Need Tucson and Palm Springs help
    Old and Fixed, Moderator

Need Tucson and Palm Springs help

I have an extended one month business trip to Los Angeles. I'm driving from Dallas this Friday. My plan is to take three days with overnight stops in El Paso and Palm Springs.

I want to get out and ride for 20-30 miles in Tucson on Saturday mid-day and Palm Springs on Sunday morning. I've never been in either city and really just want to stretch my legs so I'd prefer MUT's or bike paths. I found a bike map on-line of Tucson MUT's. Does Palm Springs have MUT's?

Any help would be appreciated...

Also, any LAX area riders, I'm staying in El Segundo and working at LAX so if anyone wants to ride between June 14 and July 9th, let me know.

Thanks in advance...........
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

eminence grease
    Dave - while not an expert in Tucson riding, I do get over there once in a while (wife's family.) Most of my riding has been done during El Tour and on the MUTs along the Santa Cruz in South Tucson. The former (and its sister Tour of the Tucson Mountains) are described in detail here: http://www.pbaa.com/Home.html

The MUTs in my uneducated experience are short and not tied together very well. If I was heading out as a tourist, I'd probably look to ride in the East or West sections of the Sahuaro National Monument. That or the Tour of the Mountains route. I've also done some riding around Oro Valley.

One word to the wise, be prepared to roast. I know you're a Texan, and I'm a New Mexican, so certainly we're not strangers to heat. However, AZ doesn't do Daylight Savings Time, so the sun comes up at about 5:15am which means it gets pretty hot by the civilized riding times. I left my aunt's house last Friday and it was 102 at 10am. Contrasted to my place where it doesn't hit 102 until 4pm. Bring lots of water.

RoadBikeReview Member

Palm Springs / L.A. area riding

For riding / training in the Los Angeles area take a look at www.socalcycling.com and on the l/h side of the site you will see a link for training rides. Lots of strong riders in the area and many training rides. My personal favorite is called Como Street but it is down in Orange County.

As for Palm Springs, there isn't much out there unless you like flats. But there is a nice climb out of Palm Springs up to a town I don't remember, (it's been 11 years since I lived in SoCal) but if you are facing Palm Springs from the interstate you can see the climb going up into the hills. The temperature really drops as you get above the desert floor.

Nat
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    Dave - while not an expert in Tucson riding, I do get over there once in a while (wife's family.) Most of my riding has been done during El Tour and on the MUTs along the Santa Cruz in South Tucson. The former (and its sister Tour of the Tucson Mountains) are described in detail here: http://www.pbaa.com/Home.html

The MUTs in my uneducated experience are short and not tied together very well. If I was heading out as a tourist, I'd probably look to ride in the East or West sections of the Sahuaro National Monument. That or the Tour of the Mountains route. I've also done some riding around Oro Valley.

One word to the wise, be prepared to roast. I know you're a Texan, and I'm a New Mexican, so certainly we're not strangers to heat. However, AZ doesn't do Daylight Savings Time, so the sun comes up at about 5:15am which means it gets pretty hot by the civilized riding times. I left my aunt's house last Friday and it was 102 at 10am. Contrasted to my place where it doesn't hit 102 until 4pm. Bring lots of water.
    I used to live in Tucson. For a route that has little traffic, I'd go to the east Saguaro Nat'l Monument like terry b suggested. It has nice scenery and rolling hills. The cars will be driving only about 10-20 mph too. Hotter than hell though.

Another option would be to do a loop on the west foothills, on Camino del Oeste road and thereabouts. You could park at Pima Community College and head out from there. There'd be a little traffic at 45mph, no shoulder.

I'd take either option over the MUT's.