Need some storage ideas - small parts, bars, gels, etc.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Need some storage ideas - small parts, bars, gels, etc.

My garage setup is bugging me - the bikes, clothes and tools are good. It's rest of the stuff that needs some organization, e.g. small parts, nuts, bolts, brackets/mounts, cables, ferrels, cleats, tubes, bars, gels, glasses, etc, etc...

Some of ^that^ is in tackle and tool boxes, some in small bins/plastic drawers, some just scattered on the shelf... There has GOT to be a better way - something not cycling related? I'm looking for that "Oh $*&@. How did I not think of that?" idea.

Caveat - I really don't want a bunch of those cheap plastic bins/drawers... that's the last resort solution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    My garage setup is bugging me - the bikes, clothes and tools are good. It's rest of the stuff that needs some organization, e.g. small parts, nuts, bolts, brackets/mounts, cables, ferrels, cleats, tubes, bars, gels, glasses, etc, etc...

Some of ^that^ is in tackle and tool boxes, some in small bins/plastic drawers, some just scattered on the shelf... There has GOT to be a better way - something not cycling related? I'm looking for that "Oh $*&@. How did I not think of that?" idea.

Caveat - I really don't want a bunch of those cheap plastic bins/drawers... that's the last resort solution.
    I dont think the hard part is finding something to put them in, its having the discipline to keep it organized. I use the "heap storage" method. Easy to setup; I just need to spend a hour or so rifling through the heap to find what I need

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://www.amazon.com/Ikee-Design-S...TAZ7HA52CQPMY4

Do a search for "Apothecary cabinet" or "Library card file".
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Ikee-Design-S...TAZ7HA52CQPMY4

Do a search for "Apothecary cabinet" or "Library card file".
    Thats such a great idea, if you can find a real one they are even attractive!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    If you have some drawer space available Schaller makes nice plastic organizer boxes.

https://www.schallercorporation.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    You should get a multi-drawer tool cabinet and fill it Kaizen foam. Then make a cut-out for every item you need to store. Each item will have its perfect place, always there.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    These work good. Keeps small stuff organized. But you can still see what's in them. I hate not being able to see my $#it when it's hidden in containers and drawers.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-bin...ack-63151.html

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I dont think the hard part is finding something to put them in, its having the discipline to keep it organized.
    OMG So true!
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    These work good. Keeps small stuff organized. But you can still see what's in them. I hate not being able to see my $#it when it's hidden in containers and drawers.

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-bin...ack-63151.html

Oh I definitely agree. These would work for me or the one Velodog linked to below:

Last edited by Lombard; 06-10-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tig... I think you're right. As much as I like the idea of the apothecary drawer system or something equally as cool, I know I'll spend half my time opening and closing drawers looking for stuff - even with little labels.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Tig... I think you're right. As much as I like the idea of the apothecary drawer system or something equally as cool, I know I'll spend half my time opening and closing drawers looking for stuff - even with little labels.
    Snapped a couple pics of my bins. Mounted them inside a cabinet door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I use this combination: https://www.woot.com/offers/craftsma...hest-cabinet-2 . The Rolling base sits in a closet in the garage and the smaller top piece sits at one end of my workbench where I do all my bike maintenance work. Bike is on a Park shop stand.

a real member's member
    look at carnival sales online. sometimes you can find one of those big clown heads with the mouth agape where you can toss everything in there. charge your neighbors for a toss and make a buck. win-win. but i would charge 50˘ / toss. no need to make enemies at this point. you can get stuffed animal prizes for next to nothing on ebay. look for something unique, like a stuffed sea horse. when your neighbor spends $10, he needs something unique to walk away with so he's not so pissed off he pisses on your rose bed. not that piss on a rose bed is a bad thing, but you don't want to peek through the drapes on a beautiful morning to see your neighbor pissing in your rose bed. #justsayin'
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    look at carnival sales online. sometimes you can find one of those big clown heads with the mouth agape where you can toss everything in there. charge your neighbors for a toss and make a buck. win-win. but i would charge 50˘ / toss. no need to make enemies at this point. you can get stuffed animal prizes for next to nothing on ebay. look for something unique, like a stuffed sea horse. when your neighbor spends $10, he needs something unique to walk away with so he's not so pissed off he pisses on your rose bed. not that piss on a rose bed is a bad thing, but you don't want to peek through the drapes on a beautiful morning to see your neighbor pissing in your rose bed. #justsayin'
    Why go with one clown head when six buckets has more storage capacity?

grand-prize-game.png
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    OldZaskar I am in need of the same idea, so glad you posted this.

I know there are some real organized people on this forum who could post a pic and refer to the storage item in use, hoping to see some good examples as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I don't see the reluctance of those mulit boxes with a clear cover.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/19-bin...ase-93928.html

you have your TB for tools, you can organize all the little stuff, bike, screws, etc. and dedicate different ones for various genre .... and you can see what's in them without opening them.

I just cleaned my work bench off and just love them!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post

you have your TB for tools, you can organize all the little stuff, bike, screws, etc. and dedicate different ones for various genre .... and you can see what's in them without opening them.

I just cleaned my work bench off and just love them!
    There is no way in hell my bike would fit in one of those little buckets.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post

you have your TB for tools, you can organize all the little stuff, bike, screws, etc. and dedicate different ones for various genre .... and you can see what's in them without opening them.!
    I have a few of those now. You're right - they do work great. I also have some of the open bins for nuts and bolts (non-bike stuff) like what Tig posted. Of the two, I like the open bins - just easier to access than dragging out the box and then looking through it.

As of now, the plan is to embrace the simplicity of the open bins... and build a cabinet for one of the two sets of shelves - the one that get accessed less often - to hide the chemicals/cleaners, buffer, pads, buckets, etc. And stick with open shelves on the other side - for the stuff that's accessed daily, e.g. lights, gels, gloves, helmet, bike parts...

All was well with my little "shop" until I recently added another two-wheeled toy - which of course requires its own parts pins, tools, etc...

Last edited by OldZaskar; 06-12-2019 at 04:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I don't think you'll be able to hang that one on the wall. If you start hanging every other one by the rear wheel you may find room though.
    2x4 stand? your lucky you got a center stand on that new one.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    The 2x4 has since been modified a bit - just cut down 1.5". The center stand carries most of the weight - the 2x4 stand gets the front tire off the ground. It's surprisingly stable.

I mounted the hooks for the bikes on the boards to allow for movement - can put the hooks anywhere if i add bikes, need room, etc. I don't want/need more space on that side of the workbench. Gotta leave room for the motorcycle and pulling a bike down, airing up, etc. There's usually a car on my wife's side of the garage ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Slat wall with bins. Really flexible you can use to store tools, etc.

IMG_0586.JPG