Need some pics of Independent Fabrications Crown Jewels
    RoadBikeReview Member

Need some pics of Independent Fabrications Crown Jewels

Hi, like the title says I'm looking for some pictures of steel Crown Jewels. I am hoping to order one in the next couple of days but I'm not really sure on what color I want to get. I'm hoping to see some different combinations on here. Right now I am kind of thinking about metallic silver fade to metallic purple. It's just a thought though.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 2002
    I have one with metallic blue fading to metallic silver. Turned out awsome. Will post a pic later.

iedereen op de fiets
    Here's mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2003
    Check out their web site at http://ifbikes.com/
    They've got a section devoted to paint schemes.
    "Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"

Jan 2003
    Check out ifrider.com. There's lots of user submitted IF pics.

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Hi, like the title says I'm looking for some pictures of steel Crown Jewels. I am hoping to order one in the next couple of days but I'm not really sure on what color I want to get. I'm hoping to see some different combinations on here. Right now I am kind of thinking about metallic silver fade to metallic purple. It's just a thought though.

Thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone. I've checked both ifbikes and ifriders. I'm just looking for some differnent color fades.

Oct 2002
    Here it is in a state of partial assembly. I would have liked the fork painted to match, but $200 extra seemed a little steep.

RoadBikeReview Member
    WOW, that is one of the best looking ones I have seen so far. Great looking bike.

I'm having a lot of problems deciding on colors. I've sort of gotten away from the silver to purple idea, mainly because I don't want my friends harrasing me for years to come about the purple.

I'm sort of kicking around the idea of silver fade to grey or grey fade to black or black fade to silver. Any opinions??

BTW, I'm also considering silver fade to blue now, except the fade will be front to back. Here I was looking for help but now I'm just more confused.

RoadBikeReview Member

Two fades

Here is my IF with a fade, currently on EBAY

Oct 2002

Smile

I feel your pain. I spent more time picking out my last bike than my last house!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone, they are all beautiful bikes.

Well I just placed my order. I ended up going with metallic silver fade to platinum with silver/black decals. It will also have the pure silver head badge and the Ouza fork.

Just out of curiousity, how long did it take everyone to get theres from the time the frame was ordered until it was delivered?

Also, what size seatpost and front derailleur do I need to get?

Thanks again!

RoadBikeReview Member
    So have you taken your first ride on it yet? If so what was your first impression?

Oct 2002
    Absolutely, that pic's from last fall. Feels like you would expect a good steel bike to. Handling is predictable and leans a bit more to the stable rather than quick side, which is what I wanted. Details such as welds and paintwork are what you'd expect at this price. If their geomtry works for you (or you're going full custom), you can't go wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well hopefully the geometry works since it is a full custom frame. At least it should be after the 6 pages of questions and the 4 pictures of me on a bike that I included.

Apr 2004
    IF is a fantastic bike. If you would send all your sales related questions to them, I'm sure they would service you better. FYI, the size seatpost you need depends on the internal diameter of the seattube of the bike you are getting. So, call IF today and don't delay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks Ricky, I just hate to have to keep calling them. Plus, it's not always that easy getting ahold of a real person there. Those guys are pretty busy.

Mar 2003
    Try going through their web site for Contact info, then send them an email. They've always been real good about answering them quickly.
    "Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"

Oct 2002
    Mine took around two months. Original estimate was 4-6 weeks. After dealing with several small builders, I figure their estimate x2 is a pretty good guideline. Make sure you post a picture when you get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well I just changed my order. I just got off the phone with them and changed my order from the steel frame to titanium. I sure hope this thing is as nice as everyone says it is!

Oct 2002
    Nice! What are you planning to build it up with?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well I am planning on using most of the parts that I have on my Giant TCR Composite 1.

Here is the build:
    King headset (new)
    Reynolos Ouza fork (comes with frame)
    Giant carbon stem (doesn't say giant on it and it's sweet)
    Kestrel EMS Pro carbon bar
    FSA K-Force Lite carbon seatpost
    Specialized Body Geometry Pro Saddle
    FSA Platinum Pro Ti bottom bracket
    FSA Carbon Pro team issue double crankset
    Sun ME14A Rims
    Hugi 240 hubs
    Competition spokes
    Michelin Pro Race 700x23c tires
    Ultegra Shifters
    Ultegra derailleurs
    Ultegra Cassette
    SRAM PC69 chain
    Crank Brothers Eggbeaters chrome pedals

I hope to eventually replace the ultegra with dura ace, however that will be after I get this frame paid off. My goal for the winter will be to switch the drivetrain over.

mac

Feb 2004

Bad shot...

...of a nice bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well I made my final decision. The bike is going to be titanium with a 3/4 paint job. I am going with the pearl orange paint with silver/black decals. It's hard to believe this paint job costs an additional $200. Does anyone have any pictures of an IF painted the pearl orange?

djg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

That's quite an upcharge.

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Well I made my final decision. The bike is going to be titanium with a 3/4 paint job. I am going with the pearl orange paint with silver/black decals. It's hard to believe this paint job costs an additional $200. Does anyone have any pictures of an IF painted the pearl orange?
    3/4 pearl blue is free (with your custom ti frame) but pearl orange is an extra 200 bucks?

The IF web site has pics of a couple of pearl orange bikes (where they say that the paint cost 150). Looks nice, IMO (FWIW).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well supposively any paint on a ti bike is extra now and to get the pearl orange is more on top of that because it takes two colors to make the pearl orange. If you look at the number for the pearl orange it has two numbers instead of one. I may have misunderstood though, it could be $150 instead of $200.