Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Need recommendations on bike computer

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  bike_meister 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new computer for my bike. I used a Planet Bike Protege a few years back and got good service out of it. It is a bit ugly though.

I have tried a couple of CatEye computers, but wasn't crazy about them. They are a bit small and not user-friendly at all. I don't want to spend all of my time scrolling through all kinds of extra data.

I'm looking for a simple computer that will allow me to track my current speed, average speed, current mileage, total mileage, and length of time for the ride. I don't really need much other than that, and I would prefer for it to be wireless and able to be mounted on the stem.

Anybody have any suggestions?

#3 ·
Bontrager Node

Really liked this computer. Wireless, large display, ANT+. There are two versions with only slight differences in features other than one has a HR strap and the other doesn't. I liked the ANT+ compatibiloty as it allows you to add cadence sensor, HR strap and power meter should you wish. Was not cheap but fell in line with oer manufacturer prices.

#7 ·
Really liked this computer. Wireless, large display, ANT+. There are two versions with only slight differences in features other than one has a HR strap and the other doesn't. I liked the ANT+ compatibiloty as it allows you to add cadence sensor, HR strap and power meter should you wish. Was not cheap but fell in line with oer manufacturer prices.
+1 on the Bontrager Node. If you want more data on a single screen, look at a Garmin 500.

#4 ·
I have a sigma 1609 cadence which is wired, but they have several models of both wired and wireless. Each model range has two or three different spec points (basic, cadence, wireless,etc). I like it better than the cateye on my mtb. The display is easier to read and usability is better IMO. Plus they all work on stem or bars and are pretty inexpensive.

#6 ·
I have the Sigma 1909 and really like it. This one also has the wireless cadence and heart rate monitor. The unit is quite small but the display in large and easy to read. It also mounts on the stem. It was quite simple to set up and easy to operate. Did not need to spend much time figuring it out with the manual or trying to remember an infinate number of button combinations to pull up the functions I want. I don't recall it being very expensive either. It is my second Sigma, I have a wired version on my MTB that has fewer features, but works very well also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.