Need Cycling Computer Recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by D&MsDad View Post
    A contrarian view:

A cycle computer is a good tool if you need or want the data (training for racing; specific fitness goals; data junkie; specific limitations you want/need to be careful not to exceed; etc.).

Otherwise: how about a watch? Or, nothing, if you don't have a specific time by which you need to finish? It is remarkable (to me, at least) how much more attention one has available to enjoy the ride/scenery and listen to one's body when one is not distracted by the numbers on the computer.

--------
    if you aren't following routes, the watch idea makes sense especially if you aren't looking at data while riding, and even if you are a little they make mounts for watches. personally though in addition to following routes i find looking at speed and gradient particularly useful

Pack Fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    if you aren't following routes, the watch idea makes sense especially if you aren't looking at data while riding, and even if you are a little they make mounts for watches. personally though in addition to following routes i find looking at speed and gradient particularly useful
    Well, I don't spend much time staring at my computer unless I'm doing intervals. It could be on a saddle mount for all I care. Usually all I look at when riding is the elapsed time, so I can see how long I have left before I have to get home. Data is downloaded and then I care about all of the metrics.

A clunky watch? That would be more annoying to me when riding, and having to take my hands off the bars to look is worse for me than glancing down. The smaller form factor watches take more interaction to get various data points. Having a few items facing you all of the time so a quick glance down will provide all of the required information is more in line with my needs.

YMMV.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12