks a $100 Walmart bike is fine - but i know it won't last more than a year or 2 of use. she thinks i'm crazy for wanting to drop $500 on a bike for her. any suggestions all wise and powerful RBR?
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Aug 2006

And now for something completely different.......

Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron
    ...she's not a rider, but wants to go out tooloing around with our 5 yr old son on the local MUT and on some other park trails (pea gravel and paved). i have no idea what to get - she wants something that provides an upright postion. i want something that i can put a rack on and use for several day bike path adventures (C&O Canal, Alleghany Highlands).

my wife thinks a $100 Walmart bike is fine - but i know it won't last more than a year or 2 of use. she thinks i'm crazy for wanting to drop $500 on a bike for her. any suggestions all wise and powerful RBR?
    A lot of recumbent enthusiasts are liking the Rans crank-forward bikes a lot (the Fusion, Cruz, Dynamik and Zenetic). The riding comfort is much-improved over a conventional upright, while the bikes are still efficient to pedal over long distances (unlike pretty-much all comfort and cruiser bikes).
    http://www.ransbikes.com/
    There really are NO other companies out there making bikes like this, with this geometry, and with this good of a seat. Rans makes front and rear racks for it, too.

Apparently Rans will sell these (upright/crank-forward) bikes by mail-order, if you have no dealer near (the LBS dealer told me this); the rest of their recumbents are available dealer-only. Rans is definitely a good brand of recumbent bike, they are one of the oldest US recumbent manufacturers there is. Their Stratus model is considered a "classic" U.S. recumbent, having been in production since 1979.

...The Fusion is the lowest priced of the four crank-forward frames at around $850 typically. I have one on order, was given a 3-4 week delivery estimate about two weeks ago.....
    ~

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron
    i'm looking to pickup 2 bikes very soon - 1 for me and 1 for my wife.

she's not a rider, but wants to go out tooloing around with our 5 yr old son on the local MUT and on some other park trails (pea gravel and paved). i have no idea what to get - she wants something that provides an upright postion. i want something that i can put a rack on and use for several day bike path adventures (C&O Canal, Alleghany Highlands).

I would get her something like a Specialized Crossroads, or a similar hybrid style bike. Perfect for the job, and vastly more reliable then a Walmart 45 pound junker.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

papa sboak
    Feb 2006

This is REALLY EASY...

Just go to the local bike shop and get exactly what you want... take HER to Walmart and get exactly what she wants. After you guys go riding for a while... you'll either be...

1. back at the local bike shop getting her a new ride (don't forget to rub it in!)
    2. riding without her (good or bad), especially if she's prideful and won't admit when she's wrong
    3. going back to the bike shop to get yourself a better bike due to the $$$ you'll be saving with her being perfectly happy on her Walmart bike
    4. regretting that you didn't get a better bike when making your initial purchase now that you have extra money from what would have been HER bike.

Great luck to you & your wife (hope she doesn't hate me)

donuts?
    i think she'll like the Crossroads - i just sent her an email with the url for the bike. she is totally clueless about good bikes. i won't discuss our conversation when i bought my son a Trek Jet... i'm sure it was funny to watch.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.