need help with foot pain, hot spot and toe pain,
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

need help with foot pain, hot spot and toe pain,

This is my second year road biking and saturday I did 115KM about 3:50 and after3 hours, the pain in the feet got so bad I had to stop, loosen my shoes and walk around for a few minutes. I have Shimano R122 shoes and Ritche SPD peddles. The pain started in the balls of my feet, and soon included the toes. I would appreciate any comments/info as I hope to extend my riding this summer to do a century ride later.
    thanks,
    jiggs.

Apr 2004
    ouch.

anyway, you don't need your shoes all tight and laced up. keep them real loose. i tie mine up just so the laces don't go flopping everywhere. your feet expand as they get warmer so if you lace tightly, after 15/30 mins that will be one tight shoe.. that should fix it. if not, get look pedals, which have a larger base and won't have hotspots.

sd

Quote Originally Posted by jiggs
    This is my second year road biking and saturday I did 115KM about 3:50 and after3 hours, the pain in the feet got so bad I had to stop, loosen my shoes and walk around for a few minutes. I have Shimano R122 shoes and Ritche SPD peddles. The pain started in the balls of my feet, and soon included the toes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

I do keep them pretty, I like the feel of no

room to slide around in the shoe. Maybe I'm getting them too tight. I might have to get into a pair of pedals with a bigger platform though. I wonder if anyone else has issues with the smaller, lighter pedals.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs
    room to slide around in the shoe. Maybe I'm getting them too tight. I might have to get into a pair of pedals with a bigger platform though. I wonder if anyone else has issues with the smaller, lighter pedals.
    the answer is yes. check out this site, which is linked from the RAAM site.

sd

http://www.ultracycling.com/equipment/setup.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

thanks sd, good info on that site. nm

good riding
    jiggsee

Jul 2004
    I had the same problem and I had strapped in too tight on the straps closer to the toes. Now I stand in my shoe when I strap in. It helps flatten out my foot moreso than sitting down and strapping in. I strap in pretty tight at the ankle strap.

Dana - Love his LOOK pedals too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

about ten minutes into my ride I pull hard on the toe and

and middle straps, prolly tooooo tight. It feels good to have real positive contact between the foot and the pedal, but after about 3 hours, it feels pretty bad. I'll leave a little room in the toe and see if that solves the problem. Otherwise a large platform pedal.
    thanks for comments

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Another tip - move the cleats back

Too-tight shoes and small platform pedals certainly are problems, but also consider moving the cleats back a bit on your shoes. This spreads the forces over a broader part of the foot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

If you have hard orthotics, wear them.

They also help disperse the contact across your foot.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.