Need a traditional bike rack for garage...suggestions?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

Need a traditional bike rack for garage...suggestions?

I have mounts to hang all of the family's various bikes on the garage wall, but with summer here the bikes are getting a lot more use and taking them on and off the wall is a pain, and Dad (me) is really the only one able to...so bikes are usually scattered all across the garage floor. I'm thinking a traditional bike rack that you simply push the front or rear tire into is what is needed to keep bikes from being piled on top of each other. My road bike will still be stored on the wall (suspect tires too skinny anyhow), so it will be primarily used for mountain bikes, kids bikes and our two "trailer" bikes.

I've pasted in several examples from Amazon. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Road: Fondriest TF1 / Campy Super Record / Zipp 404 / Garmin Vector / Antares / 3T bars, stem & post
    MTB: Intense Spider / XTR disc / Fox TALAS / XTR tubeless / Time ATAC / Aliante / Thomsonn post / IRC Serac XC tubeless / Syntace stem and bar
    Favorite road: "Seven Sisters" on Mt. Tamalpais
    Favorite trail: Tahoe Rim Trail's "Kingsbury Grade to the Bench"

waterproof*
    how any bikes do you have? will they fit in the space available?
    * not actually a Rock Star

duh...
    for the sportrack/hollywood, you can comfortably fit 3 bikes on one side and 2 on the other... road bikes work fine, but if the tires are really small on the kids bikes, they may not stand up

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Gator
    I have mounts to hang all of the family's various bikes on the garage wall, but with summer here the bikes are getting a lot more use and taking them on and off the wall is a pain, and Dad (me) is really the only one able to...so bikes are usually scattered all across the garage floor. I'm thinking a traditional bike rack that you simply push the front or rear tire into is what is needed to keep bikes from being piled on top of each other. My road bike will still be stored on the wall (suspect tires too skinny anyhow), so it will be primarily used for mountain bikes, kids bikes and our two "trailer" bikes.

I've pasted in several examples from Amazon. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
    I ran into a situation where I wanted to use my bike storage space for old film, prints and newspaper clips after I retired. The catch was that I still needed to have a home for my bikes.

This was my solution. Because it's on wheels and because it has such a small footprint, I can move it from one side of the room to another when I want to get to stuff on the shelves.

You still have to lift the front end of the bike up to hang it up, but it doesn't have to go as high as hooks on the wall or ceiling.

I'm surprisingly happy with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wish I had known about the cycle tree about 2 months ago.... Instead, I did this:

I thought it would be worse to lift them to the ceiling, but even for me (5'3'' wimp) it's not. My son's bikes are down low on a stand made from PVC (instructions were posted here before Christmas. It works ok on his 650 cc wheels, but I never could get it to work well for 700cc wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    You're lucky: you have a lot more bikes than I do and you have a whole lot more space than I do.

My storage space is 10x10 and I have 18" shelves on three walls that make that even smaller.

The Cycle Tree has been a real blessing. Like I said in the blog entry, I was prepared to say I had wasted $49, but it's worked out great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Yep, hanging bikes is a great way to store them. In fact, we hang most of ours. But on weekends etc., when bikes are in and out all the time, the tend to get left all over the garage floor...so, just looking for a bike rack to hold 'em up and keep them from falling over on each other. So, any opinions or experience with any of the racks in my original post atop appreciated!
    Road: Fondriest TF1 / Campy Super Record / Zipp 404 / Garmin Vector / Antares / 3T bars, stem & post
    MTB: Intense Spider / XTR disc / Fox TALAS / XTR tubeless / Time ATAC / Aliante / Thomsonn post / IRC Serac XC tubeless / Syntace stem and bar
    Favorite road: "Seven Sisters" on Mt. Tamalpais
    Favorite trail: Tahoe Rim Trail's "Kingsbury Grade to the Bench"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I've got two of the RACOR stands and I like them. Mine came from ACE Hardware.

I did find that the front disk brakes on the mountain bikes required that I increase the diameter of the front tire contact point, (duct tape) which prevented the disk rotor from rubbing on the rack. They are fine as is for rim brakes.

I have tire sizes from 700x23 to 26x2.8, with and without fenders, and the rack works well with all of them.

hit it
    What about a homemade PVC pipe bike rack?

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT
    What about a homemade PVC pipe bike rack?

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm
    Thanks NUTT. That's the shiznit, yo!
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    If you are gunna go PVC use schedule 40. The pipe they used for that rack looks like it is real thin wall stuffed used for irrigation.