Need a recommendation Please shed a little light
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Inching to 1000 (again)

Need a recommendation Please shed a little light

I want to get a headlight and taillight for the rare occasions when I might get caught riding at dusk or later. They wouldn't have to have hours of run time, just something to get me safely home. Ideally, the units would be light-weight, moderately priced, and easy to mount and unmount from the bike.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to brand and model that I should consider.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

define moderately priced?

i recommend the dinotte LED which you can get on ebay for 150, it weighsVERY little, pops on and off with one giant o-ring and a velcro strap, and is good for urban riding--i can overdrive the light in country (no lights) conditions if i go over 20mph, but otherwise it is very good. they make a helmet version that is red on the rear so you put it on your helmet for rear visibility for drivers and good fornt vis for you.
    jim

Sep 2006
    Jeff in Texas has it right...I think the Cateye Compact Opticube is the best simple front flasher out there. I commute a ton and it has never let me down. My favorite tail light is the Blackburn Mars 3.0- Again, bright and has a great run time- I also like its side flashers.
    Cheers.

Oct 2004
    Agree with noman on the opticube - with regard to the flash capability. But as far as being able to see with it in a non urban area, either be prepared for serious eye strain or an easy trip over your bars, as the light power is not good for much more than a brisk walk. If you are going to be riding at speed in a poorly lit area you'll need to step up in candle power. Look at the Niterider line. You can get their low end products for around $100 if you watch and they even make a tail light that will hook into the unit that is brighter than a car's tail light.

Formerly known as gotj
    I need a new tailight, too. What's the consensus on the best ones out there? I bought my last one about 4 years ago, and I imagine they've improved quite a bit since then.

Aug 2004

Turtle lights

I like the turtle lights from Mountain Equip Co-op here in Canada (you can check it out at www. mec.ca and follow the links to Cycling).
    It's a single flashing red LED for the rear and white LED for the front. Weighs under 35 gm (with batter) and is good for about 100+ hr, and waterproof.
    About $3.50 each. I just leave them on my bike permanently.
    THere is a new 6 LED rear light out now (also at MEC) for about $5 or $6 that is brighter.

May 2006
    For the headlight, ditto on the niterider line. I have their flamethrower and it is fantastic (but pricey). Their lower end stuff isn't HID, which may actually be good depending on where/when you want to be riding. The HID can throw some weird reflections off of dirt/snow etc. Def. check out their line, very good quality and very good customer service in my experiance. For a tail light, I'd check out the knog frog lights. You can pick them up for 10 bucks, so get 2 or 3 of them. Replacable battery, quick to clip on to a seatpost, handlebar, whatever you want to be visible, and you can throw a spare in your jersey and not even know it's there.

http://www.knog.com.au/

surprisingly visable. pretty cool light

Man, I'm Awesome
    Tape a couple of these to your handlbars.
    http://www.maglite.com/product.asp?psc=2AACELL&pt=R

Or if your really industrious I'm sure you could easily fashion a little holster out of some velcro or twisty ties.
    Last edited by brianmcg; 09-29-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Inching to 1000 (again)
    Define Moderately Priced

Fair enough question. Under $100 for both front and rear. Maybe < $100 is inexpensive rather and moderate. I'm talking about something that might get used once or twice a year as I am leery of riding at night in an urban area (DC). Thanks for the recommendation of the Dinotte.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav
    i recommend the dinotte LED which you can get on ebay for 150, it weighsVERY little, pops on and off with one giant o-ring and a velcro strap, and is good for urban riding-
    jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiDiver
    I need a new tailight, too. What's the consensus on the best ones out there? I bought my last one about 4 years ago, and I imagine they've improved quite a bit since then.
    Cateye TL-LD1000
    This thing can be seen during the day:
    Anything can be done to you that you can not prevent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Last night I picked up a headlight/taillight combo pack at REI. I bought this with the intent of being seen more than seeing after dark, as I really only expect to ride at dusk. This light can be used minimally for riding in darkness though, but I don't plan on doing it often.

Headlight
    Taillight

The combo was $40: REI link to package.

Formerly known as gotj
    Quote Originally Posted by StormShadow
    Cateye TL-LD1000
    This thing can be seen during the day:
    wow, shadow, that thing looks bright. 10 LEDs?

a bit pricier, but it might be worth it.

Burning Fists of Love

price and performance

1 million candle power, Home Depot, 35 or less bucks. You can recharge it as well.
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

Formerly known as gotj
    Quote Originally Posted by ttug
    1 million candle power, Home Depot, 35 or less bucks. You can recharge it as well.
    huh??

Burning Fists of Love

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDiver
    huh??
    Its a spot light and during the wintyer months or darker commutes of less than 5 miles, its great

RoadBikeReview Member
    Its a spot light and during the wintyer months or darker commutes of less than 5 miles, its great
    BEHOLD, Cyclops. We used our wheel fork mounts (same width!) to mount the cyclops to my buddies Yakima rack. NO, we did not drive the car around like this, it was just proof of concept. The light is a little heavy to ride with and it's not nice to blind other riders who travel in the direction opposite yourself. Though they may enjoy the massive heat this thing puts off

(my friend)

Burning Fists of Love

good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    BEHOLD, Cyclops. We used our wheel fork mounts (same width!) to mount the cyclops to my buddies Yakima rack. NO, we did not drive the car around like this, it was just proof of concept. The light is a little heavy to ride with and it's not nice to blind other riders who travel in the direction opposite yourself. Though they may enjoy the massive heat this thing puts off

(my friend)
    Well, I think thats the 7 million candle power model or maybe the 10 million??

I did manage to rig up only the 1 million lamp with Duct tape and of course the light could not be on for more than 20 minutes, I had back up lights on my helmet.

I tell you what thought, 1 million gives you almost day light conditions on smaller trails. Is it true that the 7 ,illion and above models can tear a hole in almost any material?

I did at one point consider that blinding the oncoming person was not polite but well afetr a few close calls, I decided .....well you know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, I think thats the 7 million candle power model or maybe the 10 million??

I did manage to rig up only the 1 million lamp with Duct tape and of course the light could not be on for more than 20 minutes, I had back up lights on my helmet.

I tell you what thought, 1 million gives you almost day light conditions on smaller trails. Is it true that the 7 ,illion and above models can tear a hole in almost any material?

I did at one point consider that blinding the oncoming person was not polite but well afetr a few close calls, I decided .....well you know
    That one is 15 mil. It's more than capable - I can see detail on nearby apartment complexes over half mile away

Burning Fists of Love

gimme gimme gimme

Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    That one is 15 mil. It's more than capable - I can see detail on nearby apartment complexes over half mile away
    I got to get one. Where did you purchase that item? I have a fellow riding geek with a bent that has a trailer and I am dreaming of mayber a combined output of 30 to 45 million. Think of the light and the possibilities.............I am just tingling ........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Costco Was $30.

Alien Musician
    I was at Target this lunch and saw a 3.8 watt flashlight with Luxeon emitter
    for about $48 and it was unbelievably bright, brightest LED light I've seen yet.

It had a "try me" button and it nearly blew my eyes out.

I shone it on the wall 30 feet away - huh, never seen that from an LED before.

I've got two Cateye EL300s from 3 years ago. Those have 5 individual
    white LEDs each so two with ten shining was my go-to commute lights
    in 2003.

I have a Viewpoint Gen3 with a 1 watt Luxeon emitter that is as bright as
    the two EL300s together. That's better but the light mount broke and I'm
    still waiting for a new one.

I would imagine this 3.8 watt flashlight was very nearly twice as bright
    as the Gen3 and the LENS on this thing just made it brighter than any
    LED I've seen.

They also had a light you can mount to your head/helmet that had
    a single 3 watt emitter, but my guess is, a combination of 3/4 watt
    LEDs would give you enough light to see decently.

Biggest problem is, not enough and if you go too fast you outrun
    your beam.

HID is great but $200 minimum. LEDs have been barely good
    enough but they're getting much better very quickly.

I hear the next generation of 5 watt LEDs are out but unsure as
    to their suitability for bike headlights yet.

I've been dreaming of the Lupine Wilma8 which is four three-watt
    LED lights mounted to a single fixture with a LI battery pack - now
    we're getting nearly to where HID is. If you can upgrade those
    three watters to four watters or even five then you've got undeniable
    useable light.

Who else uses LED headlights as flashlights around the house?

Apr 2000
    Who else uses LED headlights as flashlights around the house?

I got a Cateye EL-400 to carry as a backup bike light, since most of my "real" light systems are pretty elderly and the batteries don't always hold a good charge; it does make a good flashlight, although the combination of the blue-white light with the yellowish fringing is a little weird.

As to the OP, you can get the Cygolite Night Rover with a NiMH battery for about $70; it has dual 6w halogens, and is a good compromise between LEDs and HIDs. I would never ride off-road with one of these, but I've used it for commuting and it does a good job.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    The new NiteRider MiNewt is great. It has a 4 watt LED with great output and runtime. List is $159, but wait until REI runs their next 20% off sale and get one for $125

We have used ours on the last four night rides and they are very bright with a very even, but narrow field.

Formerly known as gotj

Cateye TL-LD1000

I just ordered the Cateye TL-LD1000 from Amazon. They have it for $27 with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Rear-Bike-...sporting-goods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast